All-Star 2013-2014 New Uniforms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't think it's fair to compare a uniform for an athletic event to something you'd see on a runway or red carpet. One is for competing and aiding the athlete while performing skills and the other is for looking pretty and making a statement, and I think the all star world may have the two mixed up.
And in terms of a team not being remembered because of their uniform… CA Panthers uniforms aren't super flashy. Sublimated crop and skort that you can wear a sports bra with and before that a uniform with no bling and the open shoulder/neck strap top style that's pretty common today, but yet everyone always talks about them. But lets take it a step further. Kentucky has been wearing the same uniform since the 80's but they still have 20 national titles and every year I'm blown away by their skills. Since OO5 did well this weekend, it can be concluded that uniforms apparently don't detract from a routine, so why are we putting athletes in these ridiculous costumes? It doesn't benefit the athletes in competition, it just draws attention to them. Are people really that desperate to be talked about? Are they afraid their skills won't make enough of a statement? Why? And I'm not just referring to TG, this is to anyone putting out these crazy uniforms. I know it's in the culture of all star cheer to wear the crop top uniforms, but with how it looks like the all star world is heading, I'm with @cheermommaRN, bring on the A&T/STUNT uniforms, because Oregon and Louisville still look pretty dang impressive wearing shorts and a full top, long sleeve shirt with a number on it.

i doubt it. top gun has done plenty of uniforms in the past that were low cut, etc. and i never heard of any of them having a nip slip in the past. with all the back straps connecting to the top and the neck area it probably wont be an issue.

That you know of...

I don't think it's fair to compare a uniform for an athletic event to something you'd see on a runway or red carpet. One is for competing and aiding the athlete while performing skills and the other is for looking pretty and making a statement, and I think the all star world may have the two mixed up.
And in terms of a team not being remembered because of their uniform… CA Panthers uniforms aren't super flashy. Sublimated crop and skort that you can wear a sports bra with and before that a uniform with no bling and the open shoulder/neck strap top style that's pretty common today, but yet everyone always talks about them. But lets take it a step further. Kentucky has been wearing the same uniform since the 80's but they still have 20 national titles and every year I'm blown away by their skills. Since OO5 did well this weekend, it can be concluded that uniforms apparently don't detract from a routine, so why are we putting athletes in these ridiculous costumes? It doesn't benefit the athletes in competition, it just draws attention to them. Are people really that desperate to be talked about? Are they afraid their skills won't make enough of a statement? Why? And I'm not just referring to TG, this is to anyone putting out these crazy uniforms. I know it's in the culture of all star cheer to wear the crop top uniforms, but with how it looks like the all star world is heading, I'm with @cheermommaRN, bring on the A&T/STUNT uniforms, because Oregon and Louisville still look pretty dang impressive wearing shorts and a full top, long sleeve shirt with a number on it.

This is perfect :shimmy:

I'm feeling like it's a lot of "hate" by people that 1) cannot wear it (physically) or 2) cannot afford it......

Ok let's at least be realistic - and if you're trying to be insulting, here's a tip: insults work better if they're a) not tired and old, and b) something that actually hits home and is true.

1) I cannot physically wear any uniforms in this thread and I don't "hate" 90% of them. So I doubt that's it. I also can't wear bikinis, but I love them 2) Please... Are you serious? It's a thread full of allstar cheerleaders and their parents. It is NOT a cheap sport. I'm pretty sure we can afford a uniform. If I can afford to have 2 daughters on 4 teams for yeeears, and I can now afford Irish dance dresses, I think I can afford this. :rolleyes:

@Drkilluzionz I never understand why you get so defensive on this subject. You purposely design something you know will be controversial, and you know will be talked about. Why do you then get so offended when it gets exactly the reaction you wanted in the first place?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Sooo..
On with some uniforms!!
Peach Arch Champion Cheer from Canada! (not exactly sure where in Canada..)
o6k6j4.png

the back of the top is just normal but with the little logo (like on the skirt)!
some of the younger teams have full tops i believe... not quite sure.
Nice, but I cringe when I see that trademark infringement. Several teams do it, and the designer in me gets a little fired up every time I see it.

When you all created this uniform did you not think for even one second there would be any fall out? If part of your purpose was to create a stir and be the "talked about team" ...well mission accomplished. I just wish I could have seen past the uniform to see the fabulous routine that Top Gun is consistently known for putting out on the floor.

This is my point as well. It's sad that 6-7 years ago when you mentioned Top Gun, their amazing tumbling and stunting was the first thing you thought about. Now the predominant talk is about their uniforms and the skills are overshadowed.

The maple leaf in the middle of the C's changes it so that it's not the Chanel CC

That does not matter. If it's recognizable as their logo, it's infringement. That's like saying changing Hello Kitty's bow from red to blue makes it no longer HK.

Sorry, I know I have a bug up my butt about trademark.

I'm not crazy about the uniform, but, I don't think they designed it to be controversial. I just think that's Top Gun's style. There uniforms are always different. Love it, hate it, we're all talking about it.

@Lazydaisytoo I don't know why it won't let me quote you, but I'll just tag you.

People say that a lot on here so I looked it up. (yes I know the Internet isn't always right, but I feel like I used some pretty good sources). According to the way the law is written and previous cases have been decided, the main factor is that there has to be a "likelihood of confusion," meaning that it has to be likely that people will think the product came from the original company. I think This is how people get away with it on cheer uniforms - no one is thinking that anyone got some Chanel cheer uniforms.

I'm not saying I disagree with you - it kinda bugs me too, because I don't understand why NO ONE in cheer seems to be able to come up with a logo with 2 letter C's that doesn't look like the Chanel logo. That's why I looked it up - because I couldn't understand how so many people got away with it. I always figured it was because huge companies don't bother to look at cheer, but I don't know.... We posted a dance video on YouTube the other day that was taken with a phone (so there was all kinds of noise and you could barely hear the music) and Disney blocked it within 5 minutes! So I know they have some kind of software that looks for their stuff.

I'm guessing it's a combination of not worth it to pursue it, and that there's that little clause about "likelihood of confusion" which would be hard to prove with a cheer gym.

Either way - if your gym name involves 2 C's, get more creative! Seriously, if top gun can make these uniforms every year, surely someone can come up with a way to put 2 letters together creatively!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

@Lazydaisytoo
I'm not saying I disagree with you - it kinda bugs me too, because I don't understand why NO ONE in cheer seems to be able to come up with a logo with 2 letter C's that doesn't look like the Chanel logo. That's why I looked it up - because I couldn't understand how so many people got away with it. I always figured it was because huge companies don't bother to look at cheer, but I don't know.... We posted a dance video on YouTube the other day that was taken with a phone (so there was all kinds of noise and you could barely hear the music) and Disney blocked it within 5 minutes! So I know they have some kind of software that looks for their stuff.

I'm guessing it's a combination of not worth it to pursue it, and that there's that little clause about "likelihood of confusion" which would be hard to prove with a cheer gym.

Huge companies are always on the lookout. They have to be! They do sweeps on Etsy, Ebay, etc. all the time. Show me one IP lawyer who would sign off on using that logo on a cheer uniform. Not gonna happen. Putting that on any garment is asking for trouble.

Back