All-Star The Golden Oldies... The Old Cheer Trends.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Remember when you prepped between almost every jump?

And my entire high school cheer career we wore tattoos on game days. We were given all of them at the beginning of the year with a list of when to wear which one. But they were only stars when we were lucky- we had a special homecoming one, one that was like a football shooting star, and some that had really weird phrases on them (I have worn a tattoo on my face that said Git-r-done. And some girls thought it was adorable. #scarred).
Also, we started using the really big poms like they used in the old days bc the new sponsor thought it was cute (talk about sweaty hands). Is that still a thing in other places?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Those frigging aasic sneakers.
I still have my pair. They've probably dry rotted.

And I had a uniform in Jr high AND high school that was sailor style. Pleated skirts and a big ol flap on the collar with a necktie in the front. Hideous.

And we also wore saddleoxford style Nikes. Also quite hideous.

And extended single based split catches were still a thing.

My daughter had the cheer shoes with the color inserts, and a one piece body suit underneath her one piece cheer uniform as a pee wee that was polyester I think -I do remember the levels - when my daughter started she was pee wee novice - one comp they competed "advanced" because her and another girl did a ro bhs tuck added into the routine. The following year she was youth intermediate then excel one year where they had a couple of layouts. I also had to sew the wiglet in during the first couple of years and I was paranoid that thing was gonna fly off during the routine - it didn't help to have a perfectionist daughter screaming" its too loose, its gonna fall out" every time I sewed it in. Not to mention her crying when I put the glitter make up on at age 7 "-your getting it in my eye" I don't really know how I survived those first few years....

I didn't cheer as a young wonder woman- did softball and volleyball -so I didn't really pay attention to what the cheerleaders looked like or wore lol so my old cheer trends go only as far back to 2002.

Coed stunting switching from spinning left to spinning right.

CP only did one season of rec cheer in 2009 (not that long ago) but she had the color insert shoes, the long-sleeved body liner and spankies, and the uniform with a shell. They also made us curl their hair for competition in the tight curls with the foam rollers. That lasted, oh, maybe 5 minutes in my kid's super thick, straight hair.

In school we had heavy, bold colored glitter that went from our lids all the way to our eyes brows, accented of course, with bright red lips and designs made of glitter. The major disaster happening on our faces wouldn't have been so bad, if it weren't for the fact the glitter would come off in chumps and end up in your eyes. (And contacts) So all you'd see was sparkles for 2 1/2 minutes.

Also, kind of awkward but...I totally still have my old pair of triangle shoes. They're someplace in the back of my closet.

Let's also not forget the horrific facials. ie the hamburger, happy sally and 'woo' that we all did at some point.

Special tattoos for competitions, triple bouncing to preps, cheering in the middle of the routine. I could go on for days...there was nothing golden about any of these oldies.:p Although, saying that, I'm sure in 5 years or so kids will be making fun of our makeup, uniforms and poufs that go to the sky. Haha.

We kinda started the glitter thing in my town, way back when. We dumped piles of craft glitter into hair gel and combed it through our hair. I don't think my pony tail moved when I took out the elastics. Soon after, rules were introduced stating it had to be proper make up glitter.

Back