Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SharkDad

Most Positive, Best Parent '12
Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 15, 2009
These two news pieces came out yesterday. I am personally disappointed in the AACCA response by Jim Lord in the ABC piece. The CNN video includes CEA SSX, Raleigh Coed, ACE, Texas, Ga, and some other gyms. I think this is one of the most important issues on cheer today to discuss so I am happy there is an official medical position that has been taken.

Whenever they quote the number of injuries that happen today as opposed to 30 years ago, I wish they would also quote the increase in the number of cheerleaders today as opposed to 30 years ago. Also, are they basing these numbers on all-star cheer injuries or on high school/middle school/youth/rec cheer injuries, or does everything just get lumped together when they are figuring out the statistics? While I'm not questioning the increase in injuries and the kinds of serious injuries, it just feels sometimes that when they air these stories they're comparing apples to oranges.

Whenever they quote the number of injuries that happen today as opposed to 30 years ago, I wish they would also quote the increase in the number of cheerleaders today as opposed to 30 years ago. Also, are they basing these numbers on all-star cheer injuries or on high school/middle school/youth/rec cheer injuries, or does everything just get lumped together when they are figuring out the statistics? While I'm not questioning the increase in injuries and the kinds of serious injuries, it just feels sometimes that when they air these stories they're comparing apples to oranges.
I agree! But as you know, they don't get it themselves as reporters!
I am hoping this will force schools to hire real coaches instead of a "teacher/sponsor" that has no clue what he or she is doing. The school systems will be forced to actually pay someone to coach the cheerleaders.
I don't see this impacting all-star much other than possibly having more trained emergency response on site.
Would love to know what everyone thinks. :)

CheerBank you are right and the problem there is that there is no body that oversees cheer for the media to go to for representation. The USASF is closest but only represents All-star cheer and there are many more forms out there that are unfortunately more risky and horribly underrepresented.

The important thing they have set out is safety recommendations for all of cheer including coaching credentialing, safe practice, performance, and competition surface, set training seasons with time for recovery. These are basic training safety factors for all sports, including athletes at elite levels.

Why should cheer put kids at risk by ignoring basic pediatric safety recommendations?

The ABC video was interesting, it talked about HS cheer safety and its issues but then mostly showed All Star and College videos.

Then it said the AAP wanted HS teams to not build pyramids over 2-high, which is already a rule.. "Dangerous stunts only to be on padded/soft surfaces," that already exists.. and "no more trampolines," umm those were taken away years ago.

Then the CNN one also shows mostly all star teams but addresses HS safety issues and the fact that school cheering should be a sport.. then they showed Dancers from my University (KU), who don't do anything athletic at all.

Media is lacking their credibility in these 'scare tactic' stories

The ABC video was interesting, it talked about HS cheer safety and its issues but then mostly showed All Star and College videos.

Then it said the AAP wanted HS teams to not build pyramids over 2-high, which is already a rule.. "Dangerous stunts only to be on padded/soft surfaces," that already exists.. and "no more trampolines," umm those were taken away years ago.

Then the CNN one also shows mostly all star teams but addresses HS safety issues and the fact that school cheering should be a sport.. then they showed Dancers from my University (KU), who don't do anything athletic at all.

Cheer is only a sport in 29 out of 50 states. It is not highly organized and there is no official governing body of the sport (because it isn't a sport). We are assuming everyone plays by these rules that we consider common sense.

Cheer is only a sport in 29 out of 50 states. It is not highly organized and there is no official governing body of the sport (because it isn't a sport). We are assuming everyone plays by these rules that we consider common sense.
That is true. I guess I forget that the rules set forth for HS by AACCA or NFHS aren't what every coach considers to be a rule or for them. Which is why I am not too upset by these news reports because the awareness will cause schools to make the appropriate changes to conform to some kinds of rules. (Or atleast thats my hope lol)

The video lost all credibly when it started mentioning HS teams not building over 2-high. I'm pretty sure it's been a rule for like 20 years now? Same with trampolines. Also, with the first two falls, they were caught fine. Don't compare us to janky high school teams that can't do a prep and baulk out of their tumbling.
"...A lot like acrobats." and they show a dance team... I hate it when people show dance teams as cheerleaders. No. Just no.
I agree, the media is lacking total credibility to make a good story.

The video lost all credibly when it started mentioning HS teams not building over 2-high. I'm pretty sure it's been a rule for like 20 years now? Same with trampolines. Also, with the first two falls, they were caught fine. Don't compare us to janky high school teams that can't do a prep and baulk out of their tumbling.
"...A lot like acrobats." and they show a dance team... I hate it when people show dance teams as cheerleaders. No. Just no.
I agree, the media is lacking total credibility to make a good story.

The AAP made this report exactly for the janky high school teams that can't do a prep but try to do things that are normal to you and others.

Don't let the media's presentation of cheer videos take away from how important this report is to the sport.

The AAP made this report exactly for the janky high school teams that can't do a prep but try to do things that are normal to you and others.

Don't let the media's presentation of cheer videos take away from how important this report is to the sport.
True. I do realize that it is really important to give cheer benefits of a sports team, whether being a sport or not, because there is a high risk factor with throwing people in the air, whether it's UK or some janky high school.

But the dance team thing... Can't stand it. When people say to my face that "all cheerleaders do is kick" I hate seeing videos of dancers being called cheerleaders supporting these ignorant people.

*yawns* someone reports on the same subject of how dangerous cheerleading is and how we need to be a sport for safety reasons and how we need proper coaches...but not enough is getting done other than limiting...tumbling in allstar, and getting rid of double downs in high school...(and adding inversions to pyramids :rolleyes: ) its the same every year...wake me up when someone or a governing body really takes charge and by governing body Im expecting it to be run by someone who has actually cheered a day in their life ie. not jeff webb. but of course this is just my humble opinion.

I'm still baffled that they think grass is an appropriate surface to practice on. I broke my hand tumbling on the grass this year because that was the only space my school could manage to give us for tryouts, and we practice out there quite often. I refuse to tumble on grass now and will never ever let my team when I am a coach.

*yawns* someone reports on the same subject of how dangerous cheerleading is and how we need to be a sport for safety reasons and how we need proper coaches...but not enough is getting done other than limiting...tumbling in allstar, and getting rid of double downs in high school...(and adding inversions to pyramids :rolleyes: ) its the same every year...wake me up when someone or a governing body really takes charge and by governing body Im expecting it to be run by someone who has actually cheered a day in their life ie. not jeff webb. but of course this is just my humble opinion.

The big difference is that this is not just a journalism article. If the American Association of Pediatrics publishes in a journal then insurance companies will take note of that. The next injury after a group does not follow the AAP recommendation will open someone up for a liability lawsuit. Up until now no one has been able to win these in court because no expert has ever spoken out about cheer risks.

The two paths I see right now:

1: Nothing changes. industry will still rule the sport and just change rules to match the AAP recommendations to cover themselves

2: (my hopes) Coaches and athlete representatives take action and form/reform the governing bodies so that the sport can be properly represented through these new changes.

These changes will happen anyway, but there is a great possibility season limits, needless restrictions on skills, etc. will happen because no one is looking out for the best interest of the sport.

Does AACCA have a Board of Directors? A rules committee? Bylaws? Is it possible that people who work for AACCA do not know that they are not following the recommendations of medical professionals in regards to surface and critical height?

Back