Tryout Help???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 30, 2013
My high school is having their cheer tryouts this coming May, I know it's a long way away but I really want to make it.
I have a few questions;
  • If I can't throw my backhandspring, should I throw an aerial?
  • How can I get hyperextended toe touches?
  • How to have good facials?
  • And is there a way to improve my back handspring at home?
Any help would be lovely thank youuu.

My high school is having their cheer tryouts this coming May, I know it's a long way away but I really want to make it.
I have a few questions;
  • If I can't throw my backhandspring, should I throw an aerial? - Throw what you have to show your coach. If that's an aerial, do it to show you can do something. Keep working your handsprings till tryouts and after, you never know, you may get them.
  • How can I get hyperextended toe touches? - Stretch, stretch and stretch more. Every night. Also do condition everyday. We did a "top 10" workout every day at my school, and we all had awesome jumps. Things like squats, lunges, grasshopper jumps, etc. We also did arm things too, to help with strength and stunting.
  • How to have good facials? - Do them every time you practice. You will perform what you practice, so always practice with facials
  • And is there a way to improve my back handspring at home? - Not sure about this, unless you have proper mats and tumbling equipment. If you're conditioning every day, this will help with your strength for your handsprings, but I wouldn't recommend you throwing them on your own as you might get injured. Do handstands against the wall and do 30 shoulder shrugs (shoulder pop) to help with strengthening that, you could probably also do handstand snap down on the grass or a mat if you have one, but again, I don't suggest doing gymnastics without the proper equipment and a coach spotting.

Good luck at tryouts!!

I have a few questions;
  • If I can't throw my backhandspring, should I throw an aerial?
You should throw the most advanced tumbling you have but if the requirement is a back handspring you should tell the judges you can't throw one yet but can do etc.. or if you need a spot for a backhand spring say "I can't throw it on my own yet but I can with a one hand spot" etc..
  • How can I get hyperextended toe touches?
Jump a lot, try jumping with ankle weights and do lots of core workouts.
  • How to have good facials?
Quit worrying about how silly/crazy/funny/stupid you *think* you look, sell the fact that you're having fun and are confidant through your face.
  • And is there a way to improve my back handspring at home?
That depends what the status of your backhand spring is now. If its close have someone spot you through it. You can always work the lead up skills like hand stand snap downs, your vertical jump, etc. Tumbling takes a lot of core strength so spend time working them as often as possible. Look to see if a gym near you does open gym night some will let you come in and practice for a small fee without being a member of the gym.
Good luck!

Check gyms in your area - several gyms where I live have tryout classes that start up this time of year. They work on tumbling, jumps, spirit, entrances, etc. Or the suggestion about open gyms is a good one. You can get good tips from the coaches there.

The main thing is to be confident! Sell it and make it look like you are having fun! As for facials, I find that they come naturally when I am really performing. So perform and smile and you will do great! Good Luck!

Hi! Are u close to your backhandspring? I recommend u go to a local gym at least once a week and let the person that's spotting u know that u need ur backhandspring REALLY soon :)

As for the hyper extended toe touches :) , practice ur middle split ALOT! Any time u sit on the ground or on ur couch, or any where else, sit in your split! Haha, I know it sounds crazy but it will really help!

Once u have ur full middle split, if you didn't already, :) try elevating ur feet a little higher! Like while ur in ur split, put a pillow or somthing like that under ur feet so it's a hyper extended split! See how extended u can get your feet to go and keep practicing your toe touches!! Look up videos online about toe touches and u will have it in no time! :)

Ok, now for ur facials, good facials u can do are the duck face, ;) a smile, like this king of face: :eek: , lol! U could also do a winky face like this: ;) ! U are probably going to feel pretty stupid doing them but it will work! :)

I wouldn't recommend doing a backhandspring at home unless u have 1. A person who can spot u 2. Proper cheer mats for it or 3. A trampoline :) But, u can always condition to be stronger for your backhandspring and I do highly recommend that! :)'

And for some final tips for tryouts! :) if u are nervouse say u are not and eventually u won't be! Like trust me it really works!! I did that when my team went to nationals:)! Also NEVER GIVE UP'! Always try to give 110 % ! And no that U CAN! I wish u the best if luck at tryouts! :) and remember, always stay positive! :)

Back