Tumbling- Are You Ever Too Old?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 10, 2012
My worst skill has to be my tumbling in cheerleading, coming from a dance background I only began tumbling when I was 18 years old. I worked really hard on my tumbling, but unfortunately had a nasty injury to my elbow while warming up. All my hard work came crumbling down, and lost all of my strength in that arm, plus obviously my confidence.

I slowly worked back into it and was regaining confidence and did the same injury again.

I'm now going on 23 years old and pretty much back to where I was before I injured myself those years ago, but still have 0 confidence and feel like I will never progress past that point. My issue is I have hyper extensive elbows (really badly), so any skills involving weight on my arms, my elbows can sometimes play up (particularly the left).

I'm doing 2 privates a week at the moment and slowly getting there, but my question is if my elbows are dodgy, will this keep preventing me? Any tips on improving my tumbling? Strength work?

Anything would be amazing.

It seems to me if you are past the point of BHS and they are not keeping you from doing that, then all other skills are aerial skills and wouldn't involve bearing weight on your arms. If the BHS is causing pain or continues to give you trouble, you're at a point where doing skills from a RO would be ok.

It's the BHS which is the problem. I am very left handed, so tend to bear more weight on my left arm when doing a BHS (never intend on doing it). My arm hyper extended to the point where I tore alot of ligaments around my elbow. I was told by the doctors and physio I'd need a rest it for a while, which I did, but it happened again one day.

Most of the time they are fine. I also tend to bend my legs coming through a BHS and have a very slow snap down, which means my hands are on the ground for an extensive period of time.

I've been working with a private coach, and I am slowly getting there, but I'm still low on confidence as I know its one of those skills for me that'll continuously come and go.

I can do round off tucks, front tumbling is fine for me, do punch fronts, front handsprings etc. I'm doing my round off bhs pretty much by myself again, with him standing there. But I still go more on the leg arm.

I feel like at a certain age it becomes acceptable to skip a bhs and go straight to standing tucks... At least in your case it may be a good idea.

Excuse me while I hide from the progression police.

I feel like at a certain age it becomes acceptable to skip a bhs and go straight to standing tucks... At least in your case it may be a good idea.

Excuse me while I hide from the progression police.
I couldn't agree more. I've looked at coming back after not cheering for about a year and a half and I could honestly say going back and throwing certain skills are probably just not gonna happen.

Thanks so much :)
We are working on standing tucks at the moment, asides from the main issue being jump height, I am only getting spotted a tiny bit at the moment.

Our aim was to get round off, back bhs back tuck. But I just can't see it happening. It may, but there so inconsistent.

Any tips on fixing in consistent tumbling?!

I think tumbling is one of those things that takes a certain amount of stupidity and confidence and as we get older we see the value of our lives and responsibilities. BUT I also feel like there is never a thing as to old, as long as you are physically fit and willing to try the impossible!! With your elbow problem I do feel like you are at a disadvantage but if you can find it in your heart and mind to push past the fear of re injury, I would suggest that you work on your standing tuck and to really focus on your round off. So that you can one day do things like, ro whip skills and bounding skills, that should be the direction you try and direct your focus. Good Luck! All things are possible through God and a whole lot of hard work!

Back