All-Star ? About Amount Of Tumbling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
How many times a week do you recommend athletes tumble? Is tumbling say 5 out of 7 days of the week too much strain, wear, and tear on athletes that are still growing? or Great because they are getting lots of repetition, muscle memory, building strength, and stamina? How much is too much? What is recommended?

How many times a week do you recommend athletes tumble? Is tumbling say 5 out of 7 days of the week too much strain, wear, and tear on athletes that are still growing? or Great because they are getting lots of repetition, muscle memory, building strength, and stamina? How much is too much? What is recommended?

Are these privates or classes? Or just practices? A combo of both?

I always tell people that more is not always better. There are people out there who think that a private every day means that their kid is going to progress to say, Level 5 faster. Nope. Your kid is not guaranteed to gain skills because they're in the gym more than others.

I'd focus more on QUALITY instruction than number of hours/days.

Depending on the coach, your kid can take a private 2x a week and get more out of it (clean existing skills or maybe gain some new ones) than doing a full week with someone else.

For example, there was a discussion about a Worlds team (maybe Senior Elite) that only practiced two days per week for a shorter time than some teams. However, the practice is structured so that kids get the most out of it and the coaches maximize the time that they have. This is in comparison to some teams that have longer practices and practice more days. So more isn't always the best thing.

My youngest CP is at the gym 4 days a week. Practice twice a week for 2 1/2 hours each time. A tumble class once a week for an hour. A 30 min. private once a week when time and money permit. She also started stretching 3 times a week at home. I do know some of her friends are at the gym 6 days a week for hours at a time. I was just curious if that is more helpful or hurtful.

Even when we work out as adults, it's recommended that you take a rest day to give yourself a break. Same for kids. They need time to rest, indulge other non-cheer interests, work on school, etc. You also do not want to risk having kids tumble when tired and possibly get injured (or a mental block.)

Cp has practice twice a week now during the summer. One practice day there is also a tumbling class and the other practice day there is also a Cheer 360 class which is a cheer conditioning class, so those 2 times a week are 3 and 4 hour time blocks respectively. Right now she goes a third time a week for a private if we can fit it in. After the summer her level tumbling class will be on a different day than her practices so she will definitely be in the gym 3 days a week, 4 if we can fit in a private and/or she decides to go to open tumble. My kid is not a gym rat, never has been, and benefits from the down time both physically and mentally.

In hindsight tumbling 5 days a week is not good for the developing body. Being in the gym 5 days isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as other things can be worked on or done to allow for rest/off days.

**If you want to know who your real cheer friends are just change gyms**

Tumbling is a high intensity physical workout, and it should be treated just like any other workout.

If you're just maintaining your tumbling (i.e. coach tells you to come in and throw your pass a few times say ~ 30 minutes total) then tumbling five days a week is no big deal as long as you're getting proper rest, hydration, and nutrition.

However, if you tumble for an extended period (say a 1 hour private lesson, and a 1 hour open gym, plus that 2 hour practice you had this morning) you should really be taking some time off so you don't burn out.

There's always exceptions to the rule. Some people can and do tumble 5 or 6 days a week, and hit the gym on top to boot. That's why there is no 100% correct answer for this question. The most important thing is that your child knows their limit. If you aren't sure, ask your child's coach. Ask if your child appeared sluggish, or couldn't throw their pass or if it looked sloppy. A parent usually can't even watch their child practice/ tumble.

For example, there was a discussion about a Worlds team (maybe Senior Elite) that only practiced two days per week for a shorter time than some teams. However, the practice is structured so that kids get the most out of it and the coaches maximize the time that they have. This is in comparison to some teams that have longer practices and practice more days. So more isn't always the best thing.

My high school team was by no means Senior Elite level, but when our coach came she really focused on the idea of reasonable practice time. Old coach had us practicing from 6-9 with literally no progress. When the current coach came in she was adamant about having a meaningful 2 hour practice where we could accomplish everything without feeling run down. We also practiced everyday. We would do 4-5 full outs per practice.

Latest posts

Back