OT Sweet 16 Average Budget

• Thread starter Deleted member 41136
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Yes I have only worked there for a year but I have followed my plan for three years now. I never once blew a crap ton of my money on anything not important to me. I am a lot smarter than people give me credit for and I'm done being told I can't do something or something is not true because I'm a teenager.
Yes, you are. Which is probably not fair on our part but it seems like what is pissing you off more than anything else. I felt your last sentence could have easily been followed with "slams bedroom door, jams headphones in ears and goes back to watching Gossip Girl on Netflix". You asked our opinions about what the average Sweet 16 budget is, presented your ideas to us that your parents don't agree with, and then didn't like when we didn't agree with them either.

That being said, congrats for being a financially sound and hardworking teen, keep it up, and don't spend $8500 on a trip to Disney for you and your friends just because you have the $ and feel you can.

@Pebbles49 Both my girls had very nice but not over the top celebrations at age 13 when they became a bat mitzvah. That being said, even the parties we had for them now seem like too much and we are taking a different approach with my son's when the time comes for his in less than two years. I think it's very easy to get caught up in what everyone else is doing and people do lose sight of the what is being celebrated and the meaning behind it.

For my 16th, my mom took me and my best friend to the state fair(2 hours from where we live) and we stayed there for two nights in a nice hotel, went shopping at this huge mall/outdoor shopping complex, and got my hair done at a nice salon while my friend and her got manicures. Nothing extravagant but seriously some of the best memories I have from birthdays. Every true "sweet 16" party I went to was full of drama and nonsense so I'm glad I didn't go that route.
Got any stories? I'm all ears (or eyes) :enjoyshow:

@Pebbles49 Both my girls had very nice but not over the top celebrations at age 13 when they became a bat mitzvah. That being said, even the parties we had for them now seem like too much and we are taking a different approach with my son's when the time comes for his in less than two years. I think it's very easy to get caught up in what everyone else is doing and people do lose sight of the what is being celebrated and the meaning behind it.
Yes, I totally agree with you and this thread had me reflect on the bigger implications of celebrations and the reasons we celebrate milestones. I have been saving $2000+ per year, in hopes of celebrating this sweet 16, but I now feel like we just trying to do what the Jones' are doing on a higher scale. What long term lesson am I teaching my daughter, I throwing this grand party to best my neighbor's celebration. I decided to find a cotillion program or a Rite of Passage program that will culminate with an important celebration instead and even a group celebration sounds even better.

PS: I remember being part of a Cotillion program and it culminated with the young women being presented to society by their fathers or important male representatives in their families..

Yes, I totally agree with you and this thread had me reflect on the bigger implications of celebrations and the reasons we celebrate milestones. I have been saving $2000+ per year, in hopes of celebrating this sweet 16, but I now feel like we just trying to do what the Jones' are doing on a higher scale. What long term lesson am I teaching my daughter, I throwing this grand party to best my neighbor's celebration. I decided to find a cotillion program or a Rite of Passage program that will culminate with an important celebration instead and even a group celebration sounds even better.

PS: I remember being part of a Cotillion program and it culminated with the young women being presented to society by their fathers or important male representatives in their families..
At the end of the day, how you choose to celebrate your child's milestones (or your own for that matter) are completely individual and what works for you and your family does not necessarily work for another.

Have you seen the TLC show Outrageous Kid Parties? It's ridiculous. The moms are just doning it for themselves. The kids would be happy with cake, ice cream, and a fun day at the park with their friends, but the parents just HAVE to kick it up 10 notches.

Here's a clip (Did this kid cheer at Charlotte All-Stars?):

And I found this show while looking for that episode:

BEST. JOB. EVER.

Have you seen the TLC show Outrageous Kid Parties? It's ridiculous. The moms are just doning it for themselves. The kids would be happy with cake, ice cream, and a fun day at the park with their friends, but the parents just HAVE to kick it up 10 notches.

Here's a clip (Did this kid cheer at Charlotte All-Stars?):

And I found this show while looking for that episode:

BEST. JOB. EVER.

That party seems to me to be more about mom than the kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got any stories? I'm all ears (or eyes) :enjoyshow:
Most of it was like "oh my god Britney knows I like Ken and is totally flirting with him right now MY PARTY IS RUINED" and that kind of high school fun haha.

Although the worst one I went to, the mom was your typical SM living through her daughter and would do anything at all to make her happy/"popular". She allowed anyone to drink alcohol and almost encouraged people to drink. My mom wasn't pleased, to say the least.

Oh man. My husband has quite a few friends in the Jewish faith. I knew about mitzvahs, but prior to ever having attended one I seriously assumed that it was just a nice get-together with some folks after synagogue/church with cake and punch.

It was about the time I walked into his company lawyer's daughter's bat mitzvah which included LIVE ACROBATS that I realized I was wrong. It is a little more than some cake and punch after church. lol!

The moms are just doning it for themselves. The kids would be happy with cake, ice cream, and a fun day at the park with their friends, but the parents just HAVE to kick it up 10 notches.
This is how I feel about people throwing huge blowout parties for their one and two year olds. Like sorry, but the cocktails, photo booths, and instagram hashtags really aren't fooling anyone.

Oh man. My husband has quite a few friends in the Jewish faith. I knew about mitzvahs, but prior to ever having attended one I seriously assumed that it was just a nice get-together with some folks after synagogue/church with cake and punch.

It was about the time I walked into his company lawyer's daughter's bat mitzvah which included LIVE ACROBATS that I realized I was wrong. It is a little more than some cake and punch after church. lol!
I know! These young people are going to classes (weekends) and learning things that will prepare them for their future. I learned in almost all Rite of Passages program, the young person must first be prepared and then must passed tests or initiations and then the celebration, just like a HS graduation. I think the Sweet 16 parties are only emulating these celebrations but skip and lack the real and huge significance of why they are celebrating.

Damn, I want an invite to that one!! Please, I'm excited when there is shrimp at a bar/bat mitzvah, because many of them (including my girls) have the caterer from the temple which means kosher or kosher-style, which in our case sadly meant no shrimp!
No acrobats at ours. My girls each had a Saturday evening service, which is called a Havdalah service, which essentially closes out the Sabbath. The party was right after in the temple catering hall. Lots of kids, a DJ, lots of kids dancing. Buffet for the kids, table service for the adults.
My son's will be a Saturday morning service followed by a lunch. We plan on taking a great family trip to celebrate rather than having the party, and we will let him bring a friend or two skiing/snowboarding one weekend closer to his actual birthday and make it all about him.

Just catching up on this thread; Cp's birthday was this weekend so I'm a bit behind.

We do experiences over parties; CP turned 7 today and this weekend she got a night away in Orlando, Disney on Ice, a trip to the Zoo and a Kindle Fire from mom and dad. Non-Cp turned 5 and she also got a night away in Orlando, Legoland, Sea Life, and 2 Lego sets. I have friends who spent as much as I do just for a party---I hate parties, but love weekend trips.

At 16, both of my girl's are getting their first cars; they won't be new, but they will be good, solid vehicles (their daddy is a mechanic) and a trip of some kind. Instead of a local-ish overnight I'll likely offer up a cruise or a flight; wherever they want to go. I secretly hope CP picks Germany because that is where she was born and 16 seems like the perk age to visit---we can also get dirt price tickets if we plan it correctly through the military.

At this point, I don't plan on inviting any friends for the trip, but for their friends, I plan on letting them pick a few and then taking them out to dinner. It'll likely be a Hibachi, Melting Pot...type of place.

I have no desire to throw a ball or a huge party; even if they wanted one, I still wouldn't do it. A week in Disney sounds fun, but realistically, your parents may not be able to take the week off to actually go. Which is something you have to consider. Also, saving that much---while great, would be better spent elsewhere at your age. If my daughters offered to work for spending money, I wouldn't have an issue; but they won't be paying for their 'gifts'. This is something their father and I know about with plenty of notice and are already saving for along with college, weddings...etc. etc.

Just catching up on this thread; Cp's birthday was this weekend so I'm a bit behind.

We do experiences over parties; CP turned 7 today and this weekend she got a night away in Orlando, Disney on Ice, a trip to the Zoo and a Kindle Fire from mom and dad. Non-Cp turned 5 and she also got a night away in Orlando, Legoland, Sea Life, and 2 Lego sets. I have friends who spent as much as I do just for a party---I hate parties, but love weekend trips.

At 16, both of my girl's are getting their first cars; they won't be new, but they will be good, solid vehicles (their daddy is a mechanic) and a trip of some kind. Instead of a local-ish overnight I'll likely offer up a cruise or a flight; wherever they want to go. I secretly hope CP picks Germany because that is where she was born and 16 seems like the perk age to visit---we can also get dirt price tickets if we plan it correctly through the military.

At this point, I don't plan on inviting any friends for the trip, but for their friends, I plan on letting them pick a few and then taking them out to dinner. It'll likely be a Hibachi, Melting Pot...type of place.

I have no desire to throw a ball or a huge party; even if they wanted one, I still wouldn't do it. A week in Disney sounds fun, but realistically, your parents may not be able to take the week off to actually go. Which is something you have to consider. Also, saving that much---while great, would be better spent elsewhere at your age. If my daughters offered to work for spending money, I wouldn't have an issue; but they won't be paying for their 'gifts'. This is something their father and I know about with plenty of notice and are already saving for along with college, weddings...etc. etc.
Ummmmmm if you adopt me I'll pick Germany for you.

**Don't mind me, just one of the girls here**

This is how I feel about people throwing huge blowout parties for their one and two year olds. Like sorry, but the cocktails, photo booths, and instagram hashtags really aren't fooling anyone.
Like when Kourtney Kardashian threw Mason his 2nd birthday party. Way over the top for a 2-year-old, and he won't even remember it.

Back