All-Star Worlds Age Change???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Well not progress...She can move to j5 and tumble what she has been for standing tumbling. I can't imagine these ridiculous changes will stick. It doesn't make sense...a 12/13/14 year old would likely not fly on a j5 team, so a flyer would move to a worlds team from restricted without standing tumbling to a twist or a j5 tumbler (maybe base) would move to a worlds team with a year or more of not flying level 5 skills. This is not progression it is just crazy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
We'll have to agree to disagree. I feel this actually helps with progression. The ages of 13-15 is where most of the major changes happen with females as far as body type. They could be 5' and 85 pounds at 12 and by 14 they are likely taller and heavier. It's even harder to go from a flyer to a base while on a worlds team from one year to the next - or even mid season. With the age change athletes will likely have the same or similar roles throughout their senior years which will allow them to excel even more.
And believe it or not - being a base isn't a demotion.......

Guys life’s not fair. Teach your kids this. Start looking at the positives. In the long run this is what’s best for the sport.
When it directly impacts your kid I know it stinks. It’s dissapointing.
FWIW I’ve been there and I’ve been dissapointed. I am 9 & half weeks away from the end of a 13 year all star commitment.
It’s been a long haul. It’s now a job for CP, She felt the need to finish after all these years. She doesn’t get excited about much in cheerleading anymore. It’s sad. She is burned out and pretty much anyone I know that’s still in it feels the same.
Take my advice. Keep it fun and less pressured as long as you can. Use the time to teach your cps to be leaders and role models. Use the time to work on excellent technique to prevent growth spurt tumbling blocks. If your kids a flyer use the time for them to learn to base. How much space has been taken up on this board telling you your kid probably will not be a life time flyer? I know you don’t or won’t believe that but prepare your kids just in case.
You will remember the good memories and time spent with your cp more than what level they were and at what age. Worlds is just another competition... Yeah it’s great to win but realistically look at your kids chance of that. I’ve been to the summit and I’ve been to Worlds and I really don’t see much difference TBH.
Watch the news—
There are much bigger things to get upset about! Hug your babies ❤️

Why can't she continue the same skills and even more? She just can't throw them in the routine if R5 but can on J5, right? Be thankful that J5 and R5 are options where you are... many places in the country they are not - been there lived that with a kid that only missed the new cutoff by TWELVE days!
That is horrible. I feel for that child.

OK, thanks. I looked at his twitter, but I don't have an account so I am not sure that I am seeing everything. Does he use different social media platforms?
It was in a reply under one of the tweets, not sure which one.

This isn't about someone basing or flying...It just doesn't make sense if the ultimate goal is worlds at 14. Both tumbling and flying need to be progressed. No need to be rude, it is ok to disagree...But kindness is free ;)

It might be a good thing "having to" learn to base. What about girls who have always been flyers, when they eventually get too big to fly.. then they would have to learn to base on a worlds team or retire?

She can still keep up flying skills with classes, etc. Gyms will probably provide special classes for her and others in her situation - the future worlds flyers. I know it's not the same but hopefully she won't forget too much of her flying skills.

I hope they will also provide special basing classes for former flyers.

My CP has learned to base this season after never having based before... but she's only level 2 so a bit easier. She ended up enjoying it.

It might be a good thing "having to" learn to base. What about girls who have always been flyers, when they eventually get too big to fly.. then they would have to learn to base on a worlds team or retire?

She can still keep up flying skills with classes, etc. Gyms will probably provide special classes for her and others in her situation - the future worlds flyers. I know it's not the same but hopefully she won't forget too much of her flying skills.

I hope they will also provide special basing classes for former flyers.

My CP has learned to base this season after never having based before... but she's only level 2 so a bit easier. She ended up enjoying it.
I don't disagree...But my wallet is already in pain at the thought of having to pay even more to make sure she is progressing in all areas. Lol

R5 and Y5 Standing tumbling is NO longer allowed to twist. Baskets are the same.

IMO this is what they should have done:

**Level 4** - standing series to layout

**R5** - standing series to full is allowed and would score the same as standing series to layout involving a whip/bounding.

**S5** - standing series to double is allowed and scores the same as a standing series to whip involving a whip/bounding. Standing specialty passes to double score higher.

The scoring fits in line with running tumbling where specialty passes through to a full score the same as a straight double with specialty doubles scoring higher. If they did this it would give kids a much needed opportunity to work bounding in standing passes, since currently the first time you can bound in standing tumbling you’re expected to do it in front of a double.
It would also clean up a lot of skill progressions. Level 3 works standing series, level 4 works standing series to an airborne skill, restricted 5 works standing series with bounding/whips as well as standing series to a twist, and level 5 does standing series with bounding/whips ending in twisting. That way the standing tumbling, which has less power and requires more technique, is always one step down difficulty wise from running tumbling.
Plus, this change would still take away the ridiculous jump in standing tumbling difficulty between level 3 and 4.

Well not progress...She can move to j5 and tumble what she has been for standing tumbling. I can't imagine these ridiculous changes will stick. It doesn't make sense...a 12/13/14 year old would likely not fly on a j5 team, so a flyer would move to a worlds team from restricted without standing tumbling to a twist or a j5 tumbler (maybe base) would move to a worlds team with a year or more of not flying level 5 skills. This is not progression it is just crazy.

But couldn't the 13 & 14 year old be able to fly on a Worlds team next year?

Random aside, I missed the cut off to be able to super senior freshman year of college on a S5 team by 30 days.

Ish happens but you move just gotta find a way to make the best of it.

Is that for international or all level 4?

**R5** - standing series to full is allowed and would score the same as standing series to layout involving a whip/bounding.

**S5** - standing series to double is allowed and scores the same as a standing series to whip involving a whip/bounding. Standing specialty passes to double score higher.

The scoring fits in line with running tumbling where specialty passes through to a full score the same as a straight double with specialty doubles scoring higher. If they did this it would give kids a much needed opportunity to work bounding in standing passes, since currently the first time you can bound in standing tumbling you’re expected to do it in front of a double.
It would also clean up a lot of skill progressions. Level 3 works standing series, level 4 works standing series to an airborne skill, restricted 5 works standing series with bounding/whips as well as standing series to a twist, and level 5 does standing series with bounding/whips ending in twisting. That way the standing tumbling, which has less power and requires more technique, is always one step down difficulty wise from running tumbling.
Plus, this change would still take away the ridiculous jump in standing tumbling difficulty between level 3 and 4.
I like most of that model and agree with your points but to go from standing 3 to stand two to layout is still astronomical in lL3 & L4 jump. But I also think asking L3 kids to do two to tuck is also absurd.

OK - J5 is not the end of the world. Progression occurs in all kinds of ways. Sometimes kids have to evolve to learn a new position. On a J5 team, a kid from L4 or R5 can continue to progress their tumbling. And quite honestly the chances are a Worlds flyer at 12 or 13 will have to learn to base at 14-15 or even 16-18. If they truly love the sport they will make whatever transition they need to for their team to be successful.

The 9-10 year old flyer on a J5 team may learn to base at 12 and fly again at 13/14 on a worlds team. Being a well rounded athlete is much more valuable in the long run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a great solution.

I like most of that model and agree with your points but to go from standing 3 to stand two to layout is still astronomical in lL3 & L4 jump. But I also think asking L3 kids to do two to tuck is also absurd.
It has been a minute since level 3 and CP skipped level 4...But I recall that she did standing 2 to tuck on level 3. Maybe something changed since she was on level 3???

It has been a minute since level 3 and CP skipped level 4...But I recall that she did standing 2 to tuck on level 3. Maybe something changed since she was on level 3???

For as long as I remember, standing multiples was the only thing allowed in level 3. Granted, I've been involved intermittently over the last 5 years, but I'm almost positive I've never seen standing handspring to tuck in level 3. handspring, stepout,round off handspring tuck, yes, but not actual standing handspring tucks.

Back