All-Star The Golden Oldies... The Old Cheer Trends.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i hate it, for me it just destroys the flow of the routine! I do not have a problem with the cheer before the routine though, that is totally fine with me, but right in the middle, ugh

yeah me too i feel the same.. i hate it when the swedish music stops and then starts again..

I saw a rec team near me rocking star stickers as part of eye make up. I had PTSD/flashbacks.

My rec team begggggggggggggged to wear them. A parent bought them and I let them wear red glitter star stickers on their cheeks at US Finals. Ah, the little things that make them so happy. I'm okay with it, even if it does look a little silly :)

This is one of my favorite threads! I remember all of this! I have my fly away skirt somewhere in a closet, along side my asics and kaepas. Also in that closet are random poster size pictures of me from each year of cheering in "Intermediate school" which in NYC is 6-8 grade. The one thing that as a kid I loved but I wish I could burn now, is at those high school competitions where they had all star divisions, you could get your team picture on a t-shirt. Oh man! So not only is there proof in picture form that I looked like carrot top with my hair curled on the top of my head, but I can wear it on a t-shirt? I'm in!

I also particularly love the few years in which my team had a rivalry with a team the next state over and we would fight in chat rooms about how we were going to "pour water on your mat" at competition because for some reason everyone in Staten Island and New Jersey thought the mats would shrivel up and flake away if they got wet!

This entire thread is my conversation with my girls when they are taking a lunch break during choreography in the Summer. They all ooh and ahh over how it was way back when. It isn't a planned convo either, it just always turns into a "you have it so easy! When I was your age our uniforms itched, you wore body suits that were made out of straw, there were no levels, and you had to stop the routine to cheer!"

teamwork-womens-poise-pleated-cheer-skirts.jpg
Our 3rd grade cheerleaders still have this skirt. Le sigh...

We kinda started the glitter thing in my town, way back when. We dumped piles of craft glitter into hair gel and combed it through our hair. I don't think my pony tail moved when I took out the elastics. Soon after, rules were introduced stating it had to be proper make up glitter.
That's genius!

The "UCA shoulder shrug/clean" before tumbling.

The Fierce Board: If you're gonna be talked about, shouldn't you at least be here to defend yourself?
A lot of teams still do that...

and @Audrey :Tackle Twill Knit Cheer Shorts

If we add the "jog" we've pretty much described every UK routine, ever.

The Fierce Board: If you're gonna be talked about, shouldn't you at least be here to defend yourself?
Don't forget Dunbar! haha

i feel so old that people think soffe shorts with words on the tush are oldies. you don't know practice wear unless you had custom varsity practice shorts. (or CDT? or something? it was a varsity "V" shaped logo that said CDT i'm pretty sure) they were awful, thick, tight polyester shorts with a front seam. and thick stripes to match the uniforms sewn on the side of the legs. in the same material as the shells we wore back then. ugh talk about hot and uncomfortable. they were scratchy.

my first years as a mini (whatever we called it back then?) we wore saddle shoes and had huge thick sweaters for the fall. our warm up suits were those legit 80's style windbreaker jackets and pants. so swooshy!! i was always so jealous my older sisters' team got the flyaway skirts. we had snap-crotch bodysuits and i think our bows (made by ribbon tied into a bow by the team mom) were actually glued onto barrettes? i recall a big metal barrette in my hair.

Did anyone else have the converse cheer shoes with the stars that you could change the color of? Loved those.
I only started cheering in 2008 and we still had a lot of the things mentioned. Never had a zipper/button uni in allstar though! :cool: when I started they were the norm though.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

That's all I had! Before the time of keapas and nfinitys! Lol

The long sleeve body liners kinda have a purpose in HS cheer. It's for when we have games in September (70 degrees) and games in November (40 degrees) and you can wear the body liner as an extra layer for warmth.

But the fly away skirts such an oldie

Back