All-Star Worlds Age Change???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I feel your pain. I drove 2.5 hours one way last season. It hurt, lol. And I am grateful about options, but I certainly don't have to agree with or like the changes. Especially when they are raising the age limits and "watering down"" the required skills.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It's not a huge surprise. The days of just throw it are long gone.
With trying to get "validation" for Allstar and the concentration on safety and concussion protocol watering down isn't an accurate description.
They are forcing gym owners to do what they should have done all along. Encourage proper progression. It's a safety thing.

So the USASF says they are going to release the changes and then today makes it only available to coaches and gym owners, along with CheerUpdates to put bits and pieces out on Twitter.We know there are age changes that affect the senior and worlds level teams but I understand that changes to skills permitted at each level have also occurred.

Is it unreasonable to ask for some transparency for the athletes and the paying parents? This is why people question the legitimacy of the sport - what other sport hides the scores and now the ages and rules for competing from the participants themselves?

I like most of that model and agree with your points but to go from standing 3 to stand two to layout is still astronomical in lL3 & L4 jump. But I also think asking L3 kids to do two to tuck is also absurd.

I agree. I think it would be a hard transition no matter where we put it unfortunately. Part of me thinks standing back handspring whip backhand spring should be level for level 4, only it should be stipulated that if it contains a whip it can’t and in an airborn skill.

So level 4 could be series layout or handspring whip handspring series basically. Then in r5 they put it together or start spinning it.

Former flyer's opinion: it's not that hard (unless you're doing level 6 baskets). If you have to take a year off flying to base on a junior team, you'll be fine. It's standing on one leg, locking out a knee and having body awareness. I've been out of the game for years, don't really work out, and can still walk into a gym and coed or all-girl rewind, tick-tock and double up after a few reps. And I was never that great an athlete.

Non restricted J5 can still do it? If she's at least 9 years old. There will be some 8 year olds with full level 5 skills who will not be allowed to compete them.

Yeah, I have one of those..a 7 (soon to be 8) year old that does a punch front through to double and a standing full... But really, IMO the changes are no biggie. It will give her more to look forward to..which might help keep her interested in the long run. In the mean time, it is a good opportunity to work on some of the lesser-seen level 4 passes...like a bounceback pass or maybe front handspring punch front through to layout.. Her goal is always "to do something new" not necessarily to be X level...and there's always privates to keep that need filled if nothing new is happening at practice..

They have to make rules for the greater good of the majority...they aren't going to be an absolutely perfect fit for every single kid, and we shouldn't expect them to be...that's just life.

And yeah, my kid is likely one that will fly and eventually end up as a back...but isn't the hallmark of a good cheerleader being able to do whatever is needed for the good of the team? Being 5'10" myself, I told all my girls that their days are probably numbered for flying. I figure when she gets big enough, we'll get in front of the inevitable transition by enrolling in a basing class... It's just another opportunity to challenge them with doing something new..

It's the journey that's important, no so much the destination...

Yeah, I have one of those..a 7 (soon to be 8) year old that does a punch front through to double and a standing full... But really, IMO the changes are no biggie. It will give her more to look forward to..which might help keep her interested in the long run. In the mean time, it is a good opportunity to work on some of the lesser-seen level 4 passes...like a bounceback pass or maybe front handspring punch front through to layout.. Her goal is always "to do something new" not necessarily to be X level...and there's always privates to keep that need filled if nothing new is happening at practice..

They have to make rules for the greater good of the majority...they aren't going to be an absolutely perfect fit for every single kid, and we shouldn't expect them to be...that's just life.

And yeah, my kid is likely one that will fly and eventually end up as a back...but isn't the hallmark of a good cheerleader being able to do whatever is needed for the good of the team? Being 5'10" myself, I told all my girls that their days are probably numbered for flying. I figure when she gets big enough, we'll get in front of the inevitable transition by enrolling in a basing class... It's just another opportunity to challenge them with doing something new..

How refreshing to hear from a sensible realistic parent of a young elite athlete! Many shimmies to you!

Can I shimmy you a million times?

Be right back, framing this.

When it comes to the standing tumbling progression, it does make sense. level 3 is standing multiple handsprings. then you jump to level four and you see whip-layouts because kids didn't learn to properly set into their tucks in standing tumbling, and they need layouts for the higher bracket ranges. jumping from 3-4-5 has always had a point of contention around the ways of skipping and lumping together tumbling skills (3-4 in standing and 4-5 in running basically). Just because your kid was coached right in her progression and can do it, along with having the natural talent for it, doesn't mean that all kids are/do...most kids are pushed to progress before they perfect just to max out difficulty and we see those teams that shouldn't be at worlds because they get outscored by j5 teams and everyone comes on here to complain about them.

ETA: this is a way of trying to bring together that standard of progressing along all the scoresheet at the same time, and because it hasn't been in place for years, kids are going to get stuck in less than desirable situations, but in the long run, it's better for the sport, and that's what we need to remind ourselves of...we all want safety and betterment. We can't complain because it sucks for a couple years for a few kids while needed changes are implemented.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^ it's called "Growing Pains" or "Those awkward middle school years" It is not the end of the cheer world as we know it, this too shall pass, lets just see where this goes . :shaka:

Screw the gyms---how are competitions like CheerSport and NCA going to accommodate all of those divisions at a competition? Hello, month long competitions!
So true. Unless they create separate competitions for all the divisions.

Screw the gyms---how are competitions like CheerSport and NCA going to accommodate all of those divisions at a competition? Hello, month long competitions!

It would give a whole new meaning to the phrase NCA week ;)

Back