All-Star Worlds Age Change???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That is horrible. I feel for that child.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
she is mine :) And while things didn't work out as "planned" - they still worked out. She is happily retired from allstar now with gold and silver hardware (though someone stole her ring... boo!) trying to decide between med school and the peace corps and still not old enough to drink (legally). Life happens and we bob and weave. It seems major now but in a couple of years you will look back and realize "it is just cheer" and quite honestly, the real world beyond these walls, doesn't care what level you were, when you got there or what position you were... they care about who you became.

How do the 1-4 International divisions work?

Pure curiosity as I have not kept up on this change.

Do they just follow the IASF rules and age info? Are they their own division in terms of Summit bids?

Or does Int Junior Level 3 compete with regular J3 for bids?

OK - J5 is not the end of the world. Progression occurs in all kinds of ways. Sometimes kids have to evolve to learn a new position. On a J5 team, a kid from L4 or R5 can continue to progress their tumbling. And quite honestly the chances are a Worlds flyer at 12 or 13 will have to learn to base at 14-15 or even 16-18. If they truly love the sport they will make whatever transition they need to for their team to be successful.

The 9-10 year old flyer on a J5 team may learn to base at 12 and fly again at 13/14 on a worlds team. Being a well rounded athlete is much more valuable in the long run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree with everything you said. My point was this... not flying for a bit on j5 but tumbling at a level 5 is great for tumbling and not so great for flying when they make a worlds team, and flying level 5 on restricted is great for flying but not tumbling (standing) level 5 is not so great for tumbling when they make a worlds team.

My point is not about flying, it is about athletes being prepared for a worlds team in all aspects. Think about the 15 year old base who makes a 5r team and can't do a standing two to full in a routine and then makes a worlds team and is expected to do a standing one to full or two to double.

Also, I have not seen the words novice, intermediate, etc. mentioned with cheer since I cheered actively.

Can someone clarify that? Are they now splitting every level into a novice, int, adv?

I actually like all the changes, which is a surprise.

I mean yeah it kind of sucks,
2/3 years ago half of our kids on R5 did a standing one to full. My kid worked on it and got it, and is on R5 this year and can’t even do it.
If she doesn’t make a worlds team next year and stays on Restricted she still can’t do it. And then she can’t even do toe two to fulls that she actually did this year. So yes poor Jaylen.

But overall i feel like it’s a good thing for everyone. Maybe we will see more j5’s that aren’t Restricted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree with everything you said. My point was this... not flying for a bit on j5 but tumbling at a level 5 is great for tumbling and not so great for flying when they make a worlds team, and flying level 5 on restricted is great for flying but not tumbling (standing) level 5 is not so great for tumbling when they make a worlds team.

My point is not about flying, it is about athletes being prepared for a worlds team in all aspects. Think about the 15 year old base who makes a 5r team and can't do a standing two to full in a routine and then makes a worlds team and is expected to do a standing one to full or two to double.

I see your point.

However there is no reason that 15 yo can’t progress in a tumbling class to have a standing 2 to full, 1 to full or 2 to double. Most kids get their skills before they move up a level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For as long as I remember, standing multiples was the only thing allowed in level 3. Granted, I've been involved intermittently over the last 5 years, but I'm almost positive I've never seen standing handspring to tuck in level 3. handspring, stepout,round off handspring tuck, yes, but not actual standing handspring tucks.
Maybe she just had an incredible tumble coach that taught her proper progression and made standing tumbling just as important as running. Perfection before progress was his belief. She had to learn everything through to a skill before she was able to progress to the next skill (example being that she had to have every specialty pass through to a full including a full thru to full before she could even think of working on doubles). Standing was the same concept. Three to full, two to full, one to full, whips to full and then cartwheel full before she could start working standing fulls. Best tumble coach ever.

Maybe she just had an incredible tumble coach that taught her proper progression and made standing tumbling just as important as running. Perfection before progress was his belief. She had to learn everything through to a skill before she was able to progress to the next skill (example being that she had to have every specialty pass through to a full including a full thru to full before she could even think of working on doubles). Standing was the same concept. Three to full, two to full, one to full, whips to full and then cartwheel full before she could start working standing fulls. Best tumble coach ever.

And that's exactly what the belief should be. Your daughter is lucky to have a coach with that belief. Unfortunately, that is the exception and not the rule anymore when it comes to tumbling coaches. But if, as a sport, they regulate how quickly you can use said skills, it forces it to be a little more organic (i.e., not expecting a child to move from standing multiples to layouts within one level, giving time to perfectly progress).

ETA: in my last post, I didn't mean that I didn't see kids do it, but legality wise, standing handspring to tuck was not allowed.

I see your point.

However there is no reason that 15 yo can’t progress in a tumbling class to have a standing 2 to full, 1 to full or 2 to double. Most kids get their skills before they move up a level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree, but at extra expense and extra time to maintain the skill. Time many CPs wouldn't necessarily have with HS, athletics, etc. It is a double edged sword. Getting the skills and maintaining and perfecting them when you aren't using them in practice may not be possible for all athletes. I take my CP an extra day to tumble just so she can maintain skills she has now that she isn't using. But the more involved in school she gets, the harder it will be to find that time.

How do the 1-4 International divisions work?

Pure curiosity as I have not kept up on this change.

Do they just follow the IASF rules and age info? Are they their own division in terms of Summit bids?

Or does Int Junior Level 3 compete with regular J3 for bids?
I can't speak to how it will work next season, but this season they are following the USASF age grid in regards to age, but team sizes of the IASF one. They are completely separate and teams can earn Summit bids for both international and regular. It could be changing though.

Well not progress...She can move to j5 and tumble what she has been for standing tumbling. I can't imagine these ridiculous changes will stick. It doesn't make sense...a 12/13/14 year old would likely not fly on a j5 team, so a flyer would move to a worlds team from restricted without standing tumbling to a twist or a j5 tumbler (maybe base) would move to a worlds team with a year or more of not flying level 5 skills. This is not progression it is just crazy.

They will stick. Your child is the exception not the rule.
Just be grateful you have options. My CP isn't as fortunate. It's L4 or drive 2 hours.

Just be grateful you have options. My CP isn't as fortunate. It's L4 or drive 2 hours.
I feel your pain. I drove 2.5 hours one way last season. It hurt, lol. And I am grateful about options, but I certainly don't have to agree with or like the changes. Especially when they are raising the age limits and "watering down"" the required skills.

I was in the same boat...In high school, I had level 5 skills and was mainly on level 3 teams...my mom wouldn't even let me drive an hour! lol

Some of my friends in my coaching group who coach both HS AND all stars are currently processing this.

I obvi0usly do not have a dog in the fight as a HS coach, but it seems like those "need the skills to move up" kids may need to take a class? or privates? Gyms may need to consider opening up a "get ready for Worlds class" or something.
I actually like all the changes, which is a surprise.

I mean yeah it kind of sucks,
2/3 years ago half of our kids on R5 did a standing one to full. My kid worked on it and got it, and is on R5 this year and can’t even do it.
If she doesn’t make a worlds team next year and stays on Restricted she still can’t do it. And then she can’t even do toe two to fulls that she actually did this year. So yes poor Jaylen.

But overall i feel like it’s a good thing for everyone. Maybe we will see more j5’s that aren’t Restricted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I missed that your daughter was on Queen Cobras! They are one of my fave 5Rs.

Back