All-Star You Get A Trophy, I Get A Trophy, We All Get A Trophy! Good Or Bad

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Is giving Trophies to all participants, helping or hurting athletes?

• Helping Athletes

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Hurting Athletes

Votes: 28 93.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My kids really dislike participation medals, but if they do win 1st they would prefer a medal over a trophy. I feel society's change to awarding participation trophies so kids don't feel left out is feeding the entitlement attitude that is becoming all too common. There are a lot of great life lessons that come when a child doesn't win.

The one time CP said something about not receiving a medal was when her team placed 1st (& they had competition) and they didn't receive anything at all. She wasn't upset, but she did feel the EP was cheap for not giving at least 1st place teams something.

It's extrinsic versus intrinsic motivation. What motivates a kid to try/get better? Is it getting a trophy (no matter what place it is) or is it the feeling of accomplishment they get from hitting their routine/getting a new skill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it's because I don't have kids but...

Rewarding an athlete for effort shouldn't come in the form of a trophy from an event. The fact is, in cheerleading, sports and life, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I know I learned more from every loss or last place finish that I did from winning. I feel like when you start not keeping score or lumping 4th place down together, you eliminate the drive to compete and improve. If we're all getting a trophy anyway, why try? We all get the same prize anyway.

I also wonder what this generation of kids where 'everyone is a winner' will be like when it becomes evident in life that not everyone is...job interviews, getting into colleges. To me, winning and losing at a soccer game when you're young, teaches you to handle disappointments and learn to work harder.

Plus- isn't giving trophies to everyone expensive? I haven't been to competition that does that except for 1st place. And for stunt groups everyone got a medal of their place.

The only comp I've ever been to that gave out trophies as participant gifts was Jam Live. BUT, with the live score announcements and stuff, the rest of the comp holds that mentality that if you don't win, you go home empty handed. I've been to a lot that gave out participant medals, but I would've preferred winning a medal.

I can't lie, sometimes I really liked getting the participant gifts at comps. COA's flip flops were the best flip flops I ever owned. Blankets were fun to build forts with. I always used all the draw string bags. I got a beach bag from reach the beach that I used to take to the beach. But there was lots of crap too. I didn't think of it as a "participation medal" though. They weren't things I cherished like my real medals and my jackets. I still wear my 2005 Jamfest hoodie I got for winning.

I think the massive amounts of divisions for teams to chose from when entering a competition is just another PMS (Participant Medal Syndrome hehehehehe) thing. I hate that society keeps people from failing. There's no will to do your best anymore because you'll just be handed what you want anyways.

Kids gotta learn how to lose, man. That's the only way they'll learn how to succeed.

I can't lie, sometimes I really liked getting the participant gifts at comps. COA's flip flops were the best flip flops I ever owned. Blankets were fun to build forts with. I always used all the draw string bags. I got a beach bag from reach the beach that I used to take to the beach. But there was lots of crap too. I didn't think of it as a "participation medal" though. They weren't things I cherished like my real medals and my jackets. I still wear my 2005 Jamfest hoodie I got for winning.

I think the massive amounts of divisions for teams to chose from when entering a competition is just another PMS (Participant Medal Syndrome hehehehehe) thing. I hate that society keeps people from failing. There's no will to do your best anymore because you'll just be handed what you want anyways.

Kids gotta learn how to lose, man. That's the only way they'll learn how to succeed.
I have a stack of cheer sport blankets sitting by my couch that I use all the time! And they are so great for trips! They are big enough to cover you but small enough that they don't take up a whole seat in the car. I've never felt like those were trophies though just a gift from cheersport for coming. However my cheersport jacket is my prized possession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My CP loved those flip flops too!!
I totally agree that all the division splits basically amount to a participation medal as well. Sorry but that NCA jacket (in all but Worlds divisions where they don't split) used to be a lot harder to get! I'm not saying it isn't something to aspire to...but first out of 5 in small coed level 3 group d (making it up) does not mean you are the "national champion". Enjoy the victory, but reality--- real life isn't going to work that way.

Was the Jamfest hoodie gray or red? Pretty sure fomer cp still has those.

Once upon a time they used to give out hoodies at many comps for winning....former cp had a ton of those from her first season and they were great. Never needed or wanted to buy a shirt or a sweatshirt at a comp. We have a couple of blankets that are still in good use as well as a beach towel from Reach the Beach. Aren't the Worlds drawstring bags participation gifts? I don't see anyone complaining about those. The worst participation gift or award ever received were a cardboard picture frame from some Jamfest comp (why bother wasting my $ handing those out) and a COA v-neck pullover that looked and felt like a plastic blue tablecloth.

Was the Jamfest hoodie gray or red? Pretty sure fomer cp still has those.

Once upon a time they used to give out hoodies at many comps for winning....former cp had a ton of those from her first season and they were great. Never needed or wanted to buy a shirt or a sweatshirt at a comp. We have a couple of blankets that are still in good use as well as a beach towel from Reach the Beach. Aren't the Worlds drawstring bags participation gifts? I don't see anyone complaining about those. The worst participation gift or award ever received were a cardboard picture frame from some Jamfest comp (why bother wasting my $ handing those out) and a COA v-neck pullover that looked and felt like a plastic blue tablecloth.

My hoodie is grey (might be 2006 actually) but I know the red ones you are talking about! I had the tshirt version of them and my brother and mom (she coached) had the hoodie. I think they handed those ones out for a couple of years.

I think the funniest pairing of gifts was one year COA had a participation gift of flip flops and a champion gift of ear warmers, gloves, and a scarf. You could rep COA in all seasons. I also loved my COA drawstring bag. I used it for years to carry my shoes to practice. Coincidentally, COA had the ugliest participation shirt I ever received. I didn't even know tshirts were made in a grayish pea soup green color but COA informed me that that color does, in fact, exist. And they bought them all.

I threw all my Jamfest participation gifts out. They were all crap. The picture frame, the CD case, the deck of cards, multiple key chains, etc.

I also got all the free stuff coaches got at comps and conferences since both my parents coached and they didn't want any of it. Sometimes coaches get some cool things.

I usually don't care about participation gifts but i really wished we had gotten medals like the ones you get at USASF Worlds whenever we competed at ICU Worlds and ECU Europeans. It's just a nice thing to have something as a memory of the competition. All other comps i don't really care about but these two i would have loved to get a medal at. Since ICU and ECU give out bronze, silver and gold medals to the winners it will never happen though

[QUOTE="

I also got all the free stuff coaches got at comps and conferences since both my parents coached and they didn't want any of it. Sometimes coaches get some cool things.[/QUOTE]

I totally raid coaches bags for the food and good stuff and use the rest as prizes for the kids at year end parties. I don't need another drawstring bag, but they're ecstatic to get it

The only comp I've ever been to that gave out trophies as participant gifts was Jam Live..
I thought of JamLive when I was watching that Real Segment and the shoddy trophy gifts they gave out for participating. Most of the parents were upset because most of the trophies broke within an hour the EPs passed them out and many of those cheap trophies were left on chairs and on the floor. Furthermore, daughter was totally upset because her trophy broke apart within an hour and asked the EPs for a replacement, which they asked the parents to box them up and mail back the pieces to them and they promise to send replacements....Really?! haha!

I thought of JamLive when I was watching that Real Segment and the shoddy trophy gifts they gave out for participating. Most of the parents were upset because most of the trophies broke within an hour the EPs passed them out and many of those cheap trophies were left on chairs and on the floor. Furthermore, daughter was totally upset because her trophy broke apart within an hour and asked the EPs for a replacement, which they asked the parents to box them up and mail back the pieces to them and they promise to send replacements....Really?! haha!
Just let them keep the trophies and charge me $2 less to get into the competition.

It is odd to hear about all these participation gifts and receiving individual medals/trophies for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in addition to the gym winning a trophy. I feel like here in the Northwest they figure we don't know any better, because we don't get that many participation gifts and only get medals a couple times a year. I suppose maybe I not paying enough attention, but my CP shows me what they get and they definitely don't get something at every comp. I do find it interesting that sometimes when she watches a cheerleader's You Tube video that they have several trophies in their rooms...where do they get those!?! I will say they do get pins if it is a Varsity comp, but I'm talking about other gifts. The best thing I think she has ever gotten was an ATC pillowcase. She loves it!

Back