All-Star Trends You Hope Will Die After Worlds 2014

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I understand taking it out while competing and practicing, but why does it matter if you are just walking around a comp?
Well, if everyone is following the "cover up" rule...then we would have no idea whether girls are walking around the competition sporting a belly button ring with their uniform, right? So no problem!

But I think it is more the overall perception, honestly. Does belly button ring scream athletic sport to you? Do we see volleyball players or soccer players wearing them at their games? So, yes, it is a danger thing when performing...after that it's a perception thing.

FWIW...my daughter has one and I am totally fine with them. I do agree, however, that they do not belong on the comp or practice floor and do not increase the athletic/sport perception of cheer.

I understand taking it out while competing and practicing, but why does it matter if you are just walking around a comp?
Well, that I can understand. If your team has already performed and you're just waiting around for awards, it's not dangerous. However, I (and many coaches) don't like the look of a piercing worn with a uniform, it's not as clean or athletic as a bare navel.

if getting off the mat is an issue, then their extra time on the mat should result in deductions. certain amount of points per extra 2-3 seconds or something like that. if someone gets off the mat in 10 seconds, well before the required time, and happen to give each other high fives and hugs while walking off, what is the point of deductions? deducting for cheering at a cheer competition is pretty asinine.

Trend I would like to see die after Worlds 2014:

Worlds athletes competing at The Summit. I just can't get excited about a team winning a level 2 Summit division when they have a Worlds athlete on the team...
I'm very okay with it in the Junior 5 and JC5 Division at the summit because they can be doing the same skills, just in a different age bracket. What I'm not okay with is seeing Worlds level athletes competing in Restricted divisions and levels 1-4. Seeing that they have the level five tumbling skills and competing their level five skills is one thing to me, but seeing them compete levels 1-R5 is not okay to me.

I'm very okay with it in the Junior 5 and JC5 Division at the summit because they can be doing the same skills, just in a different age bracket. What I'm not okay with is seeing Worlds level athletes competing in Restricted divisions and levels 1-4. Seeing that they have the level five tumbling skills and competing their level five skills is one thing to me, but seeing them compete levels 1-R5 is not okay to me.
I generally agree with you with one caveat, not all worlds athletes have level 5 skills. At worlds, I saw a lot of layouts and people standing at the back of the mat tossing baskets during running tumbling because they can't tumble level 5. If those are the ones crossing over I'm a lot more okay with it.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Trend I would like to see die after Worlds 2014:

Worlds athletes competing at The Summit. I just can't get excited about a team winning a level 2 Summit division when they have a Worlds athlete on the team...

I do believe they changed the rule to only allow 4 athletes from your worlds teams to also compete at the summit.

I generally agree with you with one caveat, not all worlds athletes have level 5 skills. At worlds, I saw a lot of layouts and people standing at the back of the mat tossing baskets during running tumbling because they can't tumble level 5. If those are the ones crossing over I'm a lot more okay with it.

That's still a little bit of a weak argument in my opinion, tumbling is only one part of the scoresheet. Those people that aren't tumbling on a worlds team have to be on a level 5 team for some reason whether it be stunting, jumping, etc. and that can help a lower level team just as much as tumbling can. A similar argument can be made for a boy or girl with a double that is a really weak stunter and can't jump or dance at all who is competing lower. I know you didn't say you were completely ok with it, just trying to add my viewpoint to the topic.

Exactly! People who have multiple worlds rings shouldn't be competing on a restricted 5 team :rolleyes:

That's still a little bit of a weak argument in my opinion, tumbling is only one part of the scoresheet. Those people that aren't tumbling on a worlds team have to be on a level 5 team for some reason whether it be stunting, jumping, etc. and that can help a lower level team just as much as tumbling can. A similar argument can be made for a boy or girl with a double that is a really weak stunter and can't jump or dance at all who is competing lower. I know you didn't say you were completely ok with it, just trying to add my viewpoint to the topic.
It's a fair point and I don't disagree just tossing it out there for discussion.

Top gun had at least 3 of their large coed boys compete at summit on their restricted 5 team:banghead:. I could only recognize 3 so I don't know if there were more (one was the guy they featured in the CL movie and another is popular ish). That upsets me because those boys are featured in the large coed routine and clearly have amazing level 5 skills.

Last edited:
Top gun had at least 2 of their large coed boys compete at summit on their restricted 5 team:banghead:. I could only recognize 2 so I don't know if there were more (one was the guy they featured in the CL movie and the other is popular ish). That upsets me because those boys are featured in the large coed routine and clearly have amazing level 5 skills.

In their defense... Though I'm not sure if it makes it better or worse... They have been on the team the entire season. So while you may argue that they shouldn't be on the team, at least TG didn't try to stack the team solely for summit?

Back