All-Star Trinity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Wow, is this the latest in cheerleading??? I'm not sure what to think. Are there other gyms besides Trinity and Poison that do this?

PITTSBURGH POISON-VENOM SCHOLARSHIP
Pittsburgh Poison will award up to 20 tuition scholarships for the 2012-2013 season! Scholarship winners will receive free tuition for the entire season, as long as they maintain a high standard as an athlete, student and person. Details will be discussed at the scholarship winners meeting on May 21st at 7pm.

This program is not designed to “steal” athletes from other programs. It is set up to reward our current athletes for reaching the highest level in allstar cheer, as well as attract new members that have the talent, but struggle to afford to participate in this amazing sport. We are looking for athletes that are dedicated and determined to take Pittsburgh Poison to the next level!

I believe Midwest Cheer in OHio somewhere is offering free tuition for boys and using that in recruiting athletes.

Just saying if ACE or Rays wants to come on down to Columbus I am perfectly fine with that. It would make it much easier when I have children, but who am I kidding I would probably make the trip to the Atlanta area for them to put on a Rays or ACE unifrom.

Remember the good old days when ACE was in Alabama??? HAHAHA

I believe Midwest Cheer in OHio somewhere is offering free tuition for boys and using that in recruiting athletes.
very true. a local gym from my area lost ALL of their male athletes to midwest cheer elite "free tuition", but i wouldn't say that was the only factor in them leaving. they had 9 or 10 male athletes, a 2 graduated and the rest to Midwest.

I can't speak to how many gyms are out there giving non-financial based scholarships to athletes. But I wouldn't be surprised if the practice exists in cheer, or even if it's widespread. Heck, AAU basketball gives out tons of "scholarships" - and as long as the players are only covered for the cost of playing (uniforms, travel fees, etc.) then it doesn't affect NCAA eligibility.

And you know what? I don't have that big of a problem with it. Yeah, I know it sucks for the athlete that has to pay their own way while somebody else is getting a free ride. But the more talented you are or the more rare your skills, the more in-demand you'll be. This is the way college works, this is the way the job market works...this is the way life works.

Now understand that this model works only for a select number of programs and a select number of athletes. A gym that lets everyone cheer for free isn't going to be in business very long. But if you can recruit a handful of high-caliber athletes to join your program and have a successful flagship team, that can lead to lots of other paying customers coming in the door.

The question - which is valid - is whether that model works in the long-run, because when families don't have "skin in the game", the temptation to run to the next better offer is pretty high. Especially when there's no penalty for doing so.

I think this thread originated from the FB/Twitter drama between the athletes and some coaches that were making changes in their home gym. That led to "who is this Trinity gym stirring the pot?". From there the conversation evolved into speculation of who would be there? Why would they choose to go there over _____? Who has to pay to attend? And is that ethical, moral, good business, etc? That's your summary of what led to the worlds best free advertising for a relatively new gym. :)

Just saying if ACE or Rays wants to come on down to Columbus I am perfectly fine with that. It would make it much easier when I have children, but who am I kidding I would probably make the trip to the Atlanta area for them to put on a Rays or ACE unifrom.

I wish ACE of Columbus would return :( Get rid of the antique store that is now located in that building, and bring back the Indian Outlaws! :)

In the 10-11 season, there was a gym here that offered free tuition for boys as well (they did previous years as well). I think that might have been the last season they offered that though because I don't remember seeing anything about it after then.

I've also heard of gyms offering cheaper tuition for those who have a full and free tuition for those with a double. Sadly, it doesn't seem like an uncommon practice these days to do things like this to have that "Worlds team."

In the 10-11 season, there was a gym here that offered free tuition for boys as well (they did previous years as well). I think that might have been the last season they offered that though because I don't remember seeing anything about it after then.

I've also heard of gyms offering cheaper tuition for those who have a full and free tuition for those with a double. Sadly, it doesn't seem like an uncommon practice these days to do things like this to have that "Worlds team."

Georgia was pretty heavily publicizing right after Worlds that 20 guys would cheer for free this year.

So I find it pretty ironic that people are blasting Trinity for anything at this point.

very true. a local gym from my area lost ALL of their male athletes to midwest cheer elite "free tuition", but i wouldn't say that was the only factor in them leaving. they had 9 or 10 male athletes, a 2 graduated and the rest to Midwest.
saw this too, think they had 2 level 5's last year and I think they have 4 this year...

Georgia was pretty heavily publicizing right after Worlds that 20 guys would cheer for free this year.

So I find it pretty ironic that people are blasting Trinity for anything at this point.

Actually GA started publicizing the 20 boys cheer free back in March. Just nobody really paid attention to it until after Worlds. Locally to the ATL area C4 was also publicizing "Double Fulls don't pay" but again no one really paid attention to it that much at all. Yet Trinity who I have not seen publicize anything like this was raked over the coals for it but whatever.

On kind of a side note - this goes back to a previous convo on here but since ACEDAD brought it back up - the 20 scholorships GA was publicizing were supposed to be thru a joint scholorship program between All American Scholar and ESPN, not just ESPN as was previously mentioned on here. At least that's what the ad I saw from them stated. Honestly don't know what All American Scholar is but that's the info they gave.

I have 3 kids one which is Special Needs and I am a single Mom so committing to the time to drive back and forth to Rays is just out of the question for us. I have to make sure my other kids can do some extra curricular activities as well as have some kind of time as a family. My daughter also does High School cheer at a very highly competitive High School, and my son will now be playing football for High School so all of these things factor in. My kids are EXTREMELY "HAPPY" being a part of ACE and love everything about it. They are "HOME" and as of right now my 2 oldest are cheering there, we will see how it works out for my youngest one :) Moral of the story is there are a TON of gyms in Georgia to choose from and I hope that everyone is happy with their choice and it works out great for their families :)

Glad you guys found a home at ACE. If we lived closer we'd totally be there. Plus I'm looking forward to see what you guys put out there this year. From what I've heard it should be awesome!!!

Back