All-Star Worlds Age Change???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@Lablover My guess is the post isn't referring to you. It sounds like you have a healthy perspective. Some Suzy's Moms that don't even visit fierceboard are acting like if this is true, it is the end of the World, their kids are going to be completely devastated, and never recover. It is the end of cheer for them! And you know Cheer is life! (sarcasm)

I find that kids are generally speaking NOT exposed to as much as people THINK they are as the "young kid" on the senior teams.

Truthfully, the older kids treat the 6th/7th/8th graders more like little kids than you think.

If anything, I've heard more of the "my kid really only hangs out with the other middle schoolers" more than anything else.
CP has only been on junior teams since she started cheering at 7 1/2, in her experience she's been mostly treated as a little sister/pet. They've always been nice to her, but have never included her in the more "grown up" talk. Maybe we've just been lucky.

I totally agree with you on this.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Truthfully, I feel like CP would have felt not good enough if she didn't make a worlds team at 12. There is a lot of pressure and I think she could have benefited with another year of maturing. This is her 5th year on a LVL 5 team and I would have been fine with her staying j5 another year, her not so much.

I completely understand the frustration of this is what was supposed to be next for my athlete. Changes happen, and change is hard, it’s how we get through the changes that makes us who we are. If my daughter was on this cusp for next year, I imagine the kind of conversation I would have with her would be about why they are changing age requirements and that it had nothing to do with her specific skill set, but now is the time to continue to grow as an athlete and progress on some of the skills she isn’t completely confident in. And when it becomes “her time to shine” she’ll be shining with her friends, the ones she’s been cheering with for years, and now that level 5 senior team seems much more appealing going in already with a team of girls I have full confidence in.

It’s all about the presentation given to the kids. We want them to continue to be engage in their sport. Worlds is cheerleadings Super Bowl. Everyone wants in, but only 1 comes out on top, and honestly I’d want my daughter to come out on top feeling more confident than ever because she spent an extra 2 years refining her skills and celebrating that glorious moment with her teammates that are really her best friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completely understand the frustration of this is what was supposed to be next for my athlete. Changes happen, and change is hard, it’s how we get through the changes that makes us who we are. If my daughter was on this cusp for next year, I imagine the kind of conversation I would have with her would be about why they are changing age requirements and that it had nothing to do with her specific skill set, but now is the time to continue to grow as an athlete and progress on some of the skills she isn’t completely confident in. And when it becomes “her time to shine” she’ll be shining with her friends, the ones she’s been cheering with for years, and now that level 5 senior team seems much more appealing going in already with a team of girls I have full confidence in.

It’s all about the presentation given to the kids. We want them to continue to be engage in their sport. Worlds is cheerleadings Super Bowl. Everyone wants in, but only 1 comes out on top, and honestly I’d want my daughter to come out on top feeling more confident than ever because she spent an extra 2 years refining her skills and celebrating that glorious moment with her teammates that are really her best friends.

Well the ones she has been cheering with the last two years will likely move up, so that scenario doesn't work. Lol. I will say whatever happens is out of our control...and she will figure it out...but that won't take the sting away. She wouldn't take it personally because she knows the rule wouldn't have been made specific to her, but she would be an unhappy camper (and rightfully so).

Gymnasts have to be 16 to compete in senior level events. (I googled)

I can see both sides. There are pros and cons in general, and winners and losers individually.

Winners would for example be flyers who don't have worlds level skills at 12. If they have them at 13 or 14 they could still fly.

Losers are younger bases. It's hard to base someone your own size.

In general I think it would be good. Less pressure to reach that level so young. J5 would be a bigger division. Maybe let them have junior worlds?
Now there is a thought. J5 at worlds. But then 5 yr olds could potentially go...(of course that wouldn't be likely) but now you are in the same sea, just a different boat. Whatever it is i guess we will find out on the 15th.

Gymnastics is an individual sport. Cheer you are on a team that works together with 18 year olds.

Why is waiting a punishment? Junior 5 uses the same skills.
Yes j5 uses the same skills. If my 12 yr old is on a j5 team with kids 5-14 she probably wouldn't fly because, well 5 year olds (you get what I'm saying). But at 14 on a worlds team she likely would...so two years not flying level 5 and then to a worlds team, I can't even think about the money spent for privates keeping and gaining new level 5 flying skills. [emoji383]

I actually think a great solution, if these rumors have any truth to them, could be...senior level 5 non worlds teams that could compete at summit (not restricted). That way she spends the next two years still on a true level 5 team preparing for a worlds team and continuing to grow as a flyer and bases continuing to grow and get stronger. Just a thought. Like i said earlier, what will be will be and the world will continue to turn and "cheer will still be life" for my kiddo. [emoji16]

Number one if your CP is not emotionally mature enough to handle the disappointment of waiting 2 years for a Worlds team they are not emotionally ready for a Worlds team and all of the pressure that goes with it. Disappointment is a part of life. The way that we handle disappointment speaks volumes about our maturity.

Number two your attitude and how you handle the changes will greatly influence how your CP handles it.
I never said she wouldn't or couldn't handle the disappointment, so please don't put words in my mouth. I hope I'm not coming off rude, but don't you think it would be okay in her situation to be disappointed? Life is full of disappointments and it is good to acknowledge those and let it fuel motivation. This is just my opinion. It is different than yours, that is also okay. So let me stop you from saying a child isn't emotionally mature when you don't know said child. I would much rather us use our energy to look at things from a different perspective, agree to disagree when necessary and build one another up.

Yes j5 uses the same skills. If my 12 yr old is on a j5 team with kids 5-14 she probably wouldn't fly because, well 5 year olds (you get what I'm saying). But at 14 on a worlds team she likely would...so two years not flying level 5 and then to a worlds team, I can't even think about the money spent for privates keeping and gaining new level 5 flying skills. [emoji383]

I actually think a great solution, if these rumors have any truth to them, could be...senior level 5 non worlds teams that could compete at summit (not restricted). That way she spends the next two years still on a true level 5 team preparing for a worlds team and continuing to grow as a flyer and bases continuing to grow and get stronger. Just a thought. Like i said earlier, what will be will be and the world will continue to turn and "cheer will still be life" for my kiddo. [emoji16]

Not many 5 year olds have level 5 skills, but yeah, there will be some smaller kids. If the junior max age was raised to 15 or 16 she would still have a chance to fly. If she learned to base that could be a good thing too for the future.

It would be in the gym's interest to maintain flyer skills for those in your CP's situation. Discounted flyer classes for former flyers on J5? ;)

I hope it works out for her!

Not many 5 year olds have level 5 skills, but yeah, there will be some smaller kids. If the junior max age was raised to 15 or 16 she would still have a chance to fly. If she learned to base that could be a good thing too for the future.

It would be in the gym's interest to maintain flyer skills for those in your CP's situation. Discounted flyer classes for former flyers on J5? ;)

I hope it works out for her!
Are they increasing the junior age? I haven’t heard that in the discussions?

Because my kid will be 12 in March, and wants to be on a worlds team next season (and has the skills, she has been on restricted for 2 years) this will not only stop her for the 2018-19 season but also 2019-20 season if the rumors are true. So she will be "punished", for lack of a better term, for being 12 and having the skills to be on a worlds team. I might add that she has given herself goals throughout the years to give herself as many years on a worlds team as she could (her goals, she accomplished them). If a 5 year old can be on a team with a 14 year old then a 12 year old with an 18 year old shouldn't cause such a ruckus. She started at 6. She is in love with this sport and works extremely hard. She fits right in with a senior team in both skill and maturity. To say this would be a slap in the face to her is an understatement. In gymnastics are athletes kept down levels based on their age or is their level based on skill, as it should be? (Like really, I don't know the answer to this).

Mobility Requirements | Emeth Gymnastics

Yes it is a range of 7-9 years old for levels 4-10. But this is not a team sport as others said.

Are they increasing the junior age? I haven’t heard that in the discussions?

Not that I know of, it's just me thinking that they should. At least for J5 if they raise the worlds age. So there's more of an overlap.

Last edited:
This reminds me of when I was turning 16 and getting my drivers permit the state was passing bills to not allow 17 year olds to have a “normal” drivers license. At that time it was important to me because I was so close to the cut off age. Fortunately I made the cut off, but a lot of my friends didn’t. They were bummed because they had been preparing for this for years! At the end of the day, they still got a license, even if it was somewhat with restricted driving rules for a year, and they got through it. It even gave them something else to look forward to with another milestone the following year to have the restrictions removed. I guess my point is, if these are new rules the USASF will be passing, sure there might be an initial shock and some disappointment, but hopefully it will give the athletes something else to look forward to as they continue to grow and develop their skills! Inevitably, children learn how to react and respond to each situation as their parents do. So hold your heads high for your little ones and give them a life lesson on how to handle a challenging situation.
Just last night my daughter comes out for a water break at practice upset because the coach moved her spot in the routine from the front to the back and she felt it was unfair because the other athlete’s jumps weren’t as good as hers. I didn’t respond with shock or dissatisfaction, I simply told her to trust the coaches, they know what they’re doing to get the routine summit ready, have some faith and go back with your team. She walked back out on the mat and happily accepted her “new” spot at the back of the jump group. Life is full of ups and downs, roll with it!

@LateKate3 If flying on a J5 isn't an option, I guess she could move to a senior r5 to fly. Unfortunately, in that scenario she wouldn't be able to use all of the same tumbling skills. I will say flying r5 to Worlds 5 is very similar.

Back