All-Star 1/31-2/1 American Masters Upper Marlboro, Md

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Generally this place does small rec events - I was shocked it was holding a big event because it never handled the small ones well. I laughed when it was still listed as Baltimore. It is in the middle of no where and some very iffy areas not too far from it.

UMD Cole Field House is larger and they have better concessions and fountain sodas. As you can tell I'm all about the food. LOL

I liked the event but I agree that the Showplace arena is never equipped for any cheer competition that is held there... Thankfully I didn't see any long ticket lines when I arrived, but I had heard stories about it before I had arrived... They always run out of food so I warned our families before hand to pack some in their bags.

Coles Field House would have been better agreed but personally I prefer convention centers. More space for teams to congregate and usually more food places ;) near by

Definitely agree. Baltimore convention center is a great location and my favorite. Connected hotels, the ever popular Starbucks and tons to do in walking distance.

They added the scores wrong for the small j2 teams in my CPs division so they announced the incorrect placements. First went to a team that didn't place at all once they got it together. They came back later and said "we need these teams back up here" these are the correct placements. So sorry.

I knew something was wrong when the team that was 1st after the first day didn't place. They had no issues during their routine the second day so I knew there was a problem. Our program director went running over to the table & he pointed out the scoring error.
That was my daughters team! The team that ended up being in 3rd, but was on first day one. We actually got 0.75 deductions on day 2, though. But thank goodness for your program director! My daughter wants to give him a big hug, LOL.

Does anyone know if this competition is definitely moving to Baltimore next year? It says it on their website.

Also we are thinking of maybe putting this on our schedule for next year. Did everyone like this competition? Was it run well? How was scoring?

Also how many summit bids did they give out last year?

Does anyone know if this competition is definitely moving to Baltimore next year? It says it on their website.

Also we are thinking of maybe putting this on our schedule for next year. Did everyone like this competition? Was it run well? How was scoring?

Read above posts it was a HOT MESS. I think originally this year it was scheduled for Baltimore and then they moved it to outside of Baltimore. I was not that impressed. I know teams had to drop out because they suddenly changed the schedule and put Youth and Under on Friday night. I HOPE our gym does not go back to it.

If I had a choice I wouldn't return if it was in Upper Marlboro again, the venue is a mess. I have attended this previously when it was at the Baltimore CC and enjoyed it. As @Mom2Cheergirls said, read all the posts in this thread - no one was happy with the issues this year.

Ive attended this event when it was in Baltimore and it was much better run then it was this time at the Showplace Arena.. I am hoping that the move back to Baltimore will enable it to be better run and allow for parents to not fear for their safety in the surrounding areas (i didnt care, but a lot of parents from our program complained about the lack of hotels in the immediate area and the concerns for their safety in the area)

Ive attended this event when it was in Baltimore and it was much better run then it was this time at the Showplace Arena.. I am hoping that the move back to Baltimore will enable it to be better run and allow for parents to not fear for their safety in the surrounding areas (i didnt care, but a lot of parents from our program complained about the lack of hotels in the immediate area and the concerns for their safety in the area)
Yep you are right on the money - due to the weather season and traffic and our late night call night one and early call day 2 we stayed over 1 night and knowing the area I knew where to avoid and where to stay. It is an interesting area and easy to end up in an area with serious crime issues.

Back