All-Star World Champs Get Automatic Bid?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't have a problem with receiving an at large bid. It would also mean that one of those teams don't take an at-large bid at a competition that's probably going to go to waste anyway. Like Shooting Stars in Providence last year - I know they turned down a bid so another team got it instead, but would everyone decline in hopes of getting a paid bid? Probably not.

Lots of times highly competitive programs turn down the at large bids NOT because they are snobby, but because they know if they take that at large bid it does not get passed down to another team who actually plans to use it. A high worlds caliber team could go to every competition saying they want an at large, receive it, before the next competition turn it down, and go for it again. While competitively it has a small advantage I think it would be looked upon as tacky. I like the 3 rounds now for Small Small and Small Senior. The at large bids get to go day one and have to make day 1 (all the paid bids day 1). A much fairer process.

It would still come down to who is paying for the bid. No event producer would pay for it as they want the draw of that gym to attend THEIR comp. A team that has won gold should have no issue geting a bid the following year. Do you know of any team that won Worlds one year and did not get a bid the next?

No I dont, but people are saying ...what if you dont have the same team, what if and what if.......so the offer is ther take it or leave it

I disagree. Odds are, if they are world champions, they're going to get a bid anyway next season. If you go into next season knowing you've already got a bid, what is going to be their motivation? I feel like it's more rewarding when you have to earn it.
Definitely don't agree with you. I've seen in a few cases where a team will win worlds, but then barely be a contender the following year at worlds because the team either aged kids out or kids quit... If you're a world champion, then show you deserve to go. Your reward for being a world champion is bragging rights and the ring on your finger. Life has no handouts... Earn every bit of what you deserve...

Definitely don't agree with you. I've seen in a few cases where a team will win worlds, but then barely be a contender the following year at worlds because the team either aged kids out or kids quit... If you're a world champion, then show you deserve to go. Your reward for being a world champion is bragging rights and the ring on your finger. Life has no handouts... Earn every bit of what you deserve...
The only places this has happened is in the international divisions. Every senior team that has won, has placed in the top 5 the year after they won. The only exception being programs that closed or no longer had a level 5 team (i.e. miami elite)

Okay, well I guess I was just saying that it's more likely than not that they'll earn some kind of bid the next season.

just a thought..

Give them the bid if they stay in the same division

if they change have them get their own?? yes or no?

New team, new routine, new bid. It's that simple.
And whoever said that a senior team has never won on an at-large: Didn't CA Jags do it in 06?

It makes sense for every team to earn their bid each year. Some people might view this topic as what if the world champion from last year doesn't get a full paid bid during the season and doesn't go to worlds...The fact of the matter is maybe they weren't good enough that year and everyone was so much better. It is not fair to guarantee someone a spot when they have not fought during the season to earn that position.
It's kind of like me being injuried for every competition and my coaches get someone to fill in for me. Our team happens to get a paid bid and for worlds I tell my replacement you can't compete and that I was competing. It is totally unfair for me to expect that I will get my spot back when somebody else has worked hard during the season to help get the team to worlds.

Or, lets ask a practical question, who the heck would pay for it anyway?

Is there any EP or USASF/Varsity cost associated with an At Large bid?

Again The EP's want the World Champions to attend their Events. It is a draw for them to get other teams and lower level teams to attend making the important money for them. Thus enabling them to send teams to worlds. There is no reason they would ever want the World Champion to get an automatic bid of any kind.

Or, lets ask a practical question, who the heck would pay for it anyway?

Yeah if we give World Champs automatic paid bids who is going to fork over the money to get Bangkok over here? Wasn't the IO6 team from overseas as well? Full Paid bids are only so much money that probably wouldn't pay for those teams to get over here (possibly would) so do those teams get extra?

Yeah if we give World Champs automatic paid bids who is going to fork over the money to get Bangkok over here? Wasn't the IO6 team from overseas as well? Full Paid bids are only so much money that probably wouldn't pay for those teams to get over here (possibly would) so do those teams get extra?

I don't know. The whole idea seems silly to me. What is the motivation for the USASF and the EP's to give out bids to Worlds for the champions anyway? To make them happy or honor them is a silly reason. They were already honored. That is why they have a globe, banner, and rings.

Back