All-Star Uniforms: Illegal Or Not?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So what are you supposed to do instead?

Instead of using a plastic retainer? Take out your piercing before you compete, and put it back in when you're done. That's the only thing that's legal. You take your chances on it closing, but that's the way it is. The no jewelry rule is there for a reason, as is the stipulation including plastic. You want to take your chances with a retainer, then that's your decision. You probably won't get caught. But, if you do, and your cost your team a title, I doubt they're going to care that you don't think the rule should apply.

Yeah.. i've been in all star for 7 going on 8 years and I don't even have my ears pierced. I just think that as a cheerleader I shouldn't get anything pierced due to safety issues or competition rules..That is all.

Piercings are just a stylistic choice, I dont really think theyre harmful while cheering.

Tell that to the giant scar on my stomach. I didn't take out my bellybutton ring one day in college. It was really cool when my partner's finger got caught in it and ripped it right out.

UGH I got my belly button ring ripped out as well :(...but mine was in practice getting spotted on two to fulls...ripped it right through the skin...I can't say that I don't wish I would have never got it, ha. Piercings definitely are harmful...whether surgical steel, plastic or whatever I just don't think its necessary. Same with even plain old earrings... I had on studs during practice and my flyers head hit the side of mine in a stretch double and the back punctured my head behind my ear and I got a huge hematoma... maybe I just have bad luck with this sort of thing... haha but still even though my injuries happened in practice, the same thing could occur while competing if your wearing jewelry. I guess anything can happen to me seeing as my shoe came off during jumps in my last competition and I had to compete without it. -_-

Plus belly button rings get infected a lot sorry. Dont take it personally if your base/flyer doesnt want your nasty belly button puss all over them.

does anyone have a pic of Fierce Legenkatz NCA day 2.. looks like they wore some type of bandanas on their necks.. that would be a safety type of deduction no?

I think that things are getting out of hand these days, with some of these rediculous rules!! A portion of a uniform-connected or not- to the main uniform-is a pointless debate!! Especially the reason this debate started!! It's a small piece of fabric around ones neck, likely connected with velcro-if not, then connected with a button closure--either way, niether of those type of closures would hurt the person wearing it, or the person that might randomly get their fingers stuck in between the fabric and a persons neck!! I think people are stretching for excuses these days!!!

does anyone have a pic of Fierce Legenkatz NCA day 2.. looks like they wore some type of bandanas on their necks.. that would be a safety type of deduction no?
dbfpv.jpg

this confuses me too, because there was another thread about someone's mini team getting a warning and someone's team getting deductions at JAMZ comps. but this team got a paid bid at JAMZ. Maybe it was deemed okay? I think all this proves that it's not clear whats okay and what isn't.

So what are you supposed to do instead?
I'm on the 'take it out and suck it up' committee. When I was 10, I had my ears pierced for my birthday in August. That fall I started up with rec soccer. Rec soccer rules: no jewelry. My mother sat on the sidelines with my earrings in hand at each and every Sunday game and put them in if I wasn't in a quarter or if it was a time-out. Eventually, they let me just tape it over with athletic tape. Personally, I don't care what you're getting pierced, it's silly to get a new one during competition season. Gauging your ears I think is equally ridiculous (in both looks and timing), but to each their own.

I will add to the ripped-out piercing story. Not my own, but I met a girl whose belly button piercing got ripped out diving on the floor in volleyball. Scar was awful.

I think it is ridiculous not to take out your jewlery before performing. If you can't take it out don't get it. Im not exactly sure what a retainer is?? But it sounds like something that you put in to keep it from closing. There are things like this that are NFHS approved and if you feel like you cannot just take out the jewlery then pop one of these in. These are made of a material that is soft and most likely wont hurt other people. It obviously can still be ripped out and hurt you. But at least with these they are soft enough that they wont cut someone else.

Also I am not saying you wont get a deduction wearing the NFHS ones but at least they are safer. The safest option is not to wear jewelry at all.

Back