OT A Non-video Webinar On Booking Cheap Airfare

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

ufomom

Cheer Parent
Dec 14, 2009
@12stepCheermom ... I think you mentioned wanting information on this.

From Money Magazine April 2013...

The best time to buy a ticket for non-holiday domestic travel is 49 days before departure. For international, 81 days before departure. Don't buy more than 200 days in advance as tickets bought that far ahead are as costly as last-minute fares.

Shop on Tuesday afternoons since most domestic sales launch late Monday and are soon matched by rivals. For non-vacation destinations, buy on a weekend as that strategy results in an average savings of 5%. (To me this means, buy for Dallas or Atlanta on the weekend and Orlando on Tuesday).

Kayak has a Price Trend predictor that forcasts whether prices are headed up or down.

From me: I set weekly fare alerts on Kayak as soon as I know the travel schedule. This way I have a pretty good idea of the low fare for an area. For me, this means under $200 for both Atlanta and Dallas. Those I book as soon as I can budget it rather than waiting for 49 days so I can take advantage of the best times for departure. Nothing is worse than starting a cheer comp weekend than heading to the airport at 5 AM.

I realize that the Money Magazine advice conflicts a little bit as they are quoting various travel gurus, so I do all of it and try to hit the under my $200 sweet spot. I try to book far enough ahead so I can avoid paying for them at Christmas time.:eek:

If you find Spirit is the lowest fare, please be aware that they have expensive carry on and checked bag fees. They can still work for you, but you have to plan in advance and calculate the fees in your airfare. You are allowed one free personal item...ONE that is about back pack size. Carry on bags are more expensive than checked bags, and both are cheaper if you book in advance vs paying at the airport.

I realize that the Money advice conflicts a little bit, so I tend to do all of it.
I realize that the Money advice conflicts a little bit, so I tend to do all of it.

@12stepCheermom
If you find Spirit is the lowest fare, please be aware that they have expensive carry on and checked bag fees. They can still work for you, but you have to plan in advance and calculate the fees in your airfare. You are allowed one free personal item...ONE that is about back pack size. Carry on bags are more expensive than checked bags, and both are cheaper if you book in advance vs paying at the airport.

Also, Spirit often only has one flight per day to a destination. If a flight is overbooked, or there is any mechanical issues with a plane, there are many complaints online from people stating they will refund your money or you have to wait for the next Spirit flight out. Obviously, that refund won't come close to the price of a same day ticket.

Back