All-Star Substance Free Programs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I hope a college student is old enough to consider the risk! The fact that your parents taught you about drug interactions and medications is wonderful. But not everyone has that upbringing. I never read the book you are referring to in school and I am 29, so I don't know if that is new, but I will look into it for sure as it may be something we can have some clients read.

I can't agree more that we need more education regarding drugs, real education not just the "just say no." We need more education along the lines of "you didn't say no, but here is how you stop" kind. Or the "you didn't say no, this is what can happen to you" kind.

it's a german book so i don't think it is known in the us, i can only recommend it though
this is it
Christiane F: Autobiography of a Girl of the Streets and Heroin Addict: Christiane F, Susanne Flatauer: 9780553208979: Amazon.com: Books

it's an old book but unfortunately the story is not :/

(just using your post as a jumping off point for my novel...)

I don't think this is exactly true. I assume you are referring to people like @ACEDAD and what would be me if I'd chosen to post my reaction.

I assure you, this proves NOTHING of the sort - it is highly doubtful that anyone, anywhere has not been touched by drug addiction. I know I have (and still am) - and that's why my stance is what it is.

What our reactions should prove to you is that we're older (and I'd like to think wiser) and tired of the excuses. Tired of reading things like, "Oh pressure to get good grades is so high nowadays. Pressure to do well on exams is so crazy now." Why do teenagers think pressure is more now than when we were young? I've been in college during both generations, and I can honestly say... No. Pressure in college now is nothing like it used to be. I was blown away by the amount of coddling the schools do now - and the amount of kids that don't fail when they should. Cheating? Used to get you kicked out of school right off the bat. Now it's just expected. So, to the poster that said pressure is so high now: no, it's not. It's the same or less than it's always been.

Things your generation did not invent:
Drug addiction
Pressure from parents
Faking pregnancies to keep a boy
Drug overdoses
Partying
Underage Drinking

Things your generation did invent:
Misunderstanding "drug addiction is a disease" to mean that it's ok and socially acceptable.

This is the part that's frustrating for us oldies. Yes, drug addiction is a disease. A horrible, awful one that destroys everyone it touches and everyone around them. Yes, all of us have had it touch our lives. The difference is some of us see it differently. By saying, "School is so hard! Sports are so hard! Pressure is so intense! Parents don't know or understand any of the stuff we do! Poor kids! Ooh, this is so sad. She must have been doing it for this reason or that reason" you are basically excusing the problem.

Stop condoning the behavior. I know a lot of you say you aren't, but then your whole post goes on to condone it and make excuses.

Stop excusing it. It is not OK to do drugs. Period. If someone fails to get that message and does them anyway, it's sad. But it's still not OK. Stop coming on here and posting stories about all the kids you know that do drugs. Or stop saying you don't condone drug use - looking the other way is the same as condoning when you're talking about things like HEROIN. Stop justifying it.

Sorry for the rant - but this is where our differing perspectives come from. Most of you see it as, "Oh they're so old. They don't understand what it's like NOW." And we see it as, "Oh... Been there, done ALL of that. That is NOT OK. I need these kids to see that this is not OK! Why are they acting like it's ok?"

(last note - I am completely blown away by the number of people who've said they are surprised by these findings)

ETA @flcheermom and @CharlotteASMom you both said EXACTLY what I was trying to say, perfectly!

This!! Thank you so much for saying this.
One thing you mentioned that I never understand is the need for drugs for school. Maybe it's just me but I got a 4.0 in undergrad and currently have a 3.9 in an extremely difficult and intense graduate program without ever touching a drug to help me. Everyone has the option to say no, and everyone is perfectly capable of getting through school without them. You (general you) just need to find better study habits than resorting to illegal drug use.

Was it Go Ask Alice? We read that book in school and it was so awful. Def scared me at the time.

I've read that book thousands of times - I love it. My 12 year old just read it for the first time. I think it has a lasting effect on people. I don't know about it helping prevent drug use, but it sure scared me!

But I don't think that's the one she was referring to because she said the girl is still alive, and in Go Ask Alice the girl dies.

My dad is drug eradication officer so I was fortunate to be educated on these things from a young age. When I was in eighth grade me dad sat me down and opened up a brief case filled with every drug possible and told me what it was and what it did to you. Would some parents frown upon teaching a thirteen year old about how pain medication can lead to heroin use? Probably. But I managed to steer clear of drugs through my entire high school career, even though my town has a huge problem with pills, bath salts, and I guess now cocaine. (Rich kids with nothing better to spend their allowance on.) I think we could eliminate at least some youth drug use with an up front and honest discussion instead of our current method of just saying "drugs are bad, don't do them."

I've read that book thousands of times - I love it. My 12 year old just read it for the first time. I think it has a lasting effect on people. I don't know about it helping prevent drug use, but it sure scared me!

But I don't think that's the one she was referring to because she said the girl is still alive, and in Go Ask Alice the girl dies.

Yeah you're probably right :p didn't think about that.. Such a long time ago since I read that book.

A little confused to where you think that I said its okay.....its not abnormal.

This has been going of forever and when someone OD's, people are shocked. Junkies and drug addicts OD.....and so do recreational users.

The "Just Say No" motto isn't working now, and never has.

Actually I do not think drug use is normal. As someone who has worked in schools for 20 years, we know many students never do drugs or drink. It is a choice. And in college you should be smart enough to know that they will ruin your life.
I agree Just Say No doesn't work. I was referring to kids just CHOOSING not to do drugs. I have 2 teens who have friends that never go to parties and don't do drugs or drink. They know kids that do but they CHOOSE not to associate with them. And for that I am happy because my husband and I were the exact opposite.

The book is called
Zoo Station: The Story of Christiane F. (True Stories)

She is alive, but she has relapsed a few times and she is far from a normal life. The addiction stayed with her forever. That is what scares me the most, you do it once, it will stay with you forever

Actually I do not think drug use is normal. As someone who has worked in schools for 20 years, we know many students never do drugs or drink. It is a choice. And in college you should be smart enough to know that they will ruin your life.
I agree Just Say No doesn't work. I was referring to kids just CHOOSING not to do drugs. I have 2 teens who have friends that never go to parties and don't do drugs or drink. They know kids that do but they CHOOSE not to associate with them. And for that I am happy because my husband and I were the exact opposite.
I'm glad to hear, and you must be very proud of your teens.

Abnormal, normal, addict, junky, partier............whatever we'd like to call it, its prevalent and basically accepted as "normal" behavior in college. Too many kids are doing it for us to say they just need more information about drugs.

Many of these kids come from decent and loving homes, they are well educated, and have been taught the perils of drugs and alcohol.......yet, they still choose to use.

I don't think this is exactly true. I assume you are referring to people like @ACEDAD and what would be me if I'd chosen to post my reaction.

I assure you, this proves NOTHING of the sort - it is highly doubtful that anyone, anywhere has not been touched by drug addiction. I know I have (and still am) - and that's why my stance is what it is.

What our reactions should prove to you is that we're older (and I'd like to think wiser) and tired of the excuses. Tired of reading things like, "Oh pressure to get good grades is so high nowadays. Pressure to do well on exams is so crazy now." Why do teenagers think pressure is more now than when we were young? I've been in college during both generations, and I can honestly say... No. Pressure in college now is nothing like it used to be. I was blown away by the amount of coddling the schools do now - and the amount of kids that don't fail when they should. Cheating? Used to get you kicked out of school right off the bat. Now it's just expected. So, to the poster that said pressure is so high now: no, it's not. It's the same or less than it's always been.

Drug addiction
Pressure from parents
Drug overdoses
Partying
Underage Drinking

Misunderstanding "drug addiction is a disease" to mean that it's ok and socially acceptable.

This is the part that's frustrating for us oldies. Yes, drug addiction is a disease. A horrible, awful one that destroys everyone it touches and everyone around them. Yes, all of us have had it touch our lives. The difference is some of us see it differently. By saying, "School is so hard! Sports are so hard! Pressure is so intense! Parents don't know or understand any of the stuff we do! Poor kids! Ooh, this is so sad. She must have been doing it for this reason or that reason" you are basically excusing the problem.

Stop condoning the behavior. I know a lot of you say you aren't, but then your whole post goes on to condone it and make excuses.

Stop excusing it. It is not OK to do drugs. Period. If someone fails to get that message and does them anyway, it's sad. But it's still not OK. Stop coming on here and posting stories about all the kids you know that do drugs. Or stop saying you don't condone drug use - looking the other way is the same as condoning when you're talking about things like HEROIN. Stop justifying it.

Sorry for the rant - but this is where our differing perspectives come from. Most of you see it as, "Oh they're so old. They don't understand what it's like NOW." And we see it as, "Oh... Been there, done ALL of that. That is NOT OK. I need these kids to see that this is not OK! Why are they acting like it's ok?"

(last note - I am completely blown away by the number of people who've said they are surprised by these findings)

ETA @flcheermom and @CharlotteASMom you both said EXACTLY what I was trying to say, perfectly!
This is brilliant and needed to be said so badly. Thank you so much.

Drug addiction
Pressure from parents
Drug overdoses
Partying
Underage Drinking

round of applause. thank you.

i think the coddling, especially from colleges, is destroying the future work force. my undergrad definitely coddled.. as many others do. luckily (or unluckily for those caught?) my grad school is strict. 3 people were kicked out last month for cheating. if they find drugs on you or you come to class high, you're out. they don't care. sucks for the kids (well, we're all adults i guess?) who get caught, but i am glad they are so strict. your future employer isn't going to coddle you. you meet deadlines and work your as$ off, plus some, to get where you want to be.

as @luv2cheer92 said, i also made it to this point in my education, in an extremely competitive and strenuous grad school program, without ever touching a drug to enhance my studying. it's called discipline and hard work. friggen get used to it.

*this post is off topic, sorry*

My dad is drug eradication officer so I was fortunate to be educated on these things from a young age. When I was in eighth grade me dad sat me down and opened up a brief case filled with every drug possible and told me what it was and what it did to you. Would some parents frown upon teaching a thirteen year old about how pain medication can lead to heroin use? Probably. But I managed to steer clear of drugs through my entire high school career, even though my town has a huge problem with pills, bath salts, and I guess now cocaine. (Rich kids with nothing better to spend their allowance on.) I think we could eliminate at least some youth drug use with an up front and honest discussion instead of our current method of just saying "drugs are bad, don't do them."
My dad worked for the DEA at one point and he showed me the book too! I've never touched a drug in my life, or even thought about it, so I think that method is pretty effective.

My dad worked for the DEA at one point and he showed me the book too! I've never touched a drug in my life, or even thought about it, so I think that method is pretty effective.
My dad does presentations in the community and he used to ask my to proof read his power points... Little did I know he would fill them with pictures of bodies that they found inside meth fires... I guess my dad is pretty big on scare tactics haha

I imagine she had friends that knew what was going on in her life, and it is sad that the ultimate outcome was her death. I have always wondered what leads certain people in the direction of drugs/alcohol when it seems like they have so much going for them... Everyone has struggles and pressures in life - certainly some more than others. Not everyone turns to substances. Peer pressure, boredom, curiosity, feeling of living on the edge, escape? - once you have crossed the line with certain drugs, it is a very long road to get back to how you were before, if that is even possible. So why start in the first place knowing that? Money, health, friends/family among other things that are lost. It is a choice to do drugs in the first place. I am not trying to sound harsh - I fully understand mental illness that could lead to drug use and alcoholism as both runs in my family, and I have had a family member die as a result of alcoholism. BUT not every person who turns to drugs and alcohol do so as a result of mental illness - they do so as a result of a choice -knowing that in the long run it could potentially lead to addiction, health problems and money problems. Then it becomes a cycle of addiction that they made a choice to become involved in, and "can't" get out of. My heart breaks for those that have any type of addiction - I have seen what it can do - but people have to be responsible for the choices they make when they start with drugs/alcohol. I hope there is better education and help for those that need it.
There is a French saying that, in English, roughly translates to: "Due to lack of knowledge, we err in our choice of pleasure."

Sorry for the double post, but this reminds me of Lindsay Lohan's situation. She would have a much easier time healing from her addiction and rehab would be more effective for her if she were to choose better friends. I think she is afraid of losing them (they aren't real friends anyway, just people who want her status to rub off on them). She grew up in Hollywood, and lots of people try to take advantage of young starlets. But then I wonder, does she really want to be able to say that she has friends, or does she just want their drugs (they provide her with drugs in the hopes that that will make her more inclined to keep them in her inner circle)? I really don't know. All I can say is that changing her friends could change her life for the better. She needs to hang around people that care more about her wellbeing than the status that comes with calling themselves her "friend".

Back