High School Starting A Team

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 16, 2012
So. Since I no longer can be involved in my schools team due to personal reason, I have been trying to look into coaching. Basically any way to stay involved in cheerleading.
How do you start a team? Or at least get involved with assistant coaching/coaching?
This is something I do plan to do as my future career besides teaching. So if not needed now it will be eventually:)

My first (and current) coaching job was at a small private school. The school didn't even have cheerleading, so I had to start from scratch. After reading what you put here, I think you should look into helping out at the private schools. It doesn't hurt to inquire :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I think you should apply for other local schools . Including the ones that already have coaches . (You'd be surprise at the number of "place holders"athletics directors have on file In case they need an emergency last minute coach).

I have learned a lot on this board, and It's not easy starting a new team. You won't like what many users say , but at the end of the day , it's useful advice that can take you long ways. I didn't want to accept any thing they was saying , but after seeing how Much I was struggling trying to start my team last minute , they were right .

Beyond that , if you want to start a performance team , or coach at an establish team at a recreational center or all star gym , contact the director and apply . If you want to start a performance team , I suggest that you wait until next spring so you have more time to plan. .

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Most schools or states require certification, I know in Illinois to even be a paid assistant coach you have to be 21. Most schools around here won't even hire anyone or allow someone to volunteer unless they are at least 18 and graduated as they want to avoid coaches and athletes being the same age (it can cause issues). My best suggestion is to try with a rec team or local gym/YMCA and start with helping to teach cheer classes.
No matter what job you apply for they will probably ask you why you aren't still participating when you can so be prepared for that situation. Employers will be skeptical on hiring you if you say "I can't stand the coach/director/etc." Not trying to sound mean or rain on your parade but want you to be prepared for that. Good luck!!

Most schools or states require certification, I know in Illinois to even be a paid assistant coach you have to be 21. Most schools around here won't even hire anyone or allow someone to volunteer unless they are at least 18 and graduated as they want to avoid coaches and athletes being the same age (it can cause issues). My best suggestion is to try with a rec team or local gym/YMCA and start with helping to teach cheer classes.
No matter what job you apply for they will probably ask you why you aren't still participating when you can so be prepared for that situation. Employers will be skeptical on hiring you if you say "I can't stand the coach/director/etc." Not trying to sound mean or rain on your parade but want you to be prepared for that. Good luck!!
Slightly unrelated, but I love the fact that so many states now have coaching standards for cheerleading. Shows that at least someone has our backs. :)

Does your area have a multi-district hiring website? In our area, wherever teaching positions are posted, that's where coaching positions are posted as well. Search on Google for those and don't be afraid to venture into a neighboring town/city. Also be sure to search private and Catholic schools. They usually do their hiring on their actual school website. Good luck, I hope you get back in soon!

Back