All-Star What Happened To The Basics?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There were a couple girls on my high school team, and I've know a few others, that had a RO tuck without a bhs, it can be easier to get for some people who have a powerful round off.
Or a slow back handspring. Think about how much rebound you get out of a roundoff compared to a roundoff back handspring when you're learning. Some people it's just naturally easier to learn to tuck straight from the roundoff to get the technique down and work on getting more power in their RO BHS then applying that technique there.

soooo many girls on my high school team had round off tucks with no back handspring. some wouldn't throw their standing bhs but were fine doing tucks (with proper technique, might i add) lol. i feel like stuff like this is a little funky when you don't start tumbling untill you're 14+; which was always how cheer was at my school.

While agree you should have the basics down pat, I do not agree that you need every single one before moving on. For instance, I have never and will never be able to do a back walkover. It is just not happening. My back will not allow it. But that hasn't kept me from being able to do a back handspring all the way up to a double full. My front walkover is all kinds of ugly too but that's a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You cannot do everything. I get it. (My punch front was always atrocious for some reason.)

But it's hard to see kids coming in and regularly wanting to "short cut" to the next skill. Ex: Someone calls like "I need my standing tuck for school cheer."

You ask what tumbling they have and they say "I've never tumbled before but I need this."

Especially with younger kids, I feel like it's a race to be able to put "full club" in your social media bio sometimes.

You cannot do everything. I get it. (My punch front was always atrocious for some reason.)

But it's hard to see kids coming in and regularly wanting to "short cut" to the next skill. Ex: Someone calls like "I need my standing tuck for school cheer."

You ask what tumbling they have and they say "I've never tumbled before but I need this."

Especially with younger kids, I feel like it's a race to be able to put "full club" in your social media bio sometimes.
I feel like a backhand spring is a skill that is needed before moving on. You can't even really running tumble with out it and it's in every routine all the way up to lvl 6. A back walkover however is not which is why I used that as my example. Starting with back handspring I definitely think you need to go in order of progressions. I just hate it when someone says you HAVE to have a back walkover before moving on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We allow parents in the viewing area only, but I have had a mom or two TAP ON THE GLASS to get my attention to ask me a question in the middle of a private. I am attempting to keep your kid from landing on her neck in this skill she just just started throwing 4 privates ago, ma'am. It can wait.
Tapping on the window is crazy and very distracting, whatever needs to be said can wait until the end of the private...Most of the time, the coach will discuss your child's growth and even the plans for any future privates anyway, parents should resolved any and all questions away from the floor and when the parent taps on the windows it draws negative attention... If you are going to choose a coach to train your child, allow and trust them to do their job...jmo!

I've actually been wondering about that for years. Over here we teach our main base to be right underneath the flyer (for one legged stunts), while the secondary base needs to get as close to the main as possible (chest touching).
For two legged stunts it's chests together an every base underneath the respective foot of the flyer.

I've rarely ever seen that in most allstar teams. Bases seem to share the weight and base more like a triangle with the flyer standing on the tip (sorry difficult to describe). I've always asked myself wether it's supposed to be like that and just a different technique.
Any insights?
I collect pictures of this.
25jx4.jpg

2itpqhd.jpg

ru8o5c.jpg

21ne3wm.jpg

Sorry, I guess the back walkover was a bad example. I just come from a gymnastics background where girls were taught the walkover, handspring, tuck, etc progression and not allowed to move on until they had mastered each. I understand it may require too much back flexibility for an older girl. I still can't really get the progression without BHS though - it really is in every level routine from 2-6. But maybe that's just me!

I've actually been wondering about that for years. Over here we teach our main base to be right underneath the flyer (for one legged stunts), while the secondary base needs to get as close to the main as possible (chest touching).
For two legged stunts it's chests together an every base underneath the respective foot of the flyer.

I've rarely ever seen that in most allstar teams. Bases seem to share the weight and base more like a triangle with the flyer standing on the tip (sorry difficult to describe). I've always asked myself wether it's supposed to be like that and just a different technique.
Any insights?

That seems strange to me. I was a secondary/side base 99% of the time (my preferred position) and for one legged stunts I was taught to get underneath and face the crowd. So you're perpendicular to your other base. It kind of looks like you're coed stunting but you have a main base and back helping you. I always felt like I had a lot more control over the stunt this way and it felt more solid.

That seems strange to me. I was a secondary/side base 99% of the time (my preferred position) and for one legged stunts I was taught to get underneath and face the crowd. So you're perpendicular to your other base. It kind of looks like you're coed stunting but you have a main base and back helping you. I always felt like I had a lot more control over the stunt this way and it felt more solid.
I was taught the same and I agree with you. I felt more solid.

YESSSS
10470253_971661826182846_6460131717105841162_n.jpg

Firm believer that every side base needs to look like this 100% of the time!!!!!!!!! As a backspot I literally could not stand stunting with a base that wouldn't get underneath right away. It makes SUCH a difference.

Back