All-Star All About Acl Braces

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

last June I tore my ACL , MCL , LCL , and destroyed my meniscus and i got a DonJoy brace. mine was only like $700 i think ? I do not know the actual price because my insurance covered it but, if you go to DonJoy Knee Braces, Ankle Braces and Supports - Welcome to donjoy.com you can look at their different braces. My doctor told me that when I go back to tumbling that I shouldn't be worried about re-tearing my "bad" ACL bc it is actually the stronger one now and that i should be more worried about overpowering my "good" ACL. I am now back to tumbling full force and I am even better than before my injury. Which is what happens in most cases bc you try your best to prevent the same thing from happening.

I have torn my acl several times and have has several different braces. The first time was ACL, MCL, medial meniscus, and lateral meniscus. I had surgery, rehabbed for 6 months, and got a $1400 Don Joy brace. My surgeon is the Pittsburgh Penguins doctor and his partner is the Pittsburgh Steelers doctor, so they are both very good with sports injuries and at the time they preferred Don Joy braces. It was measured for my at my thigh and my calf, so it was slightly custom, along with picking my colors and cushion material. I hated it. It didnt account for the fact that I have really bad "knock knees" so my knee was at an angle and this rock hard brace was not, the cushioning inside was not enough to account for it, and the hinge poked out like 3 inches. This meant that any time I jumped or tumbled in it, i got a giant bruise on my good leg from it smacking it, and bruises all over my bad knee. So, I retear my acl and the next time he went to order me a brace I asked him for a different one and told him why I hated the first one. He said he had just switched all his players over to a brace brand called "Breg" and that it was a little bit more custom. My Breg brace was measured like every few inches from my calf up to my thigh, then I was measured for the angle of my knee. This brace had more cushion inside, a smaller hinge, and just overall a better fit. I did have to get another one when I retore my acl again and my thigh muscle was a different size but it is well worth it. I believe this one was about $1600. My insurance covered all of mine.

last June I tore my ACL , MCL , LCL , and destroyed my meniscus and i got a DonJoy brace. mine was only like $700 i think ? I do not know the actual price because my insurance covered it but, if you go to DonJoy Knee Braces, Ankle Braces and Supports - Welcome to donjoy.com you can look at their different braces. My doctor told me that when I go back to tumbling that I shouldn't be worried about re-tearing my "bad" ACL bc it is actually the stronger one now and that i should be more worried about overpowering my "good" ACL. I am now back to tumbling full force and I am even better than before my injury. Which is what happens in most cases bc you try your best to prevent the same thing from happening.
This is the exact same as me! Tore all the same things and had my surgery last June too!

My CP tore her ACL a few years back, actually she tore both, but in different years. She got a specially measured DonJoy and only wore it for 2-3 weeks. My insurance paid for it, it was around $1,600.00. She changed to an adjustable hinged knee brace that was about $60.00 and use it for the cheerleading season.
Where did she get the second brace from?? Just wondering because I'm getting my first brace soon but I have a feeling I will want to switch

Where did she get the second brace from?? Just wondering because I'm getting my first brace soon but I have a feeling I will want to switch

I bought it online an the brace shop. It a neoprene hinged knee brace by donjoy. It was great because you can remove the hinges to wash it.

If you tear it once is retearing it more likely? ACEDAD

Generally they say because the doctor can make your new ACL as thick as they want, that it is not that likely to re-tear your ACL. UNLESS your body type is more prone to the injury, i.e. hyper extended knees... aka me.

Just do whatever the doctor and physical therapist tell you. Every petty exercise or stretch. Don't rush coming back, because coming back a month or a week early is not worth being in pain the rest of your life. Wear your brace as often as you can, I still wear mine when I do anything, and my last surgery was over 5 years ago. I've had 6 knee surgeries and have torn my ACL 3 times :( and I would not suggest rushing back. It doesn't matter how strong you think you are, an ACL tear is not preventable. I've heard stories of people tearing it walking. My brother tore his jumping out of a work truck. The last time I tore it was getting into my car. So just do every little thing you can to help yourself out and get strong and try to protect that stupid ligament the best you can. ;)

Generally they say because the doctor can make your new ACL as thick as they want, that it is not that likely to re-tear your ACL. UNLESS your body type is more prone to the injury, i.e. hyper extended knees... aka me.

Just do whatever the doctor and physical therapist tell you. Every petty exercise or stretch. Don't rush coming back, because coming back a month or a week early is not worth being in pain the rest of your life. Wear your brace as often as you can, I still wear mine when I do anything, and my last surgery was over 5 years ago. I've had 6 knee surgeries and have torn my ACL 3 times :( and I would not suggest rushing back. It doesn't matter how strong you think you are, an ACL tear is not preventable. I've heard stories of people tearing it walking. My brother tore his jumping out of a work truck. The last time I tore it was getting into my car. So just do every little thing you can to help yourself out and get strong and try to protect that stupid ligament the best you can. ;)

I have double jointed knees.... God this sucks so much. :mad:

If you tear it once is retearing it more likely? ACEDAD

Not if you have gone through the proper strengthening and condition program and you continue those exercises after you complete the program. My daughter tore her ACL in September and is back to tumbling without a brace. Her doctor, PT, and Conditioning coach all say that after an ACL has been reconstructed doctor prescribe braces more for the person's confidence, they do not protect a person from re-tearing their their ACL, because it takes tremendous force to tear ACL and no braces can comprehend that force. You have to make the muscles around the ACL stronger to comprehend the forces that could cause a person to tear their ACL. Look at Shawn Johnson (Olympic Gymnast who also tore her AC) She does not wear a brace when she competes and she is doing elite level tumbling.

Back