Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 16, 2012
Okay, I really am confused by this.
Youth is 11 and under,
Junior is 14 and under
Senior is 10 (some places say 12) to 18
International is 15 and up
Level 6 is 17 and up.

How do gyms decide if you belong on a senior or junior level team? If you are 13, and they have a senior and a junior..What would you get placed on?

Sorry if theres a post about this, I couldn't find it.

normally with owners/coaches they will put you on a team based on maturity and skill. usually if there is a junior able to be on a senior team they will place them on the senior team permitting they are a mature well rounded athlete (as in skill wise and personality) on the senior team, if said junior is still immature they normally remain in with their age gap. also often times they will ask you to double team at least this is what has been more apparent to me anyways. does my ramble make sense?

Depends what level you are.

If you're 13 you're junior age, but could compete on a senior team. With the exception of level 5 which is the 10 and up -restricted- and 12 and up-worlds eligible, you can always compete up an age bracket but older kids can't compete down an age bracket.

So it depends, if you're level 4 and the only team in your gym that's level 4 is a senior team, you'd probably be out on that. If the only team in your gym that's level four is a youth team....you're out of luck. You'd have to be on a senior or junior team that was a different level.

Ideally, you'd want to be a junior level 4 team. But depending on the size of your program there may not be level options in the different age ranges and they have to make you fit where they can. But at 13 you'd be eligible for junior, senior (restricted and level 5). You're too young for international or open teams.

Senior levels 1-4 and restricted 5 is 10-18 yrs old and Worlds level 5 is 12-18 yrs.
Age is not the only factor when deciding teams you have to think about the athletes skill level, stunting strengths/weakness, and if they are mature enough to handle a senior team or do better with younger athletes on a junior team. And it all just depends on the teams needs...

Okay, I really am confused by this.
Youth is 11 and under,
Junior is 14 and under
Senior is 10 (some places say 12) to 18
International is 15 and up
Level 6 is 17 and up.

How do gyms decide if you belong on a senior or junior level team? If you are 13, and they have a senior and a junior..What would you get placed on?

Sorry if theres a post about this, I couldn't find it.
It would really depend on the policies of the gym. Our gym keeps you on your appropriately aged team until you age out. They will allow you to crossover to an older team if you fall into the age range but for example if you are 14 & under at the start of the season, you are still on one of the junior teams.
Other gyms may move their athletes up to older teams as they progress solely by level.
For senior teams, it's 10 and older for sr 1-4 and 12 and old for Level 5 worlds teams. Senior Restricted 5 is 10 and older.

ETA: sorry for the redundancy. Should have seen other posts.

It's up to the coaches' discretion i.e. it is not solely age-based if you fall into multiple age brackets.

I was just confused, im 14 and not an all star cheerleader just quite confused by junior and senior seperation

Long and short, it's all very subjective depending on gym factors: ages/skill level of teams offered; and dependent on child factors: child's skill level, age, maturity.

If a gym has the appropriate age/level team, typically you stay there until you fully 'age out'- meaning you HAVE to move up to the next age group (12 going to junior, 15 going to senior etc). Some ages have a gray area- if you're 10, you could be on a youth, junior, or senior team. Which is just silly, in my opinion..

I think skill set and where they need you is a big factor on placement. For example, CP is 13 and very tall for her age. Our gym has both senior and junior level-appropriate teams she could be on. She's a fierce base. On the junior team she would be the tallest and have to be a back spot. Since her strengths are better used as a main base, she was place on the Senior team.

Latest posts

Back