All-Star 2016-2017 Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I always kind of wondered why the international divisions at worlds were labelled "International" and why they had the # per country rule when every other division at worlds doesn't have that rule despite the fact that international teams can most certainly enter those divisions as well. I understand that foriegn teams probably have a lot of older people on those teams than younger ones so the division fits them better, but in theory, Worlds is an international competition, yet we only have one age bracket that accomodates the international teams.

I am absolutely, positively, 10000000% against making more division in cheer but would a solution be making two open divisions? An open division at worlds that followed the 10-best-teams-no-matter-what rule as the rest of the divisions do and then have a strictly international division where the international teams can have their 3 per country rule? American teams cannot enter the international open division but international teams can enter the open division if they so chose. Most of the international teams say they want to compete against the best of the best but they don't want more than three US (and Canada tbh) teams to move on because there will fill the top 10 slots. Most international teams can't have it both ways. They can really only have one or the other.

Again though, I'm whole heartedly against creating new divisions (and I think we need to get rid of the small, medium, and large divisions - atleast in the AG divisions - if we are going to start using ratio scoring) but i feel like this would clear up a lot of criticism coming from both sides.
THIS. Why not just call them the Open Small/Large Coed/All-Girl 5/6 division? All divisions allow international teams to participate in, so why the special "international" label?

I may get some hate for this, but I'm against the 3-per-country rule. People argue that it's expensive for teams to travel from afar and not be given a higher chance of qualifying into finals, if that's the case... then you're clearly not ready to compete amongst the best of the best. And if you're not ready, what do you do? Just don't go!! Simple.

I come from a region of the world where there have only been a handful of teams that have attended Worlds. After watching some of the recordings of other international teams at this past Worlds, I can confidently say that a number of teams from this region are capable of scoring better and yet, they're not attending. I've spoken to some of the members of these teams, and they said that they want to look comparable to teams in the U.S. before forking out $$$$$ to travel and compete. They could probably gather the funds to compete at Worlds next year, but they don't just want to compete at Worlds, they want to compete and actually be good competition for the U.S. teams.

It's expensive for Alaska All-Stars to travel to Worlds too.

I just want to know why the heck Puerto Rico is considered to be a different country.

I'd really like to know what the cost per year is for international foreign teams vs US open teams. I would assume it is not that much different when you look at the yearly cost rather the cost of World's itself. GT's open teams travel to NCA and Cheersport and Worlds. Cali and Cheerforce Nfinity both travel to NCA and Worlds. Those teams have multiple flights and multiple nights in hotel rooms in a season (and if they have to pay STP room prices then *shutters*). Going to worlds and getting to worlds are two different costs. International teams might pay more to go to worlds but to get to worlds, the two may spend the same amount.

Not that I think the amount of money you spend to get there should be a determining factor on if you make it into finals.

The top 3 rule is ridiculous. It's like making gymnastics like this-
Top 3 places have to go to a different country.
Simone Biles and Gabby Douglas take places 1 and 2 for the all- around. But, because they both represent the US, only Simone gets the gold medal. The silver medal then goes to the next highest athlete from a different country. Fair? No.

Cheer Fusion 2016-2017 teams

Tiny Teal - Tiny 1
Mini Bling - Mini 1
Glimmer - Youth 1
Diamonds - Senior 1
Mini Gems - Mini 2
Jade - Large Junior 2
Teal Crush - Large Senior 4.2
Glam - Junior 3
Royalty - Youth 3
Fierce 4 - Youth 4
Dream Team - Senior Coed 4
Prodigy - Senior Coed Restricted 5
Tiny Hip Hop
Mini Hip Hop
Youth Hip Hop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issue with top 10 regardless of country is that until recently (and to some extent, it still happens), most international teams can't compete at the same level as the US teams as cheer isn't as big in their country, or hasn't been around as long. I feel that even in Canada, we're only just starting to catch up fully with the US teams int eh International divisions. If I knew that I was travelling around the world for a 2:30 min routine and no shot at anything else, the draw wouldn't be there for me. I see it as comparing a great high school basketball team playing against a NBA team. Both may be great in their respective division, but the HS team will always be crushed by the 'professionals'.

Until cheer sees more equality throughout different countries, I think it needs to stay as top 3 from each. And yes, I have been on the losing end of that by missing finals by .5 and watching X-All Stars from random country make finals over us when we scored 30 points higher.

NBA teams play against the best of the best (I.e Worlds) whereas high school isn't at that standard.

Are you trying to tell me in your analogy that the high school team should be allowed a free pass into NBA finals, and a 'professional' team not because the HS mediocre and not at the same level?

(This wasn't an attack at you - your example just shows perfectly the problem here. Also sorry if the terms are wrong, haven't a clue about NBA #ukprobs)

No, just that high school and NBA are on completely different levels, but can still be amazing in their respective division. But the professional team is going to beat them every time. Maybe comparing professional European hockey leagues to the NHL is a better comparison. Both are professional, but most European teams would get crushed by most NHL teams, simply because of the amount of time, experience and talent in athletes and coaches available in North America. I still feel that is where we are with US cheer versus Intl. cheer. Yes, there are some exceptions, (Flyers, Viqueens, etc.) of Intl. teams who can compete with the American teams, but most can't.

Basically, I think the 3 country rule is stupid, and my teams have been bit in the butt by it, but if we want Intl. cheer to grow, taking the top 10 isn't going to currently encourage Intl. teams at this point in the game. I would love to get rid of it, but I don't think we can yet. I'd predict that a lot of Intl. teams will stick to other large competitions if that was the case. I still think we need more equity across countries.

Simone Biles and Gabby Douglas take places 1 and 2 for the all- around. But, because they both represent the US, only Simone gets the gold medal. The silver medal then goes to the next highest athlete from a different country. Fair? No.

I mean, this actually kind of happened in the 2012 Olympics with Gabby Douglas/Aly Raisman/Jordyn Wieber thing. All three qualified for the All Around Finals, placed (I believe) 2, 3, and 4, but since there's the two per country rule, only Gabby and Aly got to go. I'm still salty about it, to be honest.

No, just that high school and NBA are on completely different levels, but can still be amazing in their respective division. But the professional team is going to beat them every time. Maybe comparing professional European hockey leagues to the NHL is a better comparison. Both are professional, but most European teams would get crushed by most NHL teams, simply because of the amount of time, experience and talent in athletes and coaches available in North America. I still feel that is where we are with US cheer versus Intl. cheer. Yes, there are some exceptions, (Flyers, Viqueens, etc.) of Intl. teams who can compete with the American teams, but most can't.

Basically, I think the 3 country rule is stupid, and my teams have been bit in the butt by it, but if we want Intl. cheer to grow, taking the top 10 isn't going to currently encourage Intl. teams at this point in the game. I would love to get rid of it, but I don't think we can yet. I'd predict that a lot of Intl. teams will stick to other large competitions if that was the case. I still think we need more equity across countries.

But isn't worlds about competing against the best of the best and NOT your respective division? If you don't want to compete against US teams you don't have to come to worlds. Worlds is for all teams from all over the world, that's including the US.

I disagree with this.

I think the top 3 rule babies teams that shouldn't be in finals to begin with. It's like saying "it's okay that your team scored a 50, but because you're not from the US, we'll give you a spot in finals. And, you'll probably get a spot next year with the same routine. because, well, you're not from the US. So, don't worry about making too many improvements. Just make sure you don't move your team to the US."

However, if they decided to use fair placements to decide finals, teams would have to step up their game. Other countries will learn that to play with the big dogs, they have to be a big dog. If that means taking a few more years to work on skills or recruiting US coaches to help them, then so be it. It's okay for some countries to be better at things than others. There are plenty of sports that the US doesn't kick butt in.

Those in favor of using address instead of scores to determine finalists, do you think that NCA Nationals should do the same thing for states? Should they limit the number of Texas teams making finals because other teams have to travel further? Do you think that "disadvantaged" states need to be nurtured by artificially making their final rankings higher? If not, why is Worlds different? After all, cheer isn't as developed in Montana as it is in Texas.

I disagree with this.

I think the top 3 rule babies teams that shouldn't be in finals to begin with. It's like saying "it's okay that your team scored a 50, but because you're not from the US, we'll give you a spot in finals. And, you'll probably get a spot next year with the same routine. because, well, you're not from the US. So, don't worry about making too many improvements. Just make sure you don't move your team to the US."

However, if they decided to use fair placements to decide finals, teams would have to step up their game. Other countries will learn that to play with the big dogs, they have to be a big dog. If that means taking a few more years to work on skills or recruiting US coaches to help them, then so be it. It's okay for some countries to be better at things than others. There are plenty of sports that the US doesn't kick butt in.

Some would and others couldn't. Many teams can't afford to fly out American coaches to work with them. They have who they have and that's it. Even companies like Spring who do work with a lot of Intl. teams can't keep up with demand. My understanding is that they are only working with properly levelled teams this year. Where does that leave IO(C) 6 teams?

Look at Flyers. They have been working with Spring for years now, have several globes in IO6 and they were the first non-US team to get a globe in a Sr. division in 2016. How long have they been at it, and they have the resources and ability to work with outside coaches. They wanted to play with the big dogs and have been busting their butts for years now to do it. Many teams just can't do that due to costs.

Like I said, I hate the top 3 thing, but I don't think changing it right now will help. We need more equity. Honestly, I think the best we can do at the moment is bring in a minimum scoring to make finals, at least in the Intl divisions. That way, these teams still have the motivation to attend, are pushed to get better, but they're not being shut out completely by strong US (and maybe Canadian) programs. A lot of programs will see fair placements as something they will never attain and will just stop attending.

I disagree with this.

I know the team that represented DCA (dutch cheer association) and I won't lie and tell you that I was happy seeing their performance.I wasn't. I felt sad for them, because i know how much energy/effort and time, was invested into preparing for worlds. And of course there were travel costs involved.

Honestly though, I think that they were extremely nervous and it showed.
If they were to win nationals this year, I hope that they will be able to go, and improve this year's placement.

Having only been in cheer for about 1,5-2 years, I have seen them perform at nationals 3 times now and they are one of the more consistent teams in their division.

Gymnastics does have a rule like that though... in any Olympics or World championships, a maximum of two athletes per country can compete in all round finals

Back