All-Star Themed Practice Controversy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oh my word this thread... I think a lot of people here are just using the wrong words to express themselves.

I don't find the theme offensive, but I do find it tasteless and tacky.
Prejudices and misconceived ideas about VARIOUS races still exist and it's sad.

What about a galaxy print theme? People could buy black practice clothes and use fabric paint to make them galaxy print....

My phone showed me a double post.... oh, technology. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I live in Michigan and we always had a "yooper" spirit day, where us lower peninsula kids dressed as stereotypical upper peninsula people... Looking back, it probably was kind of offensive, but everyone did enjoy it.
@Daniellerae.
I live in Michigan also (metro Detroit area) and I have never heard of a "yooper"????? Could you please explain that one to me? I am also a tad perplexed on what a "stereotypical" upper peninsula person looks like, acts like? Now most local people in the city where our cottage is outside of Mackinaw City do refer to tourist as "fudgies". I think that is non offensive, ect because the term derives from the fact that that particular area is known for making some of the best fudge. And also I rarely see anyone visiting the area without purchasing fudge.
I am EXTREMELY CURIOUS about your theme.

@Daniellerae.
I live in Michigan also (metro Detroit area) and I have never heard of a "yooper"????? Could you please explain that one to me? I am also a tad perplexed on what a "stereotypical" upper peninsula person looks like, acts like? Now most local people in the city where our cottage is outside of Mackinaw City do refer to tourist as "fudgies". I think that is non offensive, ect because the term derives from the fact that that particular area is known for making some of the best fudge. And also I rarely see anyone visiting the area without purchasing fudge.
I am EXTREMELY CURIOUS about your theme.

Yooper- like UP-er, haha. It must be popular in my area... But yeah, usually we wear flannel, rubber boots, those hats with the flap thingies, those types of things. The only way I can think of that would make it offensive is that UP culture is largely Finnish. My English teacher last year was from Iron Mountain and she goes all out every year.
I'm also starting at NMU in the fall so I've met quite a few faculty there that have very thick "yooper" accents... We tend to mimic those as well :)

It was also a school-wide spirit day... Usually before Christmas break

I think @Kris10boo was legitemetly asking and wanted a real answer. She wasn't just making a statement, she's really trying to understand the other side..
@ ryann3794.
I agree with what you said about Kris. I have much respect for those who attempt to educate themselves vs people who just claim ignorance.
Although I may appear as a Caucasian woman I technically come from a ethnic background (French Canadian/Native American. My families history in Quebec is very sad. Those whom reside in Canada know the history.
My family settled in Detroit. I lived in Detroit for the majority of my life also. I'm a grown woman and was raised with a very diverse family. My father always said, "everybody bleeds red"! Meaning underneath we are all the same.

Can someone explain how the first theme, "gangbangers" or "thugs" (or whatever it was) is offensive because it is about race... But Chola isn't? Chola actually IS a direct inference to a race. I'm not at all sure how Chola is an OK theme.

And I guess since we're all being super offensive (and yes, I do mean ALL), I'll go: If the word "thug" and "gang" instantly conjures up a specific race in your head, that says way more about you than the person using the word.

Food for thought - racism is not actually defined as "white people offending black people."
What is Chola?

Yooper- like UP-er, haha. It must be popular in my area... But yeah, usually we wear flannel, rubber boots, those hats with the flap thingies, those types of things. The only way I can think of that would make it offensive is that UP culture is largely Finnish. My English teacher last year was from Iron Mountain and she goes all out every year.
I'm also starting at NMU in the fall so I've met quite a few faculty there that have very thick "yooper" accents... We tend to mimic those as well :)
@Daniellerae
I have never heard that before and I'm 40 + years in age. Actually I have family from my fathers side that settled in the Iron Mountain area. My great grandfather was from Quebec. My grandmother was Finnish. Her father, my great grandfather was from Finland. That area is also extremely French Canadian also. So I'm sorry but I'm going to take it offensive for the simple fact that you pretty much stated that your intentionally trying to offend a specific culture.
I'm extremely proud of my heritage and I encourage my CP's to be the same way! Seriously people there is so much hate already in this world!!!!! For those that intentionally mock or try to shame other cultures I feel very sorry for you.
I'm not trying to be hard nor attack you because I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and I'm just EDUCATING you with this post.

What is Chola?

From urban dictionary:
(because they explain it better than me)

2jvbkz.png

Truthfully I thought the original picture in the story looked more like they were going for the Chola look than any other gangster type look...

It was also a school-wide spirit day... Usually before Christmas break
We played a team from Michigan this past season and our student section dressed all yooper-ish (with the flannel and flappy hats) and had a sign that said "beat dem yoopers". I had no idea what it was until I asked one of my coaches haha. Until then I had never heard of it before.

For the record this statement was as racist and offensive to me as the gang theme to you.

Just so you're aware, white privilege is a thing.

It's an actual scientifically studied construct (along the same lines as straight privilege, male privilege, etc.)

Certain privileges are afforded to people in the majority group.

Ex: The ability to be like "I was just having fun and it's totally harmless" when they (as an non-Native American) plan a Cowboys and Indians themed practice.

http://www.nymbp.org/reference/WhitePrivilege.pdf

White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy McIntosh

There are certain things that are true for White people by nature of being in the majority group and it is important for them to recognize that that disparity and privilege exists. Are you always going to be comfortable with it as a White person? No. Does it make you wish it wasn't that way? Sure. But it's important to recognize the "benefit of the doubt" that White people get, that is not afforded to us.

Ex: In the same way that a man will never have to worry about how having children will affect his career. That's male privilege.

Or, a straight person's right to marry is never questioned by any court in the same way that a gay person's is. That's straight privilege.

Last edited:
I'm originally from CT, where I had 1 black friend til HS (my town and my private HS were probably as vanilla as can be). Just for reference..

Being Italian, when I hear the full word 'gangster' I think of Italian mob. 'Gangsta' or 'gang' or 'gang banger' tends to draw into mind xyz minority (being in NYC, it could be anyone). Actually, one of my friends at work (young black guy) used to be in a gang. He's from some project in the Bronx that is utterly hardcore. He was dealing drugs at 15 or so. Somehow he found Jesus- it's actually really interesting to hear him talk about his life. There is a lot I take for granted- and while my privilege isn't my fault and I shouldn't feel "guilty", it doesn't mean I can't acknowledge it exists.

I actually really like this video, because it's a perfect representation of casting in current media:

Latest posts

Back