All-Star Teal Reveal

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I just want to add that once you are considered a "professional" athlete, you are no longer allowed to compete with NCAA after the olympics. for example, Alicia Sacramone was mentioned in this thread. she used to compete for Brown and did elite gymnastics as well. Once she was signed to UnderArmor, she loses her privilege to compete with college. Aly Raisman and Gabby Douglas will not be able to compete at a college (if they choose to attend one) because they are considered professional athletes. On the flip side, Jordyn Weiber is clear to compete at UCLA because she never accepted any sponsorships(ie she is not signed to Pandora like Aly or Nike like Gabby).
Furthermore, in the dance world, there are a lot of "famous" young dancers (ie Sophia Lucia). If she were to consider herself a professional dancer(gets paid to dance, sponsored by a company) she would be banned from competing at any dance competition again.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I feel like this topic has really lost it's purpose. While it's interesting to know about gymnastics and the Olympics this has nothing really to do with teal real and CEA.

Also like others have stated. Read the whole thread before you comment.

I feel like this topic has really lost it's purpose. While it's interesting to know about gymnastics and the Olympics this has nothing really to do with teal real and CEA.

Also like others have stated. Read the whole thread before you comment.

I did read the thread. I was simply commenting on the whole comparison between downgrading levels for cheer and going from Olympic level to NCAA. my apologies for straying from the topic of CEA.

I did read the thread. I was simply commenting on the whole comparison between downgrading levels for cheer and going from Olympic level to NCAA. my apologies for straying from the topic of CEA.

Your punishment is to cover yourself in teal colored bows and sing Celine Dion songs for 6 hours! ;)

I just want to add that once you are considered a "professional" athlete, you are no longer allowed to compete with NCAA after the olympics. for example, Alicia Sacramone was mentioned in this thread. she used to compete for Brown and did elite gymnastics as well. Once she was signed to UnderArmor, she loses her privilege to compete with college. Aly Raisman and Gabby Douglas will not be able to compete at a college (if they choose to attend one) because they are considered professional athletes. On the flip side, Jordyn Weiber is clear to compete at UCLA because she never accepted any sponsorships(ie she is not signed to Pandora like Aly or Nike like Gabby).
Furthermore, in the dance world, there are a lot of "famous" young dancers (ie Sophia Lucia). If she were to consider herself a professional dancer(gets paid to dance, sponsored by a company) she would be banned from competing at any dance competition again.

I'm confused though. Many of those kids ARE paid to dance. They have agents and everything. Is there a very thin line?

I'm confused though. Many of those kids ARE paid to dance. They have agents and everything. Is there a very thin line?

Yes and the line is extremely thin!!! If you are getting paid to dance professionally you can no longer compete. For example if Sophia did a broadway show she would not be able to compete, but she mostly get paid for modeling or making appearances so she gets by with competing

I could be wrong, but isn't Jordyn Weiber signed with Adidas? I thought that because of this she is a student assistant coach at UCLA, but does not actually compete for them.

That's actually not true. To be consider a professional dancer,you must be over the age of 18 and have 50% or more of your paycheck,come from dancing,. That's how dance kids can work jobs and then attend a dance competition,in the same week. Sophia Luica is not consider a professional dancer and won't be until she hits 18.

On another note,I don't understand how Mini Maddie D can fly on youth elite AND GP. Is there no other level 3 youth age flyer in that entire gym that doesn't have Lv.5 flying skills?

Last edited:
On another note,I don't understand how Mini Maddie D can fly on youth elite AND GP. Is there no other little level 3 youth age flyer that entire gym that doesn't have Lv.5 flying skills?

My guess is that she has inexperienced bases so having an experienced flyer that hold up their weight and know how to stay tight in the air will help the more inexperianced bases get used to basing

A few facts (my child is on both teams being discussed):
-CEA follows the rules. If you don't like the rules, get them changed.
-Kids are placed on YE for a number of reasons. Some are flyers. Some are backspots. Some are tumblers, some are not. It's actually a very carefully constructed group of kids that are not all necessarily level 5 athletes in all areas. Quite the opposite, in fact. Most YE kids bring SOME level 5 skill to the team. Some don't.... but very few of them bring level 5 skills on all areas of the score sheet and can benefit from learning to fly, base, or tumble on a lower level team.

Let's say Susie can throw her full. But she can't base or fly level 5. Is it wrong for her to learn on a lower level team that is appropriate for her skill level?
Let's reverse that and say Susie is on YE because she's really tall and is a great backspot. Is it wrong to be on a lower level team also, because that's where her tumbling will be used?

There are all different kinds of philosophies out there as far as coaching cheerleading. Lots of them are successful. Pick the gym that follows the philosophy that suits you and forget about what everybody else is doing, unless it is against the rules.

I don't understand what all the uproar is about anyways. It's level 3. They can do level 3 skills. Period. So even if Susie has her triple quadruple sickness through to ohmygod all day long, she can still only do level 3 skills on a level 3 team.

I don't understand what all the uproar is about anyways. It's level 3. They can do level 3 skills. Period. So even if Susie has her triple quadruple sickness through to ohmygod all day long, she can still only do level 3 skills on a level 3 team.

YES I COULD NOT AGREE MORE! This is what I saw when people complain about sandbagging. Whoever has that skill set better will win. Who cares if Susie has a full if she's not throwing it in this routine?

YES I COULD NOT AGREE MORE! This is what I saw when people complain about sandbagging. Whoever has that skill set better will win. Who cares if Susie has a full if she's not throwing it in this routine?

Because her tuck is going to be way easier for her and hopefully with better technique than a true level 3 athlete. I could do a level 2 routine so easily, but the actual level 2 athletes have to work harder and might not always hit their stuff because they haven't been doing backhandsprings for years like I have.

Anyways, that explanation still doesn't make sense for all those athletes. Some (kp for example) have l5 tumbling and stunting skills. There's not something to be "worked on" for all of them... They're just there to "stack" the team. Which is fine... But be honest about it. Not every single one of those kids on YE and GP is all around level 5... But don't pretend none of them are.

"all those athletes"..... ok. Clearly you know something about our team that we do not.

And nobody is pretending anything. That wouldn't even be possible with the social media exposure our gym receives.

"all those athletes"..... ok. Clearly you know something about our team that we do not.

And nobody is pretending anything. That wouldn't even be possible with the social media exposure our gym receives.

It doesn't make sense to put something in quotation marks if it's not a quote. She didn't say "all those athletes" - or anything that even resembles that?

Back