Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Emily

International Cheer Correspondent
Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Jul 10, 2010
There is always so much focus on the negative in this sport that I thought a "happy thread" with all those wonderful stories that make you smile/ cry happy tears/ simply make you feel better would be a great idea.

Share away all those wonderful things and moments!

We were in Baltimore this weekend and the Maryland Twisters made our girls valentines. It was so sweet. We got the sportsmanship award but it really should have gone to them. I have a picture we took with them but for some reason It won't upload

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my "happy moments" was when a mom told me how much her daughter improved in school and general behavior due to cheerleading. That kid had a serious attention deficit disorder (I hope that's the correct name) and did very poorly in school and had very few friends due to it (even though she got help for it). When she started cheerleading she always came in with the biggest smile on her face. She didn't believe in herself at all though - but the team and the coaches did. Over the course of just a few months her concentration and behavior improved so much that she didn't even need any extra help in school anymore. When her mom told us about her improvements we all had teary eyes. That is one thing I'll never forget.

Last edited:
Two things have touched my heart recently and they aren't probably what you would expect me to be happy about in cheer.

The first was watching my daughter's private getting interrupted by another kid who asked the coach to help her with her homework. At first the Susie in me was all $35 for a half hour!!!! lol...but watching all three of them work together was so sweet, my cold heart melted ;)

The other was last week when CP won her first (small) nationals. Every coach from the gym took time to congratulate her when they saw her walking around in the convention halls (especially since they knew she had a very hard week leading into it), but one coach in particular took her aside and gave her the sweetest pep talk that lasted about three minutes. I am not sure what he said, but she was crying happy tears after!

Last edited:
I went to Mass General yesterday to surprise one of my cheerleaders who is there for a sinus infection turned ugly. Her eye was swollen shut, and she had an abscess behind her eye. It was really scary !

We didn't tell her we were coming and the look on her face is going to be something I will remember for years <3

Coaching for me isn't just about the routines, its about being there for your kids in the tough times!

I've had a kid who's family was involved in drugs, had lots of other problems (phone cut off, drinking, etc.) who was consistently late to class, failing, etc. turn that around cos of my rules in cheer (be on time for practice, class, passing, etc.) Her teachers commented that they saw a huge change in her attitude and work ethic in school. Too bad the Principal didn't see the benefit of the team an cut it after 1 year.

I also have a lot of non-traditional athletes on my team. Seeing them bawling happy tears when they won their Zone Championships is awesome, cos I know some of these kids will never experience working for a goal such as Zone Champs and achieving it other than here. I love that they have that experience and memory, and the belonging on a team that achieve together. I'm gonna make myself cry here. ;)

Our gym has a senior team that had a rough start to the season. All the other teams were placing 1st, while they weren't. Last month the team had an AMAZING performance. After they competed the whole team & parents were in tears. They ended up taking first place that day but watching the joy when they came off that mat is a memory I hope to hold onto for a long time.

Last edited:
My daughter (on an SN team) cried tears of joy when it was announced her team was a "Cheersport National Champion". Everyone at Cheersport this past weekend treated all the special needs athletes so well. My daughter is a hugger and loves to introduce herself to EVERYONE. Every single athlete, gym, staff member, and GWCC staff members treated her so well and were nothing but kind and friendly towards her. Even the judges. We love cheer because it gives her confidence and she is treated so well at competitions and on her team. I really feel like every gym should have a special needs team because it does so much good for everyone involved.

46fefe4de8dea24cba08009b2187e6fe.jpg

Finally got the sportsmanship pic to upload! ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back