All-Star 2013/14 Great Sportsmanship

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 12, 2012
Cheerleading isn't just about being the best at stunting, the prettiest or the best at tumbling. It's also about good sportsmanship. Now that we've all got a couple competitions under our belts from this season, what are some fab. examples of good sportsmanship you've seen or heard about lately?

Just last weekend my team went to our third competition of the season, and for the first time ever, everyone was super nice. A girl from another team / our rival gym actually came up to me and one of my friends, telling us our make-up looked amazing. I ended up offering to do hers, and while it was awkward being the only girl from my team in their designated area, it left me with a warm fuzzy feeling afterwards. :) I also saw some girls from another club holding the doors open for some fresh air for a team that had just competed. Talk about positive cheer-elationships!

I have to say, I think this year has been phenomenal as far as good sportsmanship has been concerned. I've seen it at every competition we've been to.

i agree that there has been great sportsmanship all around this year.

i loved the sportsmanship between my small coed 5 team (usa wildcats) and allstar legacy small coed at battle at the capitol. our teams were neck and neck both days and we both ended up getting a paid bid to worlds. they were so nice to us. we both cheered eachother on all weekend and we were so excited that we could share the excitement of getting a paid bid with them!

1911719_577063322382959_1165908055_n.jpg

i agree that there has been great sportsmanship all around this year.

i loved the sportsmanship between my small coed 5 team (usa wildcats) and allstar legacy small coed at battle at the capitol. our teams were neck and neck both days and we both ended up getting a paid bid to worlds. they were so nice to us. we both cheered eachother on all weekend and we were so excited that we could share the excitement of getting a paid bid with them!

1911719_577063322382959_1165908055_n.jpg
I noticed that! Both teams set an excellent example for the younger kids. You should be proud :)

I noticed that! Both teams set an excellent example for the younger kids. You should be proud :)

Thank you! I am very proud of how both our teams acted that whole weekend. We won the sportsmanship award and we said we wanted to share it with all star legacy because it was both of our teams that showed great sportsmanship all weekend. That's what its all about!

So wonderful to hear about all the amazing sportsmanship! :D Such great attitudes and examples for all the other athletes out there!

I think this topic should have more postings than any other but I fear it won't for a few reasons. I think people are often more vocal about the negative and don't take the time to emphasize all of the positive that goes on.

Also, if we emphasized the merits of good sportsmanship more and gave even more recognition to teams that exemplify good sportsmanship then I think more teams would strive to be better sports. Increased recognition would make a difference.

In addition, hold gyms, teams and coaches accountable for bad sportsmanship. Maybe not on the scoresheet but somehow. As a parent I feel (I'm sure coaches would disagree) sportsmanship is more important than the perfection of skills.

Everybody wants to win and we all get caught up in the competitive aspects of cheer (parents, athletes and coaches alike). But being a good sport isn't going to change who's on the podium. It will however change the experience into one that is much more positive. Involvement in cheer should make athletes better people, with increased self esteem. Most of the poor sportsmanship I've witnessed I consider to be bullying. I think we are way too dismissive of it's impact on the athlete's lives. Cheerleading already has a 'mean girl' stigma that we need to overcome. The world's perception of cheer does matter if we truly want it considered a sport. Nobody wants to prove that label to be accurate.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

At UCA last week my cp's old team from last year (Cheer Florida Allstars Y3) won. A cheer mom friend posted a video of the results being called. A team next to CFA actually got to their feet and gave them a standing ovation. The team was in their division - red and white. It was not the 2nd place team because they were on the other end of the mat and I saw them get their award. I posted how wonderful I thought that sportsmanship was. It was so nice and refreshing to see.

Ultimate Allstars, a smaller gym from Northern CA have been at almost everyone of our comps and the girls are so sweet! In warmups we all huddled together and took pictures with them.
Cheer Experience has been so nice! My team tied with their team for 1st and they came up to us saying congrats and we did the same.
And at our second comp, we competed against a team from a different CALI location and tied with them. We all acted like one team and most of the girls from each team found a buddy and hung out with them for the rest of the day. :D

Ultimate Allstars, a smaller gym from Northern CA have been at almost everyone of our comps and the girls are so sweet! In warmups we all huddled together and took pictures with them.
Cheer Experience has been so nice! My team tied with their team for 1st and they came up to us saying congrats and we did the same.
And at our second comp, we competed against a team from a different CALI location and tied with them. We all acted like one team and most of the girls from each team found a buddy and hung out with them for the rest of the day. :D

LOVE Cheer Experience. Absolutely adore them, everyone is so nice.

Back