All-Star Your Coach Is Your Mom? Like Or Dislike?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

my mom doesn't coach but ive seen situations where a mom does coach her daughter, and the daughter and all her friends were basically "favorites" and were put front and center for everything even if they didn't work for it, or had special privileges that the rest of the team didn't receive. i think having your mom be your coach is fine as long as it isn't like that. but id assume that maybe a con of having your mom coach you is that theres probably a lot of pressure to get new skills?

My mom doesn't coach me, but I always ask how good Ilooked and stuff. I wouldn't be able to have her coach me full time because sometimes i just get tired of hearing her voice and get an attitude with whatever she says, which would not be good for practice haha

my mom doesn't coach but ive seen situations where a mom does coach her daughter, and the daughter and all her friends were basically "favorites" and were put front and center for everything even if they didn't work for it, or had special privileges that the rest of the team didn't receive. i think having your mom be your coach is fine as long as it isn't like that. but id assume that maybe a con of having your mom coach you is that theres probably a lot of pressure to get new skills?

MINES THE OPPISITRE! and yes thats true...about pressure! but oh my, i dont get favorited!

My mom was my assistant coach for a few years, and we were good friends with the head coach. For a few formations I was lucky enough to get in the front line, but that was more because I was the oldest on the team. I actually was pushed harder and yelled at more because my coach knew that if they saw me getting corrected, they would follow suit and fix the mistakes too. I really didn't mind it because it made me a heck of a better cheerleader :)

My mom was my assistant coach for a few years, and we were good friends with the head coach. For a few formations I was lucky enough to get in the front line, but that was more because I was the oldest on the team. I actually was pushed harder and yelled at more because my coach knew that if they saw me getting corrected, they would follow suit and fix the mistakes too. I really didn't mind it because it made me a heck of a better cheerleader :)

yes! same...i am yelled at more than anyone on the team!

my poor daughter had to be coached by me and her sister!! and believe me she got NO special treatment! if anything i was harder on her.

my mom coached me for 6 years and i loved it at some points but hated it at others. i was yelled at 10 times more then anyone else on the team, i was criticized for everything i did, and my mom and i got in a bunch of fight over things happening at practice. i loved it because i always had someone there for support and if i got hurt my mom was right there by my side. i was pushed very hard to get my tumbling and i progressed very fast while my mom coached me but when i went onto high school cheer i stopped progressing and have had a mental block for 3 years on and off. im not sure if that has anything to do with my mom not coaching me anymore or if it was just a coincidence. there are so many pros and cons to having you parent coaching you.

My mom coached me when I did popwarner but that was no big deal. Now I'll show her my dance or cheer and ask how I looked, at home this is, she always just gives me advice.

my mom coaches me... I like it she treats me like everyone else on my team, and i'm not front and center for everything either. I had to earn my spot just like everyone else.

I coached Hailey's individual for 3 years. As much as I loved giving my input, I was so happy to turn her over to Rays when we moved here. While the compliments were always plentiful from me, I was also VERY critical. She didn't like "critical" coming from her momma!! She needed me to just be her cheerleader, which is what I have been (most of the time ;) ) since her individual days have been over.

my mom coached me for 3 years when she owned her own gym. i can honestly say it was one of the most trying time periods of my life. yes, i was going through things of my own through middle school and the beginning of high school, but when it comes to cheerleading, my mom and i have very differing philosophies. i NEVER got special treatment, if anything, I was moved to worse spots because my mom knew i could handle the upset. i was also criticized more than any other girl, even if she still denies that. and anytime i got hurt, it was as if nothing happened. my mom would basically tell me i was over exaggerating and get back up. i now have back and ankle issues from that. i love my mom, but we are just two very different people who should not be put in a coach/daughter relationship. i also feel that it really affected the family at home. i never wanted to bring up anything cheerleading related for fear of being criticized.

Back