All-Star Advice Please?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 3, 2011
Ok, so I just found out one of the tumbling instructors is leaving my gym, let's call him instructor a. The other will be instructor b. I am deathly afraid to tumble with instructor b because he has dropped me multiple times and I don't trust him, he is also why I am absolutely mental about my standing and running handsprings. Instructor A is great, he's patient, kind, and I trust him. Now that Instructor A is gone, what should I do? Suggestions? Hopefully I made sense!

Yeah, the thing is the guy I don't trust is also my coaches boyfriend (?) so if I told her she'd go ballistic. There isn't an option c which stinks. I don't know if they will be replacing instructor A which scares me a bit. Thank you for your advice.

I agree with what others have said. If you don't trust him, don't tumble with him. Take privates some place else. Go to a gymnastics gym and see if you can take privates or get into a class.

I use to have this tumbling coach that was not a good spot. He always had me do stuff before I was ready, and dropped people multiple times. I use to have a problem where I wouldn't throw my tumbling for him. He would say, "Have I ever dropped you?"... "Uh, yes?". Or he would be like "You just need to trust me!"... "But I don't". We use to not get along at all, so I switched classes.

Don't tumble if you don't feel safe. Could you get privates or something like that with a different coach?

You definitely don't want to tumble with someone you don't trust. I have seen my share of bad spotting, but spotters aren't supposed to "catch" you. YOU are supposed to execute the skill and they are there to make sure you land it safely. If a kid freaks after they set for a tuck (for example) there's not much a spotter can do besides try to save your life somehow, but is it their fault that you fell? If it happens frequently then the athletes should go back to the belt (or barrel if it's a bhs) to either learn the skill better or work on mental training.

Thanks for the recommendation Cupieqt :)

I think privates with a gymnastics coach is your best bet, most cheer coaches prob wouldn't like to hear that you're training at another cheer gym, but gymnastics is a different story (no conflict of interests). Also gymnastics gyms usually have more equipment and spotting devices for tumbling than most cheer gyms (in my experience).

Besides that I would I would suggest you take a look at my handspring tutorial under the 'emotional training' section. Most people feel the best way to get over fear of tumbling is just to be spotted over and over but its really when you become more self reliant that the fear lessens. Try to do more drills on your own, work standing bridges, bridge kick overs, back walkovers, back limbers, even back rolls, just get comfortable with going backwards on your own. If your gym has a loose foam pit you can just practice falling back into it, if you have serious fear issues going backward that should get your heart pumping, learn to actually enjoy that feeling in this easy and safe way. Enjoying this feeling might seem impossible or strange but if you like roller coasters or theme park rides you already enjoy it, if not you can learn to with enough practice :]

Hope that helps, let me know if I can help some more.

Frank

Thanks for the recommendation Cupieqt :)

I think privates with a gymnastics coach is your best bet, most cheer coaches prob wouldn't like to hear that you're training at another cheer gym, but gymnastics is a different story (no conflict of interests). Also gymnastics gyms usually have more equipment and spotting devices for tumbling than most cheer gyms (in my experience).

Besides that I would I would suggest you take a look at my handspring tutorial under the 'emotional training' section. Most people feel the best way to get over fear of tumbling is just to be spotted over and over but its really when you become more self reliant that the fear lessens. Try to do more drills on your own, work standing bridges, bridge kick overs, back walkovers, back limbers, even back rolls, just get comfortable with going backwards on your own. If your gym has a loose foam pit you can just practice falling back into it, if you have serious fear issues going backward that should get your heart pumping, learn to actually enjoy that feeling in this easy and safe way. Enjoying this feeling might seem impossible or strange but if you like roller coasters or theme park rides you already enjoy it, if not you can learn to with enough practice :]

Hope that helps, let me know if I can help some more.

Frank
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back