All-Star Yoga & Cheerleading...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

KDCheerMom

Cheer Parent
May 18, 2012
I was thinking of taking my CP (14YO) to a hot Yoga class. Do any cheerleaders on here also do Yoga as part of their training program? How often do you integrate yoga with regular practices and comps? She often gets sore from all of the tumbling. Thanks all

What exactly is hot yoga? I remember seeing people tweet about it over summer and I thought they just called it hot yoga cuz it was 90 degrees with no air condition in the gym...

I took a yoga class last semester, twice a week, which happened to be on the same days as practice. It wasn't hot yoga (though the teacher did keep it uncomfortably warm in the room so we could stretch better,) just regular old yoga, but I liked it! It was 80 minutes long, and it really helped my flexibility. The teacher focused a lot on breathing into stretches, really holding them, and then repeating stretching sequences. It was a beginners class, so I was a lot more flexible than most of the other students, but they were simple yoga positions so I could really focus on improving my flexibility instead of trying to get into some crazy position. Plus it was nice and quiet and I could use the silence to decompress and stop stressing about cheer and school and just relax for a bit.

Oh haha okay, I don't feel so dumb now lol

I've seen something on TV about this. It's like a regular yoga class, they just heat up the room so you sweat more. It's more intensive i guess and my experience is that stretching goes better when it's hot - but could be totally wrong ;-)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Yes - I believe "hot" yoga is kept at a higher tempature. Another cheer mom said her daughter liked it. Mine is always so sore from tumbling and trying to improve her flexibility - I thought it might be good for her. The big question - any problem with having it on a practice day or should it be an off day? What about comps?

I also read it was good for balance which might be good for a flyer. I think we are going to try it this morning and she has practice tonight - so we can see how it goes. Otherwise there is an option for a class on an off night as well.

Thanks for the responses. Will let you know how she likes it.

In the summer we did yoga (not hot yoga) at the end of every Sunday practice. My teammates mom was a yoga instructor so she would lead us and sometimes our parents even joined us. It really helped us with our balance and flexibility, and it was a way to relax after a hard practice.

I go to hot yoga about 3/4 times a week. I don't cheer anymore, but I did it when I cheered at GymTyme. I used to get a really stiff neck from the combination of stunting (I'm a backspot) and the stress of my first year of college. The heat in hot yoga is meant to deepen the stretch. It works wonders for my Type-A, high anxiety personality.

The first few times are very difficult and will leave you sore! I would recommend it on an "off" night. I try to drink 3-4 waterbottles during the day. Hot Bikram is mainly standing positions, which would help since CP's a flyer. I prefer Hot Vinyasa, because there are seated/lying down positions and I get lightheaded standing in the hot room for too long.

Good luck! Bring a towel and stay hydrated! You will love it!

One thing about hot yoga is that your cp should have already reached puberty before enrolling her in a class. Something about the sweat glands being mature enough to handle regulating the body's change in temperature. I had enquired about this to a local hot yoga place for my own daughters and this is what they had told me.

ok - mixed reaction from my daughter...I think she just didn't think it was very fun and she said she just felt tired.. ok - in class with a bunch of adults...I guess I get it. If she has a great pratice tonight - she might change her mind. However, I liked it so I think I may continue. Thanks for all of your feedback.

Be careful with it. Like @CheerKatie08 said it's very easy to get dehydrated. You sweat A LOT. It's kept very hot in the room.

I have tons of friends who do it and a bunch more who have tried it and didn't like it. Several of them did it after a long day, weren't hydrated enough and got sick afterwards. It's great for those who prepare correctly.

Personally I could never do it because I despise being hot. I crank the AC in my car pretty much year round and keep my room very cold. I can't fathom voluntarily working out under those kind of conditions, haha

Its deathly during the actual session, but you feel so great afterwards!

I always have to pick a place not close to the mirror, because it radiates, and so I can't see the clock.

I also get frustrated if I fall out of a pose, but thats just me!

I do regular yoga, and it helps me overall as an athlete - not only in flexibility terms, but relieving sore muscles, strengthening key areas, Etc. I personally wouldn't recommend hot yoga, because I can't stand heat.

Back