Tips For Jumps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 17, 2012
I have bad jumps but I have been working on them for a long time. And I wanted to know if any one had tips for getting better jumps. When I do my jumps my chest is straight up and I do not lean over. When I prep I swing really hard to get a good height. But it does not help too much

For jumps, you must:
1. Be flexible enough to have the potential to get your legs up and rotated back (toes to the back wall for a toe touch)
2. Have the muscles/conditioning to physically pull your legs up
3. Have a good jump off the ground (less about swinging your arms hard and more about pushing off through your toes and shrugging your shoulders up in the T motion for the lift).

You may want to look into jump conditioning and mix that in with stretching to help see improvement : Conditioning: Jumps | For the "Love" of Tumbling

Try doing some jump exercises, like V-Ups -- Start flat on your back on the floor with your arms stretched over your head, then do a big crunch with your abs and pull your legs into the toe touch position and touch the floor in front of you with your hands. Hope this helps

I have bad jumps but I have been working on them for a long time. And I wanted to know if any one had tips for getting better jumps. When I do my jumps my chest is straight up and I do not lean over. When I prep I swing really hard to get a good height. But it does not help too much
Work on your hip flexers! That will help your toe touches:)

sit in a middle split stretch and lift up one leg at a time 20 times each, then lift both legs 30 times. Please only do this after stretching though and allow cramps to pass. Focus more on controlling your legs than getting height. Also stretch!!!!! Flexibility is key! To up the difficulty on the legs lifts use ankle weights, only do this after it becomes easy to lift your legs on their own. :) Good Luck!!

Back