All-Star Why Do Parents Allow Kids Not To Show Up!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

that's so frustrating. that happened with the team i coached last year a couple times, and had to rearrange in warmups...very frustrating! this happened with a girl who was on my team as well...she eventually got kicked off...you must be committed, otherwise you're letting the whole team down!

crazycheermom said:
So, just curious, why do you call them your "team electricians"?

Bc without electricians to help us keep the power going we wouldn't be Cheer Energy!

So cheesy I know. But I love our parents and appreciate so much what they do to make our program successful. They needed a team name too : )

yeah I used to give the team moms a time I would meet them to take the girls to warm up , but the team moms would pad that time about a half hour for the girls so no one was late.

TwistersPride said:
Yup we did.... Mini 1 athlete didn't show up. All calls to her went straight to voicemail. Mini 2 check in time was 5 min before mini 1 was going to warm up. I was waiting at the top of the escalator waiting for a mini 2 girl (who is also a youth crossover). I threw her into mini 1 warm up to cover the missing girl. She rocked all three performances that day, thank goodness! They judges did write on our scoresheet that we should "teach the dance to the girl squating in the back". Lol... Yeah, thanks, good idea! :) the missing minis mom text later in the day....

I love judges with no common sense but that aside, way to handle it and props to your fill in! I won't ask you to elaborate on the reason for the absence since you told me already.

We do this too. And our team "electricians" have a phone list so they can call if someone isn't there. And I make it very clear that anyone who is late for meet up time without just cause will be removed from the competition. That gives us an hour to re-work. If they are late and haven't called their team mom, they're removed from the team/program. No excuses

**and don't you dare walk in without hair and make up complete. Only the athletes that arrive extra early to watch other teams may do their hair and make up later.

I am super strict about our meet up times. I've had to kick one girl off in 15 years of coaching. She showed up while we were in warm ups. Too late!

A few years ago, our older teams started doing their hair half up with STRAIGHT hair, so of course the younger teams wanted to do the same. I agreed to give them what they wanted..partially! They had to have their hair ALL up, but could leave it straight...

Of course, what happened at the next competition? 2 kids showed up to the competition with no make-up and hair completely down! Not okay...

Next competition, I went back to requiring the mini's to have high pony with curls....THAT child's mom got upset and asked why we went back to the old way? My reply was "Because that is the only way I can be sure every child actually shows up ready to compete. The coaches don't actually have time to do the entire teams preparations during warm ups."

She wasn't happy, but you know what? neither were the rest of the kids who had to wait around while ewe got her kid ready, or the parents who did get up early and get their kids ready.

Coach Alisha said:
A few years ago, our older teams started doing their hair half up with STRAIGHT hair, so of course the younger teams wanted to do the same. I agreed to give them what they wanted..partially! They had to have their hair ALL up, but could leave it straight...

Of course, what happened at the next competition? 2 kids showed up to the competition with no make-up and hair completely down! Not okay...

Next competition, I went back to requiring the mini's to have high pony with curls....THAT child's mom got upset and asked why we went back to the old way? My reply was "Because that is the only way I can be sure every child actually shows up ready to compete. The coaches don't actually have time to do the entire teams preparations during warm ups."

She wasn't happy, but you know what? neither were the rest of the kids who had to wait around while ewe got her kid ready, or the parents who did get up early and get their kids ready.

I coach AND have to get my daughter ready to compete as a mini 1 (not to mention get my two boys off to the babysitter bc my husband works Saturday's) so every mom in my program knows that any emergency goes to the team mom. I don't have time to deal with their crap and mine. I have to have my game face on earlier than everyone so if I can do it, don't even try to pull any excuses with me.

At every competition (every season) we are told to be at the competition building, in our uniform, hair & make up done, ready to go, usually around an hour before the first team has to go back into warm up. this is to ensure that EVERYONE has enough time to get there and watch every team from our gym compete. We are reminded of this a practice or 2 before each comp.

My team at our first competition had a girl show up 20 minutes late for warmup. (We had just changed our routine, so our coaches had us gather together 20 minutes before our actual warm up time, we were told about this the practice before comp. so everyone knew about it), then the same girl at our previous competition came literally 5 minutes before we went on stage. we had a girl from a higher team come and learn our routine in warmup, instead of ACTUALLY warming up. ugh. it was nerve wracking. the same girl also used to never come to practice. she's been better about it lately though.
i can't believe your coaches let her come back.... if someone at Vizion pulled that they'd be gone lol

This is why I love my mom. She knows that any choices like that she makes will affect the team. For example, freshman year all the parents voted if we wanted to go to nationals (cuz we were JV) and she knew that because she had 3 girls on the team that if she voted no we would most likely not go, thankfully she voted yes. And my brother is graduating from college this weekend and she wanted me and my sisters to go but she knows that we make up a fourth of the team (cuz we are small varsity) and by having us go to the graduation our team would have to pull out of the comp. I guess I just want to take this moment and thank my mom for being such an amazing cheer mom<3

Parents that are not willing to abide by rules that they probably already know are the WORST!! If the meet time is at a certain time... there should be no issues what-so-ever and all issues should be cleared the day before. I would remove them. No matter how talented a kid is and no matter how much you may or may not need them, that should never be tolerated. Obviously there are circumstances beyond control, but if there is a car issue they should also have numbers of parents/coaches and also an alrernative so the team member arrives.

IT MAKES ME SO MAD!!

Not quite on the same topic but the youth team in my gym ran into a similar situation recently..there's a newer girl on the team who joined late and has had a couple conflicts with practices (which coaches knew about) so she isn't exactly up to speed. They had an extended weekend practice and apparently the girl is grounded so she can't come to practice? They changed most of the routine that day since they had only a couple practices before they compete and it isn't exactly worth it for them to wait around on her every practice. Hopefully she doesn't think she's competing this weekend..

cheeeeer93 said:
Not quite on the same topic but the youth team in my gym ran into a similar situation recently..there's a newer girl on the team who joined late and has had a couple conflicts with practices (which coaches knew about) so she isn't exactly up to speed. They had an extended weekend practice and apparently the girl is grounded so she can't come to practice? They changed most of the routine that day since they had only a couple practices before they compete and it isn't exactly worth it for them to wait around on her every practice. Hopefully she doesn't think she's competing this weekend..

Hopefully the coaches told her she's not. I have it in our handbook that being punished from cheer isn't allowed!

cupieqt said:
Hopefully the coaches told her she's not. I have it in our handbook that being punished from cheer isn't allowed!

From what I know, the coaches found out she wasn't coming through a friend she carpools with and neither the girl or her parents contacted the gym. I could be wrong but that's my understanding.

Back