OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Everyone please go like this picture on instagram so we can win a donation for our philanthropy, women's heart health and the Alpha Phi foundation!!
Instagram
Liked it, good luck!

I noticed Cheerlover88 on there making a comment. I HIGHLY recommend you block him so he doesn't creep out on your sorority member's shoes.

Liked it, good luck!

I noticed Cheerlover88 on there making a comment. I HIGHLY recommend you block him so he doesn't creep out on your sorority member's shoes.
I was hoping someone noticed... I told our social media girl to block him but idk if she has yet. I had already sent a message out to the chapter as well.

I was hoping someone noticed... I told our social media girl to block him but idk if she has yet. I had already sent a message out to the chapter as well.
Keep an eye on it. He has been known to follow individuals so he can keep having access the group pictures they are tagged in.

I hope you guys win the award.

Kappa got Homecoming runner up this year! It's a huge deal for them because we used to always joke about how hard it is to get girls to attend campus events. (They are the only chapter on campus without a point system and who doesn't fine members)

I know we as advisers are very proud of them! They had great partners in Phi Beta Sigma and Lamda Chi Alpha. Here's a fun video of the week

It's been years BUT, I remember we were allowed 2 ( I think) unexcused absences from mixers a semester. Maybe the same for meetings. Our fines were some stupid amount like $5 so it didn't really stop people from not attending if they didn't want to. Of course if you were a 5th yr senior or student teaching, you were allowed to go early alumna status and didn't have to go to anything.

We get fined if we miss big things like initiation and recruitment. These are very important events for our chapter and sometimes just saying mandatory attendance doesn't work. I don't remember the number exactly but I believe it's a $100 fine for each day of recruitment workshops you miss, $200 for each day of recruitment you miss, $300 if you miss pref night, $200 for bid day, and $150 for initiation.

Nothing like socials or sisterhood events though.

Interesting. Kappa doesn't fine, and that was definitely a perk to me. I don't think we stressed that as much as we could have during recruitment. We were literally the only sorority on our campus that didn't fine.

On the flip side of that, it was much harder to get people to events. You could only threaten standards so many times. (they were usually slammed with people who missed silly things like recruitment workshops and sisterhood events). Two unexused chapters a semester and you got standards and a couple weeks of probation. And we would get killed in things like Homecoming because we couldn't enforce a point system for attending things. (ex. 20 points and you can go to semi-formal) It's considered hazing under Kappa's bylaws.

We can only fine for certain events, things that are necessary to the sorority's functioning like Initiation and Recruitment. Missing initiation is $75 and recruitment is like $50 a day. However you are only fined if you don't submit an excuse in time. For example, You have until a month before initiation to submit an excuse. After that, if you don't show or you're late, you get a fine.

We don't get fined for any social events and if you miss an extreme number of chapters without a reason you could be sent to J Board.

Side note: To whoever said that ADPis get their Bigs on Bid Day...how on Earth does that work??

We can only fine for certain events, things that are necessary to the sorority's functioning like Initiation and Recruitment. Missing initiation is $75 and recruitment is like $50 a day. However you are only fined if you don't submit an excuse in time. For example, You have until a month before initiation to submit an excuse. After that, if you don't show or you're late, you get a fine.

We don't get fined for any social events and if you miss an extreme number of chapters without a reason you could be sent to J Board.

Side note: To whoever said that ADPis get their Bigs on Bid Day...how on Earth does that work??
Those kind of things are automatic standards trips for us since we can't fine. We have to submit an excuse before a certain date and it has to get approved. If it's approved, we're good to go but if we don't show it's a standards trip with a pretty harsh punishment. I know missing initiation is an automatic 10 weeks probation and 4 social functions missed, which ends up being about a whole semester. Similar deal for recruitment obligations.

I have a friend who was in another chapter on campus (I won't say which) that had the most INSANE fines to me. Any missed chapter was $30 automatically no matter what. One weekend her grandfather passed away so she ended up going home late Sunday night to be with her family. She knew she was going to miss Monday night chapter so she dropped her $30 check by the house on the way out of town. Crazy.

I was the one who posted about ADPi! Isn't that crazy? I guess the idea is just to develop rush crushes and then take them on Bid Day? But what happens when your rush crush joins another chapter or you don't participate in recruitment? I suppose you just get a random. Several girls in the chapter have told me the big and little relationships have suffered over time with that system. I knew very few girls that were actually close with their bigs and littles by the time graduation rolled around. You definitely need some time to meet girls and figure out who you mesh with and actually want in your family. Not to mention it's pretty common knowledge that everyone is a little fake during recruitment anyway, so you're not exactly getting to know them very well. I developed a theory that they had that system in place to prevent losing many new members. (They were the biggest chapter on campus) When you jump right in on bid day with a big and turn around and get initiated like 5 weeks later, it makes it much harder to leave.

As far as I know we do not get fined for missing things. Most people make their best effort to still come when available (from what I've noticed since I am still in the new member process). Also, I have not missed a single chapter or any kind of event at all so far (we're going on six weeks) because I am pretty much around all the time except for when I'm in class.

Those kind of things are automatic standards trips for us since we can't fine. We have to submit an excuse before a certain date and it has to get approved. If it's approved, we're good to go but if we don't show it's a standards trip with a pretty harsh punishment. I know missing initiation is an automatic 10 weeks probation and 4 social functions missed, which ends up being about a whole semester. Similar deal for recruitment obligations.

I have a friend who was in another chapter on campus (I won't say which) that had the most INSANE fines to me. Any missed chapter was $30 automatically no matter what. One weekend her grandfather passed away so she ended up going home late Sunday night to be with her family. She knew she was going to miss Monday night chapter so she dropped her $30 check by the house on the way out of town. Crazy.
If you don't mind me asking, how exactly are you punished? I feel like fines would be the most logical/effective punishments for missing events. I'm not in Greek life so I don't really get how you'd be punished without being fined, haha. Well I had a friend in a sorority who was caught drinking in her house and I think she was prohibited from attending things like formal and stuff for a year. But other than that what do they do or can do?? I'm just kinda curious haha.

If you don't mind me asking, how exactly are you punished? I feel like fines would be the most logical/effective punishments for missing events. I'm not in Greek life so I don't really get how you'd be punished without being fined, haha. Well I had a friend in a sorority who was caught drinking in her house and I think she was prohibited from attending things like formal and stuff for a year. But other than that what do they do or can do?? I'm just kinda curious haha.
Different things. There's usually probation involved, which basically means you're 100% required at all events during that period. If it's social probation, which was usually the most common punishment, you couldn't attend any social functions during the probation period. If you get in trouble again while on probation you can get anything from more probation time to requesting a resignation letter, depending on the severity. As officers, if we had anything we needed help with we could request it be used as a standards punishment. So I know some people had to assist the recruitment chair in cleaning out the recruitment closet on a random Sunday. If the offense involved drinking underage at a function sometimes you were required to write a paper discussing the dangers of binge drinking or something like that. If they couldn't attend the function, they could be required to come to the house and check people in and on to buses. They tried their best to make it useful punishments instead of just busy work.

Everything was divided in to "levels" of offenses, from 1-4. In your example, drinking in the house was a level 4 offense (along with missing recruitment days or initiation unexcused) so that was an automatic 10(I think?) weeks of probation and minimum 4 functions missed.

Back