All-Star The Golden Oldies... The Old Cheer Trends.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I used to coach a high school team. Our practice wear the years I was there consisted of a various assortment of halter top polo things, fitted and loose tanks, and nike-style running shorts. The practice wear I was referring to was the early 2000's style of printed soffees (extra points of they had writing on the inside waistband so you could see it when rolled down) and straight up tshirts.

I used to coach a high school team. Our practice wear the years I was there consisted of a various assortment of halter top polo things, fitted and loose tanks, and nike-style running shorts. The practice wear I was referring to was the early 2000's style of printed soffees (extra points of they had writing on the inside waistband so you could see it when rolled down) and straight up tshirts.

We never had printed soffees.

One year we had those plastic soffees

We had those baggy muscle tanks

We had cheer shirts with inspirational quotes

One year Ang put is in baby doll tees at Springmaid which didn't last long.

But never printed soffees.

But I was always low key jealous of the teams that had those polyester varsity shorts.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

This is a clothing trend but I remember at competitions we use have big heavy duffel bag as our cheer bags.

And at competition some teams would have press on tatoos on their cheeks.

Also, underwear cut bloomers rather than shorts bloomers

My cp has them as part of her current all star uni. They are horrible! I just don't get it. WHY??? I think I can safely speak for the team parents and say that we will gladly pay the extra 5 bucks and get boyshots...heck, I think we'd even spring for a whole ten bucks and get glitter ones ;) The 80s "let's get physical' looking bloomers have to go!

Last edited:
My cp has them as part of her current all star uni. They are horrible! I just don't get it. WHY??? I think I can safely speak for the team parents and say that we will gladly pay the extra 5 bucks and get boyshots...heck, I think we'd even spring for a whole ten bucks and get glitter ones ;) The 80s "let's get physical' looking bloomers have to go!
Ughhh I had those back in the day and they were so ugly. Shorts are the way to go. I'd get all the parents on board and ask to switch. Those are so uncomfortable!

T-shirts and soffees as practice clothes. Occasionally a racer-back tank. I would have laughed in my coaches face if they told me my practice wear was a one shoulder/halter top sublimated, blinged out sports bra and matching booty shorts.
Soffe shorts and a t-shirt are still CP's practice wear, although I understand the gym is getting something new this year. The soffes are so, so unflattering. They're too short on the older girls, and they look like diapers on CP. Ick.

In sweden they had the high shcool type of unis up until recently like a year ago and a few teams still have them.. oh the luxury of international cheer.. we are like a few years behind. they even do the tricks like bows and arrows scorpions etc. on the wrong leg. yeah you heard me..

The oldies for me were an entire revolution of uniforms lol. back when I started cheer in the early 90's when I cheered pee-wee rec and the guys had bball shorts and tees with the two different color slouch socks layered on top of each other in our team colors and those flat flimsy $5.00 shoes with no type of support. The girls wore these overalls/romper top looking thing that buttoned to the stock knife skirt that you could get in only 5 or so colors from any cheer catalog with the 3inch 3 color trim on the bottom and gift wrapping ribbon curled with scissors as a hair bow lol.

Around my 13 and under rec days our coach tried to get fancy and decided to by the teams those thin solid color bodyliners that you wear underneath a shell top and under armour for the males and had someone sew the same stock 3 inch trim on our tops to match the skirts. Bad idea because the Senior kids had boobs swinging everywhere in those thin bidyliners. The guys got those thick polyester varsity camp short shorts with the color trim down the side (I hated those!) and we upgraded to the kaepas with the color snaps on the side of the shoes.

18-under rec and 1st yr of allstar (Early 2000's) we finally upgraded to custom uniforms from Varsity. The thick kill me now polyester 3 piece skirt, shell and body liner kits and the males got those short sleeved polyester tops with the elastic waists and sleeves that were so uncomfortable to stunt or tumble in because it would ride up at the waist and bunch under the arms and black matching pants. Rec had the Hightop Reebok Classics, Allstar had the Converse with the star insert and HS has the Nikes with color insert. Allstar had the Same thing going on with the uniforms except I only wore a gym tee bc I was the only male. HS had complete custom uniforms also from Varsity but were much more comfy and lighter weight. Oh and I can't forget the nylon track suit style warm ups!

Everywhere else I've been we had the benefit of having motionflex or the equivalent type of uniforms. They have it easy now with these cutouts, mesh and etc. I used to sweat buckets in my old uniforms back in the day and I'm a male! Lol

Last edited:
In eighth grade, we were still wearing these ancient things.... 9th graders got the "good uniforms" aka the less ancient ones.
180076_164287373618873_522543_n.jpg

There were only like 12 of us, and we didn't have enough skirts, so some of us had thick stripes and some had thin (as you can see I have thin). Our other skirts that went with the same top were red pleated with the underside of the pleat being red, or the other way around. We didn't have enough of one color of those either... oh and we're stunting on tile. good plan.
ftr I just finished 11th grade so this was only 2011.

In eighth grade, we were still wearing these ancient things.... 9th graders got the "good uniforms" aka the less ancient ones.
180076_164287373618873_522543_n.jpg

There were only like 12 of us, and we didn't have enough skirts, so some of us had thick stripes and some had thin (as you can see I have thin). Our other skirts that went with the same top were red pleated with the underside of the pleat being red, or the other way around. We didn't have enough of one color of those either... oh and we're stunting on tile. good plan.
ftr I just finished 11th grade so this was only 2011.

What on earth? A raised basketball court? How on earth is that safe? ( the uniforms don't bother me too much, but I don't understand the court on a stage!)

Back