All-Star Try Outs Should Be Cut Throat

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 4, 2010
So my all star team try-outs are coming up soon and us as coaches had a meeting on how its going to run etc. etc. but one thing i can't get through this newly (year 4 for them) all star team is that at tryouts its either you have the skill or you don't. I say this bc in the past there are kids who would only need a very light spot and made a level 4 team but never in the routine did their standing tuck. HELLO am I the only one that thinks that if you don't have the tumbling by yourself alone at tryouts you should not make that certain level team. The pressure is on during a competition but if at practice you always needed a light spot what are you goin to do on the mat not do it. Am i Insane for this type of thinking???

in my experience if you do not have the skill (and especially if you are not willing to throw the skill by yourself), then you should not be placed at that level. HOWEVER, the athlete should schedule a follow up try out in the summer to be reassigned to a new level.

Well for the most part, yes the kids on whatever teams should have the skills needed to be placed on that level however you may have a few exceptions. i.e. Susie doesn't quite have the full but she has a beautiful tick tock and other flying skills. :D

in my experience if you do not have the skill (and especially if you are not willing to throw the skill by yourself), then you should not be placed at that level. HOWEVER, the athlete should schedule a follow up try out in the summer to be reassigned to a new level.

Exactly what i keep telling but they are all about filling in the spots to make a team i said i would rather go out with 15girls who are strong lvl 4 ...rather go out with 20 weak lvl 4 and have 12 doing standing tucks and 8 doing the the fake-me-out ball jump. I also recommended that if there is any adjustments needed for teams should b done the first week in July for girls to be promoted or sad to say demoted. Just bc you made the team you have to fight for your spot.

There's more to making a team than just the athlete's tumbling ability. Jumps, motions, dance technique, basing/flying capabilities also play a part into it as well. You can be an awful tumbler but the most beast base in your gym and completely needed on a L4 team.

I completely agree that the most beast base should b on lvl for but she just has to do a standing tuck thats all...she can b like UCA college where thy have one big guy who only had to d a standing tuck to make floor and lift girls and b bottom of every pyramid.

Well for the most part, yes the kids on whatever teams should have the skills needed to be placed on that level however you may have a few exceptions. i.e. Susie doesn't quite have the full but she has a beautiful tick tock and other flying skills. :D

And im perfectly fine w/ that ...she can be like Maddie from CEA who's only tumbling is triple toe tuck.

Exactly what i keep telling but they are all about filling in the spots to make a team i said i would rather go out with 15girls who are strong lvl 4 ...rather go out with 20 weak lvl 4 and have 12 doing standing tucks and 8 doing the the fake-me-out ball jump. I also recommended that if there is any adjustments needed for teams should b done the first week in July for girls to be promoted or sad to say demoted. Just bc you made the team you have to fight for your spot.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! It kills me to see the kids throw the skill needed at tryouts/placements to make the team they want to be on and then NEVER throw or even attempt to throw the skill again for the rest of the season.

I think our gym places kids on teams based on what they throw at tryouts. I think if the coaches have faith they will get the skill then they allow them on the higher level team. If the kids does not get it then they are sent down to a lower level.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! It kills me to see the kids throw the skill needed at tryouts/placements to make the team they want to be on and then NEVER throw or even attempt to throw the skill again for the rest of the season.

I seriously dislike it also bc I then bring up "and i quote myself " "Its time to demote ya butt...and bring some1 up"..but they dont believe in that which is extremely annoying....

OMG, shimmy x1000! I would rather watch a beast small level 2 and level 4 than a mediocre large level 3. Unfortunately, the mediocre is what I see more often than not. Is it a coaching issue, like not enough coaches for 2 teams? Cuz this bugs me a lot.

OMG, shimmy x1000! I would rather watch a beast small level 2 and level 4 than a mediocre large level 3. Unfortunately, the mediocre is what I see more often than not. Is it a coaching issue, like not enough coaches for 2 teams? Cuz this bugs me a lot.

wow thts crazy not enough coaches for 2 teams.....thats a big "uuhhhh no not happening" 3 finger snaps on that

I think our gym places kids on teams based on what they throw at tryouts. I think if the coaches have faith they will get the skill then they allow them on the higher level team. If the kids does not get it then they are sent down to a lower level.

That happens quite a bit at our gym - it's most based on coaches judging an athlete's potential.

However, the kids that do not have requisite tumbling for that level are required to take extra tumbling throughout the summer to get the skills they lack. If they don't do that, the coaches reserve the right to move them to a different team, but I'm not sure how often that actually happens.

I wonder if the gym has the space available for 2 teams- in larger gyms there is only so much space and times. We have 10 teams and our gym is ALWAYS packed!I would love to see a true level 4 team then a team with 10 hiding in the back for lack of skills. We were blessed on our J4 team this year that the moajority (almost all) had the skills.

wow thts crazy not enough coaches for 2 teams.....thats a big "uuhhhh no not happening" 3 finger snaps on that

No, really, I'm wondering. Our gym has x number of coaches. Most of them already coach more than one team. That's the only reason that I can think of why they wouldn't want to make 2 small beast teams rather than 1 large. That, and @fameousmom 's theory of lack of space.

Back