All-Star Unsportsmanlike Competitiors

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 22, 2012
At a competition last weekend our "rival gym" 's athletes sat at the front of the floor booing our kids and yelling "YOU SUCK!". This has been a reoccurring problem over the years. We do not quite know how to handle the situation since the coaches of this team are provoking their kids to act this way. How do we handle this? HELP!

I was trying to think of diplomatic ways to handle this, but what popped into my mind was 'videotape it with a caption explaining the situation, post it and let it go viral!' If it were only kids, I would say try appealing to the coaches, but if the coaches are involved, then the coaches and the organization should be shamed into submission!

At a competition last weekend our "rival gym" 's athletes sat at the front of the floor booing our kids and yelling "YOU SUCK!". This has been a reoccurring problem over the years. We do not quite know how to handle the situation since the coaches of this team are provoking their kids to act this way. How do we handle this? HELP!

I would have your gym owner try and address the issue with their gym owner. Otherwise, ignore them. I know it's difficult, but if they don't get a reaction from you, eventually they'll get bored and move on.

Definitely talk to their gym owner (in a way that's not attacking) then if nothing is done warn the event producer.

I was trying to think of diplomatic ways to handle this, but what popped into my mind was 'videotape it with a caption explaining the situation, post it and let it go viral!' If it were only kids, I would say try appealing to the coaches, but if the coaches are involved, then the coaches and the organization should be shamed into submission!
I'm all for this.

The way to handle it is to ignore it. Unless it turns physical, I'd say ignore it and fight them through your routine on the floor. I've experienced something similar when I was on Jr Coed Excel at JAM'S Athletics. At Cheersport Beach Blast, a few of us were in the bathroom with a few of our competitors (we were the only two teams in the division). We were all talking about being nervous/excited and trying to have conversation with them. They were very rude to us and basically didn't care how their performance was going to be. They told us they were going to beat us anyway because we were a black team and we sucked...basically saying all black teams sucked. They had never even seen us compete. Crazy thing is, they had black people on their team. Of course we went back to our coaches who gave us a speech about how to handle the situation. Our coaches never said anything to the other team's coaches (as far as we knew). Anyway, we won the competition and the other team was actually a hott mess. At the end of the day you can't change the way other gyms act towards you. They will eventually get themselves in trouble on their own.

@.Diamond.....good for U to not reply back at them.....that is what our coach tells the kids that it is never right to show bad behavior....and you have to give our team a good name. But I bet it never felt as good to win as on that day!

It happens here between 2 specific gyms and it will never end. The owners of the gyms don't even get along. It is what is and this is how life is and we have to teach are kids to deal with it or leave the sport. Just don't retaliate....teach your child it isn't right and maybe she will say to her teammate, just ignore them and eventually it will go away. Praying for you!

Our kids also are very good about smiling and killing with kindess. This has been happening for about four years now and we have tried to address the problem many times.

Back