All-Star Varsity's Definition Of Unassisted Single Based Stunt

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 10, 2011
*Single based, unassisted Stunt – any stunt whereas the top person is being held by a single base during a portion of the stunt sequence. The stunt must be held for an amount of time that proves the stunt group’s ability to maintain the skill without the assistance of additional bases and spotters.

I have spent some time going over the new system and for the most part agree with the changes. My only real problem is they have changed the definition of unassisted. By using this definition, a single based thigh stand will qualify teams to be judged in the high range. Team A could do single based thigh stands and a three elite stunt group stunt and Team B does toss heel stretch and the same three elite stunt group stunt and these teams will both be in the high range on the score sheet.

I appreciate that Varsity is trying to make coed teams do coed stunts, but I think the bar was set way to low, and there is no incentive to do elite coed stunts.

INTERMEDIATE BUILDING SKILLS (L3 and L4)
1/2 Twisting transitions to an Extended position
Full twisting transitions to Prep level or below
Inverted transitions to Prep level or below
Release moves to Prep level or below
Walking/Turning Stunts
Power Presses
*Single based, unassisted stunts at Prep level or below
Other unique mounts and transitions of similar difficulty level

ADVANCED BUILDING SKILLS (L 4 and L5)
Single Twisting transitions to an Extended position
Inverted transitions to Prep level
Release moves from Ground level to an Extended position
Downward Inversions
*Single based, unassisted, extended two leg stunts
Other unique mounts and transitions of similar difficulty leve

ELITE BUILDING SKILLS (L5)
1 and 1/2 - 2 Twisting transitions to an Extended position
Inverted transitions to an Extended position
Release moves from Prep level or above to an Extended position
*Single based, unassisted, extended one leg stunts
Other unique mounts and transitions of similar difficulty level

STUNTS
  • low Majority of the athletes participate in 1 advanced building skill.
  • med Most of the athletes participate in 2 advanced building skills.
  • high Maximum number of athletes participate in 3 or more advanced building skills.
Refer to Scoring Guidelines for a list of Advanced Building Skills
See additional requirements for Senior Coed divisions.
STUNTS
  • low Majority of the athletes participate in 1 elite building skills and a level appropriate dismount.
  • med Most of the athletes participate in 2 elite building skills and a level appropriate dismount.
  • high Maximum number of athletes participate in 3 or more elite building skills and a level appropriate dismount.
Refer to Scoring Guidelines for a list of Advanced Building Skills
See additional requirements for Senior Coed divisions

From what i just posted, no level 5 senior coed team that does single leg thigh stands will score above a 6.9 in stunts

I am talking about coed senior teams. For a coed team to get into the 8-9 range they are required to do aany single based unassisted stunt. After that they are judged just like the all girl teams.

Team A could do single based thigh stands and a three elite stunt group stunt and Team B does toss heel stretch and the same three elite stunt group stunt and these teams will both be in the high range on the score sheet.

The single based stunt gets you to the range. The three elite stunts get you in the high range.

no I dont see that. I see it as if you are doing 3 elite stunts, one of them must be a coed one. IF you do 3 elite stunts and then a basic coed stunt, you are not satisfying the criteria of that range.

I guess we need to wait until they have judges training. That is just my interpretation.

no I dont see that. I see it as if you are doing 3 elite stunts, one of them must be a coed one. IF you do 3 elite stunts and then a basic coed stunt, you are not satisfying the criteria of that range.

I guess we need to wait until they have judges training. That is just my interpretation.

I would love it if that was case , unfortunately it is not. According to ASCheerMan any unassisted single based stunt will satisfy the requirement.

They will be judged that way, but the same as the other group stunts in those categories. Coed teams can still do only group/all-girl stunts and be scored just as high as teams doing elite single based stunts. If you do three elite group stunts or three elite coed stunts, the range will be the same.

They will be judged that way, but the same as the other group stunts in those categories. Coed teams can still do only group/all-girl stunts and be scored just as high as teams doing elite single based stunts. If you do three elite group stunts or three elite coed stunts, the range will be the same.
I really don't see varsity allowing that a coed team doing a single based thigh stand would get into the top range. I'm sure they will provide further clarification during judges training. And if its not addressed, I'll bring it up.

I obvisiously don't think we will see thigh stands. I was just coming up with the worst case scenario. I think we will see a lot of assisted to hands, assisted extention, the side base letting go for two counts and calling that an unassisted coed stunt. That is no more an unassisted coed stunt than someone jumping and spinning around without flipping and calling it a standing full.

This is gonna come off horribly rude but whatever.
You and anyone else with half a brain know that regardless of what the rules say, a single based thigh stand will score differently than a toss ball up stretch.

ETA: Rich clearly posted the rules where it states that unassisted 1 legged stunts score differently than unassisted 2 legged stunts, or stunts below prep level, etc.
What you quoted is re-enforcing the definition of "unassisted" in those rules.

In the scoring system as written if two teams do the same three elite group stunt sequence. (1 and half up stretch, tic tic left stretch, tic tic back to right stech, double down for example) and one team does ball up stretch unassisted and the other does single based thigh stand, they will both score in the 8.7-9.0 range for scoring difficulty. I have verified this with Justin and this why I have a problem with how it is written. The judges will not have a choice to separate these two teams by more than .3 in stunt difficulty. The unassisted one leg and two leg stunts listed in the difficulty ranges only replaces a group stunt if you choose to.

They'll
In the scoring system as written if two teams do the same three elite group stunt sequence. (1 and half up stretch, tic tic left stretch, tic tic back to right stech, double down for example) and one team does ball up stretch unassisted and the other does single based thigh stand, they will both score in the 8.7-9.0 range for scoring difficulty. I have verified this with Justin and this why I have a problem with how it is written. The judges will not have a choice to separate these two teams by more than .3 in stunt difficulty. The unassisted one leg and two leg stunts listed in the difficulty ranges only replaces a group stunt if you choose to.
Yes, since both teams executed 3 or more elite transitions, they will both score in the 8.7-9.0 range. This is no different than in year's past. Had Top Gun Coed doen single based thigh stands in addition to their incredible stunt sequences last year, they'd still have an amazing stunt score compared to Cheer Athletics (who did a lot of single based stunting and also scored high in stunts).

The goal of the unassisted stunt requirement isn't to create a bigger score difference based on Coed Stunting. It's in place to begin the ball rolling on a new expectation of coed teams to single based stunt. We must take baby steps and leave no team behind.

The objective will still be reached--everyone's going to be single based stunting again. And I bet you the best teams are still going to win.

Back