All-Star Team Punishment?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 27, 2015
Our team has been spending waaaay too much time on team "punishment" recently for things that just aren't that big of a deal. For example my flyer was running a fewminutes late so the whooole squad spent forever running lines back and forth on the mat I swear we did 75 sets. And also a different day we had to run sprints with no break back and forth for 15 minutes and she added some minutes cus people were jogging! One girl threw up. Like I get the point but we have work to do and were just flat out wasting time. Its not like these are our conditioning times we just get things like this when shes mad or someone does something stupid or both. What do you guys do as "punishment" if you even do it as a team?. Whats your thoughts on this?

"Wasting time" depends on how you look at it. She may be spending less time on skills, but she is clearly trying to make a point of spending time addressing conduct when people don't meet expectations. The team emphasis is for you guys to hold each other responsible for everyone's actions (encouraging each other to all be responsible and on the same page......whether you have to text/call/facebook everyone on the team to get them there on time in the right practice gear, or motivate everyone by cheering each other on so they give their 100 percent when conditioning,warming up, practicing whatever, that's part of being a team & family...for example, our team decided to go on NCA time when too many people were getting there late. "what time does practice start? 10am. So what time does that mean "practice starts"? 9:50"). Does it suck for you, when it's not your fault? You betcha. We've all been there. The thing to take away from this though is that your coach is wanting you guys to work as a UNIT. All together. Not slacking off or giving up or complaining even when times get tough.

We used to have to do "indian miles" (running a mile in one long line. if you are the last in line you have to sprint to the front of the line, and this goes on for 4 laps around the track) while yelling our competition cheer at school. If anyone gave up and jogged or walked, EVERYONE would have to do it over again until we finished. If you had to puke, go puke and then come back so that you can finish as a team. While it made us have a very loud competition cheer, the lesson was on teamwork & sticking together, shouting motivation at everyone through the hard times.

Last edited:
When our team got in trouble we used to do lines (I was in dance), but it was when you put your hands down but one leg up and kinda hop without standing up. Not sure what that is truly called, but it didn't matter if it was 1 or all---we win as a team and we fail as a team. It's a team sport.

I am personally tired of this with CP's youth team. I get the team aspect, but where is the line between enforcing team consequences and compromising the team's performance and ability to learn and advance? I have watched the coaches make the girls condition for not hitting to the point that they are so winded the next full out is a disaster, then the cycle repeats. Nothing is accomplished at practice. This mostly happens right before a performance and ends up causing things that aren't hitting to be watered down for competition.

I don't see it accomplishing anything except making everyone involved more frustrated. The 4 or so kids causing the issues to begin with aren't getting the message because they think it is funny to make the whole team condition. The coaches keep saying " we win and lose as a team", but I just don't get how punishing the whole team is going to change the actions of these kids when they think it's fun to get everyone else in trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am personally tired of this with CP's youth team. I get the team aspect, but where is the line between enforcing team consequences and compromising the team's performance and ability to learn and advance? I have watched the coaches make the girls condition for not hitting to the point that they are so winded the next full out is a disaster, then the cycle repeats. Nothing is accomplished at practice. This mostly happens right before a performance and ends up causing things that aren't hitting to be watered down for competition.
I don't see it accomplishing anything except making everyone involved more frustrated. The 4 or so kids causing the issues to begin with aren't getting the message because they think it is funny to make the whole team condition. The coaches keep saying " we win and lose as a team", but I just don't get how punishing the whole team is going to change the actions of these kids when they think it's fun to get everyone else in trouble.
That poses another question for thought. Are there certain age groups where this "team punishment" concept is better suited? It was often used in high school from what I've experienced, but it makes me wonder from a psychology standpoint at what age do we see the big picture of group consequences vs. individual consequences. Interesting to think about

I do "team punishment" for my Youth 1's and my Senior 3's and my Coed 5's. People may not see why this works or is a good thing, but I can tell you that all of my athletes from my Junior 1 last year and Senior 2 last year, are FANTASTIC athletes on Junior 2 and Senior 3 because of it. Not only are they physically stronger, but they are emotionally stronger, they are better athletes, they are more coachable, and from what I have been told, they are doing better in school and the socially awkward ones are less socially awkward.

Win as a team, lose as a team. If someone's late to practice, you're going to suffer as a team anyways. It's not so bad.
To put it into perspective, when I cheered, my coach and her boyfriend (now fiancé!) heavily did crossfit, and they even now own their own gym...so just imagine what happened to us when someone was late, someone rolled an eye, talked back...you don't want to imagine it. Coaches only want what's best for a team because they want to see you succeed. If conditioning will teach someone to not be late, so be it.

"Wasting time" depends on how you look at it. She may be spending less time on skills, but she is clearly trying to make a point of spending time addressing conduct when people don't meet expectations. The team emphasis is for you guys to hold each other responsible for everyone's actions (encouraging each other to all be responsible and on the same page......whether you have to text/call/facebook everyone on the team to get them there on time in the right practice gear, or motivate everyone by cheering each other on so they give their 100 percent when conditioning,warming up, practicing whatever, that's part of being a team & family...for example, our team decided to go on NCA time when too many people were getting there late. "what time does practice start? 10am. So what time does that mean "practice starts"? 9:50"). Does it suck for you, when it's not your fault? You betcha. We've all been there. The thing to take away from this though is that your coach is wanting you guys to work as a UNIT. All together. Not slacking off or giving up or complaining even when times get tough.

We used to have to do "indian miles" (running a mile in one long line. if you are the last in line you have to sprint to the front of the line, and this goes on for 4 laps around the track) while yelling our competition cheer at school. If anyone gave up and jogged or walked, EVERYONE would have to do it over again until we finished. If you had to puke, go puke and then come back so that you can finish as a team. While it made us have a very loud competition cheer, the lesson was on teamwork & sticking together, shouting motivation at everyone through the hard times.
I guess but we could be doing better things with our time. Instead everyone is tired and nothinghits. I guess I could see how it brings us closer together though

When it happens in the days before comps its soooo frustrating. Very counter productive

Win as a team, lose as a team. If someone's late to practice, you're going to suffer as a team anyways. It's not so bad.
To put it into perspective, when I cheered, my coach and her boyfriend (now fiancé!) heavily did crossfit, and they even now own their own gym...so just imagine what happened to us when someone was late, someone rolled an eye, talked back...you don't want to imagine it. Coaches only want what's best for a team because they want to see you succeed. If conditioning will teach someone to not be late, so be it.
Crossfit? Isnt that really hard workout. Damn then. What did they do to you guys?

Crossfit? Isnt that really hard workout. Damn then. What did they do to you guys?
My daughter's gym has crossfit incorporated into the practices as they offer it at the gym and the kids love it. My daughter is always asking when she can take the crossfit class. As far as punishment goes I think the point of requiring the team to condition as a whole in necessary at times. The unfortunate part of it is at the younger ages the parents need to take more responsibility to get the kids to every practice and be there on time. My CP is 8 so it is a shared responsibility to make it on time. She needs to get ready but I have to commit to getting her there every practice on time. It is so irritating to see people walk in 10 or 20 mins late repeatedly. Punishing the whole team won't work in those cases!

Very interesting, I already read that whole thread. Not a fan of punishment. Always thought positive reinforcement works best and is nicer too. There was a link that I think @cupieqt posted, maybe print it and give it to your coach...
Positive reinforcement is great up to a point there comes a point with children have to be punished for bad behavior both on cheer and in life. There's no way it can all be positive all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back