All-Star A Year Off?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 3, 2011
Has anyone on here taken a year off? I think i am going to have to... but have any of you ever done it? If i continue to take a tumbling class or two all of next year will I loose a lot of my skills? Also I'm afraid that my coaches won't want to put me back on the level 5 team because I quit for one year. Also I'm afraid I might loose some of the passion I have for it

I took a year off and just tumbled 2 to 3 times a week! but you do miss cheer A LOT if you love it as much as i do!

If it's right for you at the time go for it. Worry about yourself and not what's going to happen when you return or what people are going to think. It's better to not try out and possibly come back mid season if you miss it, than to be placed on a team but not committed whole heartedly and have to quit.

Taking a year off for me was HORRIBLE I absolutely hated it. I was injured so I didn't have a choice, but unless you really have to do it I wouldn't

thanks guys. it will kill me. im so obsessive with cheer and i love it soo much. at the same time, my parents cant afford it. i would have to find 5,000 on my own. if i saved this upcoming year (junior year)... i could still cheer senior year

I had to take a year off for a similar reason... my parents put me in private school and we couldn't afford both so I took the year off and hated it! I ended up leaving that school so I could cheer! Have you tried talking to your gym owner about going on a payment plan or maybe working at the gym to cover some of your costs? Theres also fundraising options! Good luck!!

thanks guys. it will kill me. im so obsessive with cheer and i love it soo much. at the same time, my parents cant afford it. i would have to find 5,000 on my own. if i saved this upcoming year (junior year)... i could still cheer senior year
You could always do HS cheer in the mean time?
Perhaps see if your gym has a lower level team that you can be on that doesn't travel as much. (Being on a level 3 or 4 team would still keep you in shape and probably lower the cost)
Talk to them about fundraising and sponsorship opportunities.
Does your gym have a half year team? Maybe you can save up your money in the mean time and just tumble during the week. And then you can join a half year team. And maybe if they need you, they pull you up.

I have one word for you, SPONSORSHIP!! You can absolutely manage to sponsor your entire season. Just make sure you have a good sponsorship letter and you're truly genuine when presenting it!

I'm taking a year off this upcoming season. Im going to college and with the first year expenses of college and how busy I will be. I just know it won't be a good idea and with the stress of leaving home and keeping up with a demanding major I don't see how I will possibly have time. I am going to try out for a senior or an international team when I am a sophomore or cheer for my college. My advice to you is to take the year off. It's going to be hard, extremely hard but if you finically just cannot do it then don't stretch yourself too thin. On the other hand don't limit yourself to just a yes or no answer. Talk to your gym, coaches, family, local businesses, etc and see if there is a sponsor or a person willing to work out a payment plan or discount. If you explain your situation to people I'm sure they will understand. Good luck!

i took a year off and i eneded up never going back ):
talk about a BIG regret.....
im kind of scared of that too! i am afraid i won't be in shape enough and then i wont be able to return the next year. also, my gym doesn't have any half year teams, and we have never done sponsorship letters

im kind of scared of that too! i am afraid i won't be in shape enough and then i wont be able to return the next year. also, my gym doesn't have any half year teams, and we have never done sponsorship letters

i just cheer for my high school now! it isn't THAT bad but seeing all star girls at competitions just brings back a lot of good memories and makes me sad ): i'm thinking about possibly getting back into it this year, i REALLY want too! but i have lost skills since I quit. Before i quit i had a standing tuck and a layout! i bost of those. luckily i can still do easy stuff and havent lost everything. but my flexibility has gone down too and i'm definatley not as fit as i used to be. i try to get back in the gym and tumble as often as i can, but sometimes it just doesnt work out. its really sad ):

I took about 9 months off (injury) but I came back with pretty much all the same skills But just without all my flexibility! I think you'll be just fine

I took a year off for the 2010-2011 season and I would have super-seniored for a team I dreamed of being on forever. The trip there and back is about a 3 and a half hour round trip and it is not an easy drive. The toll cost getting there are about 8 dollars each way. Plus, it used up over a half tank of gas and all of my family's cars are big gas guzzling SUV's . Soo I decided not to do it and save up money for college instead..... Biggest regret of my life :( I missed it soooo much! Hopefully this year I'll do an open team!

A lot of people have already answered buttt I'll tell you my thoughts anyways haha. I'm taking a year off from my gym this coming season since it is my senior year. Instead I am going to continue with high school cheerleading and 3 to 4 times a week after high school practices I am going to go to a private tumbling class. That way I can prepare for college, however, I won't get extra stunting practice, I know I will miss all of the people there but it will be best because of all the stresses of senior year.
Also, the coaches shouldn't not put you onthe level 5 team just because you take a year off. They should base if you make level 5 off of your skills, not if you leave the gym for a year. I don't think you will loose your drive for cheerleading, if anything I think it will make you want to work harder for it so that next season you secure your spot for level 5. :)

Back