1 1/2 Twist Step Out...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 8, 2012
Hi fierceboarders, so my tumbling has recently progressed in leaps and bounds and now I can land my double (sometimes under rotated :oops:) and have a really solid 1 1/2 twist. So wanting to learn new things after being able to to an arabian through to a double I tried a 1 1/2 twist step out... And oh it was a hot mess and I really really need some pointers...

First of all I cannot seem to be able to learn forward enough coming out of my twist to connect the RO. I can land almost upright but I can't seem to be able to lean.

Secondly when twisting I get lost as to where to "pull out" my legs for the RO after. I tried pulling them out after the first full twist slowly hoping by the time I finished the extra half twist they would be there but I had no success and whenever I try pulling them out at the last second it doesn't work because I simply cannot snap them fast enough.

Those are my two major problems at the moment and advice or drills would be greatly appreciated as I would love to put this in a tumbling pass! (Sorry for any mistakes in regards to cheer terminology)

Its just a matter of getting used to knowing where you are when you're twisting. Once you start to feel comfortable with it, the step out will come naturally. As for leaning forward, try setting your feet slightly more behind you so you can get higher and have more time to rotate. It also makes it easier to rotate more if you reach farther out of your 11/2; basically, when you are ready to step out, reach farther for your roundoff. In turn, it will help to train your mind to slightly over rotate the 11/2 and it will make it 100x easier to do any advanced tumbling out of the skill. Also, make sure that when you are rotating the 11/2, the lower half of your body isn't piking at all because it will slow you down tremendously. Hope this helped, Good luck! :)

Little extra on the Layout come chest just ahead of toe. Spot and starting opening your hip at 1&1/4 to the lunge so you come out on line.

Back