All-Star Why No Usasf Banned Coaches?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 17, 2009
With all of the previous discussion about coaches being arrested or accused of inapproriate conduct with athletes, why does the USASF not have a listing of banned coaches like USA Gymnastics does? (http://usagym.org/pages/aboutus/pages/permanently_ineligible_members.html) Or does the USASF and it just isn't widely known? Is this perhaps something that is coming in the future? The safety of our children and athletes isn't something any of us take lightly and knowing that other governing bodies have these things in place and easily accessible makes me wonder about our sport.

With all of the previous discussion about coaches being arrested or accused of inapproriate conduct with athletes, why does the USASF not have a listing of banned coaches like USA Gymnastics does? (http://usagym.org/pages/aboutus/pages/permanently_ineligible_members.html) Or does the USASF and it just isn't widely known? Is this perhaps something that is coming in the future? The safety of our children and athletes isn't something any of us take lightly and knowing that other governing bodies have these things in place and easily accessible makes me wonder about our sport.

I think this is probably on USASF's radar of things that need to be done, but they can only get thing done 1 or 2 tasks at a time. You also run into the legalities of it whether just accusations will get you onto the list (I personally don't think *one* accusation should, but maybe a pattern...) yada yada yada....

I googled the ones for CT, and they were ones that had actually gone through the court system. I don't know when they were added to the list, but I assume it was after there was a ruling/officially charged (not just 'looking into accusations of').

I googled the ones for CT, and they were ones that had actually gone through the court system. I don't know when they were added to the list, but I assume it was after there was a ruling/officially charged (not just 'looking into accusations of').
before reading your post i did the same exact thing.. scary stuff :confused:

I think this is probably on USASF's radar of things that need to be done, but they can only get thing done 1 or 2 tasks at a time. You also run into the legalities of it whether just accusations will get you onto the list (I personally don't think *one* accusation should, but maybe a pattern...) yada yada yada....

I agree that it shouldn't be heresay that would land a coach/instructor on the list but also think we sadly have some that have been proved guilty that would deserve a spot on there. While I know that USASF can only undertake so many new tasks at one time, I would hope to see this one come up in the not too distant future.

As a CT native, I also did the same thing.

To my knowledge, there has not been a need for a "list" because there have not yet been any banned coaches. I know this has been discussed (the legalities of making a list) but I do not know what the results of those discussions are.

To my knowledge, there has not been a need for a "list" because there have not yet been any banned coaches. I know this has been discussed (the legalities of making a list) but I do not know what the results of those discussions are.

From what I remember from the news, the list isn't large, like you said (thank God for that!) but its still happening abd hopefully will be addressed at some point.

USAG has been doing this list for decades. I remember being a gymnast in the late 80s/early 90s and getting the USAG (Then it was USGF) magazine quarterly as part of my athlete registration. The banned coaches list is published in there each issue, and I would always check it to see who was listed (to be sure they weren't working at my gym). I was neurotic as a kid!

That's exactly where I remembered it from and what made me go looking for it, as a comparrison. As a child, I remember wondering what in the world a coach had done to be banned. Now as a parent and judge, I cringe to think of someone who should be "banned" working with my child or at an event with thousands of young people running loose.
USAG has been doing this list for decades. I remember being a gymnast in the late 80s/early 90s and getting the USAG (Then it was USGF) magazine quarterly as part of my athlete registration. The banned coaches list is published in there each issue, and I would always check it to see who was listed (to be sure they weren't working at my gym). I was neurotic as a kid!

2nsyq2a.jpg

Don't be scared to google your coaches anyway. The power is always in the parents hands.

Exactly. I think there are even websites that do public record searches for a fee, although I can't vouch for the quality of those sites.

From the USAG website :

"Membership in USA Gymnastics is a privilege granted by USA Gymnastics. That privilege can be withdrawn by USA Gymnastics at any time where a member's conduct is determined to be inconsistent with the best interest of the sport of gymnastics and of the athletes we are servicing."

I like this and it seems like they do not wait til someone is found guilty of a crime, it seems like when ever the board deems it necessary. I hope that the USASF at some point is brave enough to do the same thing. Being a private organization why wouldn't they be able to make a list like this?

Back