All-Star Age Or Skill

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Supermom

Cheer Parent
Aug 6, 2010
Our gym may not have a jr/youth team advanced enough for my 10 year old daughter. Is it more important to keep her with kids her age (even if she gets board) or to keep her with older kids of her skill level?

I'm offering my kids in this predicament the opportunity to crossover

I would put her with the older kids. If she has the skills there is no point in holding her back on a team where she can't show them off. That is strictly on the skills side of things, but if you think she may not fit in with the older kids or any other problems then I would keep her with her own age.

Personally, I prefer to keep kids in their age and a bit stronger than their current skill level where they are for one more year. They dominate and it makes them hungrier for the next level. It depends on how fast kids progress though. Some shoot through levels quickly

Honestly, I see this all of the time... let me weigh-in here. You need to look at EVERY category all around, not just "oh, my daughter has a tuck and should be on a level 3" If she isn't completely maxed out in all areas- jumps, stunting, standing tumbling, running tumbling, dance/motions- then it's not a travesty to keep her at level 2 with her peers for another year.

Example:

Your gym has a Senior 3 or Junior 2 for her. Does she have more skills than most of those seniors? If not, I'd keep her on Juniors. It's difficult to justify putting a 10 year old on a Senior team if she's gonna be in the middle of the pack for everything except say maybe flying.

Kid A has:
A roundoff tuck
a tt bhs
poor jumps
poor dance
average flying

Kid B has:
Specialty to tuck
punch front
Triple toe triple bhs
hyperextended jumps
fierce dancer
flexed body positions and excellent body control for flying

Kid A could use another year at level 2 to develop, while Kid B is gonna be one of your top kids on a Level 3 team, and would absolutely be stifled on a Level 2.

jmho:)

Our gym may not have a jr/youth team advanced enough for my 10 year old daughter. Is it more important to keep her with kids her age (even if she gets board) or to keep her with older kids of her skill level?

In this situation I think you should probably talk to the coaches. Is it a huge level difference? Or could she be put on a jr4 team? If she's throwing double fulls and the youth team is level 1 I can understand her being bored. Butttt- I think you should consider that on a senior team she will possibly be with college freshman. Because of the cut off date at the time, I was even able to cheer my sophomore year of college. that's a HUGE age/maturity difference.

We are running into the same problem! Mydaughter crosses over so she is on a team of peers and also goes up to a more challenging team. She enjoys both for what they are!

I would say skills too but ask yourself these 2 questions:

Is she mature enough to handle being around older kids and possibly harder coaching?
Are you prepared to talk to your child if she hears something at practice that is not 'appropriate' for a 10 year old?

I agree with @Num1Stunta that it depends on 'skill' and level span. Are we talking youth 2 and senior 4? Mini 1 and Junior 3 (or 4!)..that and how far developed she is in her 'level' skills will definitely make a difference. Like stated, if she's got great tumbling but is rough in other areas, take the time and develop them. You don't want to put them on a team where they may be bored (but they might NEVER be!) BUT, you don't want them to be put on a team where they're struggling or have to nugget in the back because they're not strong enough in other areas.

I agree with @Num1Stunta that it depends on 'skill' and level span. Are we talking youth 2 and senior 4? Mini 1 and Junior 3 (or 4!)..that and how far developed she is in her 'level' skills will definitely make a difference. Like stated, if she's got great tumbling but is rough in other areas, take the time and develop them. You don't want to put them on a team where they may be bored (but they might NEVER be!) BUT, you don't want them to be put on a team where they're struggling or have to nugget in the back because they're not strong enough in other areas.

Yes, well said:) I had a situation like this at my prior gym- a 10 or 11 yr old, I believe, with a solid standing tuck, punch through to layout, and gorgeous jumps. She made Junior 4, but didn't make it past the summer because she couldn't keep up with the choreography, and was not a strong base or a strong flyer. The other girls on the team were cruel to her, as she was completely lost through most of the routine, and they didn't feel she belonged there. Overall, even though it was her peer age group, she was miserable. She got bumped to my Senior 3, where she flew for us and was our last pass:)

Watching tryouts this year, it's been obvious at our gym that having strong tumbling - doesn't necessarily guarantee you a spot on a team equal to your tumbling ability. It really is the total package of having good jumps, being able to keep up with the choreography, and being able to stunt (whether it be as a base or flyer).

Having a tuck isn't a guarantee you'll make a level 3 team, having a layout doesn't ensure that you'll be on a level 4 team.

That's why when the question is whether someone's ready to be on a higher level team, I think all of those factors have to be taken into consideration - along with the obvious maturity and social issues.

Back