All-Star Substance Free Programs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I can't see any testing outside of Worlds Eligible teams and their staff. That focuses the age group.

Programs like this should end up being part of the administration fees, such as membership fees or the school administers it as part of their athletic program like they do other sports.

UCA and NCA should then test before the competition

I can't see any testing outside of Worlds Eligible teams and their staff. That focuses the age group.

Programs like this should end up being part of the administration fees, such as membership fees or the school administers it as part of their athletic program like they do other sports.

UCA and NCA should then test before the competition

they should, but would they? any ideas on how to make any of this ever happen?

I suggested earlier that the leading organization on all ends of cheer should be promoting wellness. How to spot athletes with eating disorders is already something that many coaches can do, but how to spot depression, addiction. Making ground rules for athletes on how long they can be out before game day, drug testing, and education. Fine programs that don't comply.
Who do you think is the leading organization on all ends cheer? The only really active body is the USASF.

Does anyone have any info/experience with testing of under 18 athletes? The legalities of doing that seem like they would be tough to get around.

A lot of Olympic athletes are 18 and under, and they definitely get tested, should be a similar legal situation here.

I think starting with Worlds-athletes and all of the coaches (not just worlds-team-coaches) should be a beginning. On competition weekends make alcohol an illegal substance for them, too. Then give them a penalty of 2 or 3 years if they test positive - no cheering, no coaching, no judging, no running a gym, not working for an event producer. Basically deny them the right of being an active member of the cheerleading industry for 2 or 3 years.

A lot of Olympic athletes are 18 and under, and they definitely get tested, should be a similar legal situation here.

I think starting with Worlds-athletes and all of the coaches (not just worlds-team-coaches) should be a beginning. On competition weekends make alcohol an illegal substance for them, too. Then give them a penalty of 2 or 3 years if they test positive - no cheering, no coaching, no judging, no running a gym, not working for an event producer. Basically deny them the right of being an active member of the cheerleading industry for 2 or 3 years.

Wait, count alcohol as an illegal substance for coaches (over 21) on competition weekends? Hmm I'm not sure I'd agree with that... So they can't sit down and have a drink or two with their dinner during worlds to celebrate? Or go out for drinks with their fellow coach friends they get to see only at NCA? As long as the coaches aren't promoting underaged drinking and aren't partying it up in front of their athletes, I don't think I have a huge problem if a coach drinks during a completion weekend.

Athletes are another story.

Wait, count alcohol as an illegal substance for coaches (over 21) on competition weekends? Hmm I'm not sure I'd agree with that... So they can't sit down and have a drink or two with their dinner during worlds to celebrate? Or go out for drinks with their fellow coach friends they get to see only at NCA? As long as the coaches aren't promoting underaged drinking and aren't partying it up in front of their athletes, I don't think I have a huge problem if a coach drinks during a completion weekend.

Athletes are another story.

I wouldn't have a problem with it either - but where do you draw the line? It's the same why there is now a minimum age for the Senior divisions and why there are tumbling restrictions (although those are still debateable) - a few bad apples....

I wouldn't have a problem with it either - but where do you draw the line? It's the same why there is now a minimum age for the Senior divisions and why there are tumbling restrictions (although those are still debateable) - a few bad apples....

I see your point and it's a good point, but I don't think I still agree. Alcohol is not illegal and I don't think the USASF can restrict things like that. I also don't think it's an overwhelming problem at competitions. If a coach is providing alcohol to minors, take action. If they are condoning underage drinking, the USASF should take action. If they test positive on a drug test for illegal drugs or drugs not prescribed to them, then by all means, take action. The 2-3 year reprimands you suggested I think are great. Or add those years not involved with cheer to the end of a legal sentencing. Example: coach goes to jail for 3 years for providing alcohol to underaged athletes. Once they get out of jail, start counting the 2-3 years.

But casually drinking on competition weekends I don't think is a big deal. If the coach shows up obliterated to competitions or practices or is found downing a 12 pack behind the bleachers at a comp, then I think the disciplinary actions should be left up to the gym.

Who do you think is the leading organization on all ends cheer? The only really active body is the USASF.

Even though USASF what about pressuring EP's to conduct drug testing like varsity and jambrands have so many comps as it is if they start then maybe more ep's would follow

Even though USASF what about pressuring EP's to conduct drug testing like varsity and jambrands have so many comps as it is if they start then maybe more ep's would follow
I think it's a much more complicated issue than that. The USASF never takes any stance of trying to tell companies how to run their business. Their interest is generally related to safety and administrative aspects of running the sport (I am simplifying, based on 4 years on the USASF Parent Advisory Committee and a little insight).

In my opinion, the USASF's main pressuring power revolves around Worlds eligibility and sanctioned events. They can allow or not allow EP's offer Worlds Bids and they can disqualify programs or teams from qualifying or competing .
I personally feel it has to be its own independent and unbiased program under the USASF to be effective.

Drug testing all athletes before finals at worlds and disqualifying any team that has team members that don't pass. Do this one year and I guarantee it will help allstar cheer start going in the right direction.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Coaches are some of the biggest drug abusers in sports. Not just cheer, all sports. I doubt you'll get anywhere with the problems with athletes until that issue is addressed.
I agree. Some coaches are buying the drugs/alcohol for the athletes.

Again, I worry that that this incident is being looked at as if it's isolated. The OD was, not the drug and alcohol use in college and Allstar. Worlds is not only a drunk fest, as we've seen, but it's also a drug fest too. Champions League last year was a mess as well, though not spoken about like worlds is. Drug/alcohol testing would be the way to go, but I'm sure many would lose half their team if it ever happened.

Last edited:
I agree. Some coaches are buying the drugs/alcohol for the athletes.

Again, I worry that that this incident is being looked at as if it's isolated. The OD was, not the drug and alcohol use in college and Allstar. Worlds is not only a drunk fest, as we've seen, but it's also a drug fest too. Champions League last year was a mess as well, though not spoken about like worlds is. Drug/alcohol testing would be the way to go, but I'm sure many would lose half their team if it ever happened.
I hope you're lying.

Back