All-Star Summit Announcement?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Hmmm...the Varsity website definitely says 100 paid and 400 at-large for the upcoming season.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I saw something just now on twitter that the total paid bids to Summit is 100. Is that what's its been the last couple of years? That seems like so few. How many paid Worlds bids are there?
Last year was 100 paid and 375 at large. I just found it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I could see how many are available around here. It's seriously been something like 16 in prior years.

Last year was 100 paid and 375 at large. I just found it lol

Ok, my little researcher, can you find out how many paid bids there are to Worlds? (I'd do it myself but my computer at work blocks me from anything sports related)

I'm asking because I've heard people say how hard it is to get a paid bid to Summit and with only 100 I would agree! But it seems anyone and everyone goes to Worlds - although I know some are AL bids.

I thought the whole point of the Summit was it's exclusivity. The fact that it was SO HARD to get bids made sure that only the best were in attendance. Now we're going from 500 bids to 720, that's pretty much a 45% increase in bids. Just doesn't really seem as special anymore.

Ok, my little researcher, can you find out how many paid bids there are to Worlds? (I'd do it myself but my computer at work blocks me from anything sports related)

I'm asking because I've heard people say how hard it is to get a paid bid to Summit and with only 100 I would agree! But it seems anyone and everyone goes to Worlds - although I know some are AL bids.
The good news is the 220 doesn't get passed down. The other ones like at large were passed down so much.

Also it's less likely someone accepts a wildcard .. So couple that with the fact that they still basically had to be the top scorer to get those 2 for the whole comp I highly doubt it will help many teams though I agree!

Not liking that if you get a wildcard you are not eligible for an at large.
Starting to sound like a money maker to get more teams there
Can you refuse a wildcard bid?

I'm sure you can. You can refuse AL's and PD's.

Getting caught up. Accepting a WC is risky unless you don't think you have any chance at one of those 100 paid bids (which are harder to get than worlds bids). Giving up the at large bid opportunity is a big deal if it means you have to compete (and win) prelims.

Limiting to junior and senior divisions only means (in my mind) there will be more competition in the WC brackets since they've cut a whole age bracket out.

I guess if you're confident you'll get paid you can accept a WC early as your safety net but if you miss paid, you also just sentenced yourself to prelims and the requirement to win on Friday (an extra day of travel) just to make it to where you would've been with an at large anyway.

Maybe it's a way to extend the summit "experience" to smaller programs. Most of these competitions they listed that I know are pretty small (1-2 teams per division if they make a division at all). I agree that this is a carrot to try and increase participation in one day varsity events but the ones we've been to are usually attended but smaller more local programs. That could be a positive for small programs that don't tend to go to the big events where there are more traditional bids.

Maybe it's a way to extend the summit "experience" to smaller programs. Most of these competitions they listed that I know are pretty small (1-2 teams per division if they make a division at all). I agree that this is a carrot to try and increase participation in one day varsity events but the ones we've been to are usually attended but smaller more local programs. That could be a positive for small programs that don't tend to go to the big events where there are more traditional bids.

That was the first thing I thought!

I can't see too many people actually following through with the WildCard bids from the PNW. That's ALOT of money to fly to Florida just to compete in the semi's. Although I suppose you could argue that is what most teams do for Worlds... I'm curious why they aren't extending the offer to youth teams.

That was the first thing I thought!

I can't see too many people actually following through with the WildCard bids from the PNW. That's ALOT of money to fly to Florida just to compete in the semi's. Although I suppose you could argue that is what most teams do for Worlds... I'm curious why they aren't extending the offer to youth teams.
The cynic in me says youth teams are even less likely to travel for one shot-one winner advancing prelims since those kids have much more time left in the sport. A senior team with kids aging out though....they are much more likely plot foot the bill (as are mom and dad) for the experience if it's approaching the last time they may have the chance.

Plus it ensures there will be competition if you cut an age bracket out.

Our first comp of the season is a wildcard bid. Kind of crazy to accept one if you get it at that point.

Ours too. I don't think we'd accept one that early. If it was towards the end of our season, it's probably an easier sell but not right out of the gate.

Back