All-Star Young Champions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What about apparel costs?
They wear whatever they want to practice. The uniform is only necessary if they want to compete in the competition. For the whole uni I think it's about 60, assuming you're new and need everything. Parents also have the option to sell raffle tickets that get entered into a raffle for an xbox and some other prizes to pay for uniform or the $30 comp fee.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I was hoping that something like this existed.... more affordable than all star, but more competitive than rec or Pop Warner/AYC. Aside from the craziness in progression (and assuming that there are more programs run like the one described above), I like it!
Just do a semi competitive team at an Allstar gym.

Just like many other programs, different locations vary dramatically. I also coach for this organization. We have our own practice facility. It is no Cheer Athletics, but we've got room for our spring floor and some tumbling equipment. My state does NOT do this pom thing. Athletes are placed by age and level regardless of how many sessions they've been here. The lack of progress you are talking about could almost guarantee the coach would not be around long. And probably over 3/4 of the coaches in our state are USASF credentialed. We also have a handful of coaches who are USASF safety judge certified (including me).

Our rules are fairly similar to USASF, although we stretch out levels 1 and 2 into a couple levels, and have a completely non-stunting level for our 4-6 year olds. From there, the are the exact same as USASF rules, with the exception of some stunts requiring spotters/extra catchers that USASF does not. Tumbling rules are about a level down for various reasons.

Personally, I believe it is a great program for introducing kids to the sport. It isn't for everyone, and that's ok. I like the fact that with the limited practice schedule we have, my kids can participate in a number of other sports and activities that they may not be able to otherwise. And competing within the organization eliminates the problem of attending a competition and only competing against one/two other teams. If the kids are looking for something more, I'm happy to send them to the all-star gym down the street. I've coached kids who are World's medalists in this program. But, of course, it all depends on the location. Some states are significantly more all-star focused, and some have more of a rec feel.
Interesting. I spoke with a representative about this program and the practices in my area were going to be held in a church. With no mats. And there was no tumbling allowed. And no stunting. Except maybe a cartwheel and thigh stand would be ok. And competition was optional, so you had to create a competition routine but if the athlete/parent didn't want to participate they didn't have to. And there were very wide age ranges for teams. And coaches got paid partly on commission. It was literally explained to me just like that. It seemed to be basically a pom type dance program but was called cheer. It just seemed like a mess to me, and I don't even think it is an active program in my state. Glad to know it is a bit more organized where you are.

Just do a semi competitive team at an Allstar gym.

Right. I'm wondering if YCOA tends to exist in areas where there are limited options in terms of non-sideline "I want my kid to compete but don't want her on a full year travel team" options.

You know, the places where there are no gyms, gyms without half-year/prep/limited travel, or no rec teams that don't cheer for sports.

Right. I'm wondering if YCOA tends to exist in areas where there are limited options in terms of non-sideline "I want my kid to compete but don't want her on a full year travel team" options.

You know, the places where there are no gyms, gyms without half-year/prep/limited travel, or no rec teams that don't cheer for sports.

Regarding limited options... I'm in NC. The YCOA competitions were pretty decent sized. My daughter got into it b/c none of the local rec programs in the area offer cheer themselves. I think YCOA came in and did it for them, as it is/was listed on the Recs & Parks website. I will say in our area, it is YCOA, which most people are completely unaware it exists, or Allstar until 7th grade when MS cheer starts. Our Allstar gym has showcase, prep, and full year teams, so it isn't a lack of options, but probably a lack of affordable options (relatively speaking as our gym is pretty cheap from what I am gathering) that keeps the program going in the area.

My daughter did YCOA for 4 years in NC at the city rec center. The "coaches" are actually instructors which teach them a 2.5 minute routine of chant/cheer, dance/stunt each session. There are 3 sessions a year - fall, winter, and summer. At the end of fall and winter there is a regional competition. Each squad that places then goes on to the state competition a few weeks later. Levels 4 and up that earn enough points at both state comps that year qualify to go to Nationals. The summer session has a recital at the end instead of a competition. The uniform with pom poms are about $125, comp fees were $35-$45 for each and are optional.

My daughter enjoyed YCOA very much. It sparked her love of cheer. Our location only went to level 4 (similar to allstar level 1) and after a few sessions at level 4 she was no longer learning anything and it was time to move on. She was one of few kids that returned each session. To say it as nice as possible, the instructors were a bit dramatic. But they do promote an everyone is a winner, everyone gets a trophy atmosphere which some people love. In selling allstar to hubby I added up the cost of YCOA for a year plus her tumbling lessons and it wasn't that far off from her current allstar tuition.

I've been coaching for this company for 5 years. I also coach high school. Our level 4 is similarish to a level one/two in all star cheer. I can understand the concerns brought up by many of the people on this board and I agree with them, as well. However, I can say that it all depends on your coach. I know of a few coaches in my region that are well trained in cheer and coaching. I do know that the company is trying to make changes in my area to follow USASF guidelines for our level 4 and up. The only thing I can say that I am incredibly uncomfortable with is that we do not have mats. This is dangerous and I'm surprised our insurance company and the facilities allow this to happen.

Back