OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I feel like this hasn't been asked for the sake of people being "afraid" to ask but...
A girl I knew from high school just went through recruitment and word got around that she already decided she didn't two certain sororities because she knew girls from high school that she didn't like in them. Even though this was at a VERY large school in Florida with a large greek life, three girls made her think so negatively of their respective sororities and never gave them a chance.

So that made me think, is it ever the same the other way around? Do girls in the sorority ever 'down vote' PNMs that they simply didn't like from high school? For the PNM, how can you keep an open mind during rush about a sorority who has a group of girls you didn't get along with in high school?

I'm mainly asking this for the sake of others and also hoping this will spark some stories about the always fun happy ending! :D
I'm not in a sorority, but all three of my roommates were in the same one and my sister is in one. My first school had a much larger Greek life than the school I graduated from but I still heard stories of girls down voting people they knew for various reasons. The school I graduated from currently has 4 sororities. My sister has only red flagged one girl we went to high school with because she had a party girl rep in high school, and her social media showed it. Often girls don't do it just to be mean but to protect their chapter from girls who may become standards issues.

I feel like this hasn't been asked for the sake of people being "afraid" to ask but...
A girl I knew from high school just went through recruitment and word got around that she already decided she didn't two certain sororities because she knew girls from high school that she didn't like in them. Even though this was at a VERY large school in Florida with a large greek life, three girls made her think so negatively of their respective sororities and never gave them a chance.

So that made me think, is it ever the same the other way around? Do girls in the sorority ever 'down vote' PNMs that they simply didn't like from high school? For the PNM, how can you keep an open mind during rush about a sorority who has a group of girls you didn't get along with in high school?

I'm mainly asking this for the sake of others and also hoping this will spark some stories about the always fun happy ending! :D
Our recruitment chairs were always open to private messages about girls who could be future standards issues or grade risks. (Anyone with lower than a 3.0 in high school or a 2.5 in previous college courses is considered a grade risk during rush for my chapter) There had to be a legitimate reason, however. Not just "oh she flirted with my boyfriend once" or "I heard she was a hoe fo sho". There was no time to deal with petty stuff like that. If every girl nixed everyone they've ever had an issue with, we would not be getting 120+ in our pledge classes, haha. We also never found out if that was the reason why they were cut (if they were not invited back). They could have just dropped the chapter on their own, so one could could ever really say the "black balled" someone out. We have no idea how the girls vote and they have no idea how we vote.

This does remind me of a time though when I was collecting rec letters from our student union mailbox for our recruitment chair. I was opening them and organizing them alphabetically for her and one was particularly interesting because it wasn't a rec letter at all. It was from a sister from another chapter somewhere in the midwest. Someone from her hometown was coming to USC and planning on rushing and this sister was VERY adamant that she would not make a good member of our sorority. She submitted a very nice and cordial typed up letter, detailing some of this girls supposed escapades in high school, along with three pages of printed out social media from this girl. Like inappropriate tweets, pictures, facebook status, everything. I had honestly forgotten the girls name by the first round (that happens when you have almost 2000 girls rushing) and I just submitted the packet to our recruitment chair for her and her adviser to review. No idea if it actually came in to play with a decision on her. She could very well be my sister now for all I know, haha.

My chapter's pledge class is 133 members strong including 11 legacies!

10384369_10153121632559115_6294564967839478239_n.jpg

The entire new pledge class

Last edited:
Our recruitment starts Sunday... so excited!!
(except for the fact that it's from 8 AM - Midnight the day after our first home game.....)

My chapter's pledge class is 133 members strong including 11 legacies!

10384369_10153121632559115_6294564967839478239_n.jpg

The entire new pledge class
This one pledge class is literally twice the size of the chapters at my school... We have 12 but they only average about 50ish girls per chapter

I survived the long and stressful week that was the 2nd biggest recruitment in the country and I'm so happy to say that I'm a mizzou Zeta Tau Alpha!! :cheering:

..but does this mean that i'm the new ZTAprincess now
Yay!!! Happy to have another Zeta lady out there on the boards! Being a Zeta has brought me so many wonderful experiences and I wish you all the best of luck as you embark on the fabulous journey to being royal :) If you ever have any questions about Zeta, DM me! ZLAM and welcome home <3

Yay!!! Happy to have another Zeta lady out there on the boards! Being a Zeta has brought me so many wonderful experiences and I wish you all the best of luck as you embark on the fabulous journey to being royal :) If you ever have any questions about Zeta, DM me! ZLAM and welcome home <3
Thank you!

Everyone say a few prayers for me that I live through 17 hours of meet and greets tomorrow....

I don't miss those times! I loved the excitement of recruitment, but not the endless conversations about nothing or the voting until wee hours of the night.

We just finished second rounds tonight. I'm literally sick from stress and lack of sleep so that's fun..

Back