All-Star Younger Kids On Senior Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I've been on both ends, the twelve year old on the senior team, but I was very mature and actually had the most experience. And the older girl who helps make that 12 year old join the teen world the RIGHT way. And while it sucks be older and deal with younger girls, or switch up your position. But it will just make you a better athlete. Being a base and flyer helps my high shool team alot because in case of a injury I can step in anywhere. It's learning experience.
Yes very true! I've already learn a ton backspotting & I still fly on my Varsity school team so I'm not loosing flying completely :)

On my senior 3 team last year we had 1 girl who was 8 and turned 9 during the season, 3 girls who were 10 turning 11, and 2 that were 12 turning 13. All 6 of them were our flyers. Why were they on the team? They all had level 3, if not 4/5 skills and the only younger level teams we had were youth 1 and junior 2. 3 of the oldest ones also crossed to senior 4, but the 3 younger ones needed more experience in stunting to get to the next level. There were also many girls on Senior 3 that were new to both a senior team and a level 3 team, so stunting smaller girls made it helpful for them to learn stunting technique and such. Could you tell how young they all were when watching them on the mat? No, because our coaches were tough on them and taught them to be just as tight, sharp, and flexible as our older flyers on senior 4, and by the end of the season they were killing it! Now, this year, so many of our younger kids are gaining level 3/4 skills, so maybe a youth/junior 3/4 is in the works. Now, these girls will be the veterans and can help the newly level 3/4 kids for this next year! As one of the older girls on the team, yes, occasionally it was annoying when they weren't paying attention or what not, but the coaches always addressed it and treated them just like the rest of us. You're being loose? You'll lose your flying spot to an older girl. You're gonna cry for no reason? Welcome to youth 1. You're not gonna pay attention? Go run a sprint. I was surprised at how mature some of them acted, so don't count them out yet! They're all like my little sisters now. I let them know when they're doing something wrong/misbehaving, but I am also their biggest supporter and their moms are so appreciative. I know it must be a bummer to not get to fly, but use this as a year to focus on other aspects of the routine and an opportunity to become a leader!

Back