All-Star The Ultimate Guide To Preparing For Tryouts.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Also, are you NEW TO ALL STARS?

Take everything that happened during POP WARNER/REC/YOUTH FOOTBALL CHEER and ERASE IT from your mind.

If I had a dollar for every:

"Oh she was point flyer in Pop Warner last year! She's a definite flyer."
"She was center dancer last year in the halftime routine."
"Her Pop Warner coach made her BHS last pass."

I'd be super rich.

PW flyer in a prep doesn't make you the center flyer on Y2. Two different skill levels.

Not to mention you have no idea how many "last passes on Pop Warner" end up making me want to reach for my inhaler during tumbling because they were taught awful technique and are headed for a concussion.
or telling me you are a front spot or side spot. That particular one always makes me laugh.

Oh, yes. Quite a few of my Y2 moms have said that. I use it as a "teachable moment" to show them that front spots aren't really a thing once we get into Level 3.

Last edited:
At World Cup the coaches do a "pre evaluation". The coaches of each specific team (since they know the kids skills the best) will write up sheets with all of the skills the athlete has and write comments and suggestions for what to work on. Then, they'll tell you the level you will most likely be on for the following season. This eliminates a lot of unrealistic expectations going into tryouts. For example, I was a solid level 3 at the end of last season so I knew I would stay on my team. But I had a few friends who had all level 3 skills and a standing tuck or multiples to tucks but made level 3 again because they weren't quite ready for level 4.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

If a kid walks in to tryouts with hair and makeup done, cute outfit whatever, I will take notice. I'll also probably remember her when it comes time to place teams. Lots of times I have to read over the sheets because I can't remember what each kid threw, but if you make an impression...guaranteed I'll remember.

This is a really good point. So many kids, might as well stand out a little!

We were new to our gym this year and my mini 1's coach still talks about how she remembers my little one bouncing in on the first day of evals in her cute little zebra practice outfit and matching bow. Obviously her super awesome skills are what made her really stand out (LOL... again, she's mini 1... that was humor) but the fact that the coach still remembers what she was wearing is a good example of how looking cute (or stylish, or whatever is most age appropriate!) and put together does put the coaches in the mindset that the athlete has their act together and is ready to show what they've got!

My other daughter is Y2 and still age eligible for youth for one more year. She is wavering between wanting to move up to J3 (we don't have a Y3) or spending another year on youth, which is what I would prefer for her. I keep reminding her that a) she's been trying out all year for next year's placement - so the coaches already know exactly where she'll be the best asset to a team, and b) sometimes it's more fun to stay on a lower level team and feel like you have total mastery of whatever your coaches want you to do, than to move up before you're 100% ready and worry that you won't be able to keep up!

At World Cup the coaches do a "pre evaluation". The coaches of each specific team (since they know the kids skills the best) will write up sheets with all of the skills the athlete has and write comments and suggestions for what to work on. Then, they'll tell you the level you will most likely be on for the following season. This eliminates a lot of unrealistic expectations going into tryouts. For example, I was a solid level 3 at the end of last season so I knew I would stay on my team. But I had a few friends who had all level 3 skills and a standing tuck or multiples to tucks but made level 3 again because they weren't quite ready for level 4.

I love that for several reasons! I see that eliminating a lot of anxiety on the kid & usually mom and it lets the kids know what they need to work on to progress when the time is right.

I would love to see evaluations in Jan so the kids that are borderline on moving up know what to focus on for the next few months (say has a tuck, but maybe needs connections into the tuck).

One of my pet peeves is a kid that throws a skill the week of tryouts for the first time and they're moved up a level. Too often I've seen the kid struggle to catch up to the other true level athletes the whole season. I've seen it result in horrible technique or, worse, mental blocks so they can't throw even the minimum skills for the level anymore. I've seen kids also thrive and their skills explode in those situations, but they are rare athletes in the gyms we've belonged to.

The most important thing:

When you get your results, handle them maturely.

Ex: If you thought you'd make 5 and you're still a 4, be okay with it.

Honestly consider whether you had all level appropriate skills clean and consistent.

Most importantly, teams are not set in stone until late summer: if you think I'm wrong in my placement, WORK SO HARD OVER SUMMER that I HAVE to notice.

You never know when the opportunity to be an alternate or crossover will present itself.

The kids who are pouting about their placement miss those opportunities.

The girls who wanted to be on S3 but were initially put on S2 and spend everyday being like "Senior 2 is stupid" and not really working on skills or working hard in practice aren't going to be the ones approached when S3 is looking to add someone, or they need a fill-in.

That next level up fill in is goiing to be the girl who accepted her Senior 2 placement, works hard over summer, doesn't complain and really tries to show that she is L3 material.

Do all 3 coaches have equal say? Or is one a head coach and the other 2 booty't? There's nothing wrong with having people go in an out until a final decision is made.
The team coordinator is the only USASF or AACCA certified coach but does not have head coach title. That belongs to the coach that taught tumbling and started the push for an all star team. The third doesn't really have an official say, but her input is appreciated.

On a further parental note:

Do not send me a dissertation about how our placement decision is wrong. I won't read it.

Do not roll up out of your van like Dukes of Hazzard/Starsky & Hutch to corner me after tryouts (you can laugh now but this happened and my husband thought she was going to commit felonious assault - this was a school cheer parent, though)

As a parent of a 10 yr old CP ( turning 11 in the fall) I completely agree with not rushing to move levels. My CP began AS on a Y2 at 6 yrs old with NO SKILLS! I was new to the cheer world and I had signed her up for summer tumbling classes (she was 5, turned 6 during the cheer season). She advanced that the gym completely skipped Level 1 and put her straight on a Y2. I learned a very quick lesson my first year. Don't be so quick to advance before your ready! She competed in large competitions for the 1st time and it took a toll. The gym wanted to move her up the following season.. But I wanted her to remain on a Y2 another year because even though she was advancing skill wise she was not advancing mentally. Her second season she crossed over Y2/J2, third season only J2. We are finishing up this season on a Sr 3 at ( US Finals, VA Beach). Even though she has level 4 skills.. (She is trying out at a new gym in May), I am secretly hoping she stays on a Level 3 one more season. She is so young and I don't want her to burn out too quickly. So for all the coaches and gym owners out there: I am one of those parents that drop off and pick up after practice! I am the one who stands behind the decisions of the coaches. I will NEVER tell you a 30 min story of what she can do.. I will sit and let her do her thing. No point in me talking about it if she is not going to do it right! I rely on the coaches to do what is best for my CP and the team. I witness all the time parents upset their athlete didn't make a certain team because the finally half mastered a skill.. All I do is sit back and SMH. Coaches appreciate the quiet parents. I do my talking at home with my CP. If you want a certain flying spot or want to be last tumbler..I tell her 1) practice on the stunt stand I spent $400 on 2) put your weights on your ankles and go jump on the 12' round trampoline in the back yard 3) work on your skills when I sign you up for camps and extra classes. I always say... You can show them better then I can tell them. This is your sport!

I know I do
One would think coaches would appreciate the quiet parents more, however when I look around it is always the parents with the biggest mouths who seem to wind up getting exactly what they want for their cp. Sometimes I feel coaches may appreciate the quiet parents but give in to the loud ones in hopes of just shutting them up.

Last edited:
Back